Q for Cubase users with MODX/Montage...

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

pax-eterna
Australia

Q for Cubase users with MODX/Montage...

Unread post by pax-eterna » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:32 am

I am about to finally ditch Cakewalk/Sonar after many MANY years....but before I jump to either Reaper, Cubase AI (or elements), or Presonus Studio One, I just wanted to ask if it really worth using Cubase because of the Yamaha tie-in, or does the MODX/Montage work equally as well in other DAWs?

I will have a learning curve no matter which one I choose, but if Cubase is streets ahead JUST because of Yamaha, then I'll jump for that one.

Thanks.

PS: It's not a better or worse thing I'm after - they are all good, just different...I just need to be sure of which direction I am going to move in is all.
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: Q for Cubase users with MODX/Montage...

Unread post by Saul » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:39 am

Although I do like Presonus Studio One I would advise not to go down that route if you want to use VST's because they charge extra for that functionality. Yes it is NOT VST compatible out of the box :(

Cubase of course is the VST King of the hill so no such issues there. My experiences with Cubase have not been great. When it did work, it would often crash, lock up, drop to the desktop etc which is not exactly ideal when working on your latest masterpiece!

You will find some Reaper fans on the forum and from what I have seen and heard it is an excellent DAW.

I use Logic Pro X myself which only runs on a Mac so might not be of interest.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:39 am

I didn't have good experiences of Cubase YEARS ago, but that was back at Cubase for Windows V 1.0 :shock:

probably struggling to work on the low spec PCs around at that time . . . Plus - I was a beginner too . . .

(first impressions can be terribly damaging if they are not good . . . )

Now supported by Steinberg/Yamaha, I'm sure it is a fine DAW, and it's popularity speaks for itself . . . .

At work, I supported ProTools and Digital Performer primarily, but the upgrade mania that surrounds them was not for me.

The war between the MacOS updates and new DAW versions required as a result, was a constant worry -

not to say expense for the Music Dept. I worked in.

I tinkered with Garage Band a little - not a bad little program . . .

I also used Ardour on Linux, but eventually, after a deal of research settled on Reaper.

Reaper is available for Mac/Windows - and there is a NATIVE Linux version being worked on right now - AND available . .

I like it's Price, it's ethic of improvement/enhancement, and the fact that it is SO customisable.

Don't get me wrong - it works fine out of the Box - but if you have ways of working you prefer, then MOST EVERYTHING

can be changed to what you want . .

I'm on my second licence (sees you through TWO Full VERSION UPGRADES) and will buy a third in due course.

The Full licence is ONLY $50. It does everything I've ever asked of it, and it seems bulletproof On Win10 and Win10Pro

It runs flawlessly with Kontakt5 and Komplete11 Ultimate which I have, and I've even done bits of video with it . . .

There are shedloads of free video tutorials to get you going, which had me doing useful stuff from the start . . . .

There is only ONE version, the full one which is about 11Mb. 60 days trial before the nag screen kicks in.

I'm not saying there aren't other options out there, there ARE. I have just got to LIKE Reaper a lot . . . :clap:

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
pax-eterna
Australia

Unread post by pax-eterna » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:06 am

Thanks guys, exactly the info I was after! TBH, if I could afford to replace all my VSTs (Instruments and effects) I'd probably jump for an Mac Pro, but as I can't it is windows all the way hahaha!

Thanks for the + report on Reaper para! I must admit it's price is very nice....from what I have read a lot of Sonar users have jumped and are quite happy with it. I have also read a lot jumped to Cubase and ended up with similar issues to Sonar! Bugginess, crashing, things not really working smoothly.

I will look a little deeper into Reaper.
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:55 am

Pax . . .

I would highly recommend that you look at the Introduction series of Videos - "Reaper 5 Explained"

When I first started with Reaper, I actually purchased a bunch of Kenny Gioia's Videos on Reaper.

He explains everything so clearly and concisely. They are incredibly well done IMO . . . .

and now they are all freely available here: reaper.fm/videos.php

To be honest, If the old creative juices aren't flowing, I just take some time out, relax, and watch some of these vids.

In many ways they make you want to TRY stuff . . . . (Y)

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

pax-eterna
Australia

Unread post by pax-eterna » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:02 pm

Thx...I'll do just that!

One supplementary...in your experience how do you find the MIDI side of things? I have also read that Reaper MIDI is not as well developed.
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Wales

Unread post by Derek » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:37 pm

Nothing wrong with Cubase either. Having been using it since 2001, and it was of course Steinberg who pioneered the VST concept.

Whichever way you go, all of these sequencers are VERY capable.
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:40 am

pax-eterna wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:02 pm
One supplementary...in your experience how do you find the MIDI side of things? I have also read that Reaper MIDI is not as well developed.
Yeah, I've heard grumblings about that but I've not seen any evidence of shortcomings with midi in my own experience. . . .

I believe Reaper came into being initially as an Audio DAW, and Midi was added . . . .

This video (for instance) demonstrates HOW to set up your controller keyboard's knobs, buttons and sliders to operate

Reaper's controls - and navigate inside the DAW from those controls . . .

reaper.fm/videos.php#gVPVY7LYAMs

There's a separate one for setting up the Transport controls, much in the same way . . .

reaper.fm/videos.php#YLQmzY_kWnk

I do actually have an Akai Advance61 controller which includes Reaper support (so it says).

I was disappointed to find that the setting was little more than a graphic "placeholder" and more or less

nothing actually worked. In all likelihood it could be setup using these videos WITHOUT Akai's VIP S/W?

I shall have to re-investigate that at some stage, but my space is limited, and that space is currently occupied

by my Fusion 6HD . . .

parametric

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

pax-eterna
Australia

Unread post by pax-eterna » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:07 am

Thanks.

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”