SOLVED: sorta - Controlling drum arp number via footswitch?

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Australia
pax-eterna

SOLVED: sorta - Controlling drum arp number via footswitch?

Unread post by pax-eterna » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:09 pm

One of the failings (imo) of the Motif series, apart from the module version, was not being able to change a drum arp (or any arp for that matter) via a footswitch. Thereby allowing you to control the sequence of drum arps when playing live.

It seems this legacy has been continued in the MODX as I cannot find any way to select the arp # (along the bottom when Rhythm Pattern button is pressed). You still have to manually change them up and down. Difficult when already using both hands to play.

I wonder if anyone has found if it CAN be done, and if so, how?

Thanks
Last edited by pax-eterna on Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Australia
pax-eterna

Re: Controlling drum arp number via footswitch?

Unread post by pax-eterna » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:40 pm

No-one? ***sound of crickets***
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:08 am

Those crickets are so loud I can here them from here! ;)

I'm not sure I could try this with the FC7 pedal? It is not something I would generally be doing myself though it would definitely be interesting to know if it CAN be done.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Whites DFX 300mm!
User avatar Australia
pax-eterna

Unread post by pax-eterna » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:54 am

and getting louder hahaha!

Yeah I'd like to find out if there is some acrane way of getting around it. The system for adding beats to any performance is ridiculously easy and most of the preset drum arps with the kits are pretty spot on. AND, Yammie give you about 4 variations (including endings on some) but no way, apart from touching the screen with your finger to change between them, or so it would seem!
User avatar Great Britain
dcjams

Unread post by dcjams » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:20 pm

pax-eterna wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:54 am
and getting louder hahaha!

Yeah I'd like to find out if there is some acrane way of getting around it. The system for adding beats to any performance is ridiculously easy and most of the preset drum arps with the kits are pretty spot on. AND, Yammie give you about 4 variations (including endings on some) but no way, apart from touching the screen with your finger to change between them, or so it would seem!
You could use scenes for this. Still not foot control but you can at least be somewhere other than the rhythm pattern screen.
User avatar Australia
pax-eterna

Unread post by pax-eterna » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:54 pm

afaik, scenes do not work either as it seems to default to the first arp slot when you select any scene...eg select scene 4 and the drum arp is still at number one.

I understand why (but don't agree) with why Yamaha do this, and I believe it IS deliberate...if they did then it would then possibly eat into their (VERY lucrative) arranger market....if you could get a 'board with great sounds and arranger like operation for nearly a third of the cost of an Tyros arranger, well who wouldn't do that!
josephdouce

Unread post by josephdouce » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:22 pm

How about a MIDI foot switch?
User avatar Australia
pax-eterna

Unread post by pax-eterna » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:39 am

Nope, read the OP!
User avatar United States of America
RatherBeGigging

Unread post by RatherBeGigging » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:55 am

I'm very interested in the answer to this post. The drum grooves and variations are extremely well done in the MODX.

To the original poster, by any chance have you contacted Yamaha directly with this question?
josephdouce

Unread post by josephdouce » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:18 am

pax-eterna wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:39 am
Nope, read the OP!
I did and there's no mention on MIDI, if it's possible by midi command from a PC then it can be done from a programmable foot switch, I had a look at the midi section of the DATA manual but it's 20 pages of commands and I can't see anything obvious.
User avatar Australia
pax-eterna

Unread post by pax-eterna » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:10 pm

Well I sorta thought it was pretty obvious when wanting to control them via a footswitch, but whatever!

The ONLY device in the Motif range that ever allowed this was the Motif ES Rack. Why it got singled out I don't know. But it does show it is entirley possible, Yamaha choose NOT to implement it!
josephdouce

Unread post by josephdouce » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:47 pm

There's a workaround here https://www.yamahasynth.com/ask-a-quest ... ne-control
Hi Forum,

i was wondering if you're aware of any foot switches compatible with MODX in order to change between scenes 1-4 (or maybe to the rest 5-8).

My ideal scenario is a double (?) or more switches where i can go back and forth and alternate between the intro-main-break-ending rhythm patterns i have assigned to the arpeggio 1-8 of a specific part. Of course this can be expanded in any scene setup....

Do you additionally know how these switches should be configured in setup on Modx's menu??
Hi George,
You can set your eight Scenes to respond to CC (Control Change) messages, such that the following values will make the changes:
value 0 = Scene 1
value 16 = Scene 2
value 32 = Scene 3
value 48 = Scene 4
value 64 = Scene 5
value 80 = Scene 6
value 96 = Scene 7
value 112 = Scene 8

Go to [UTILITY] > “Settings” > “MIDI I/O” > select a CONTROL CHANGE number for “Scene CC”

You would need a programmable Foot Switch that allows you to send a specific CC value when the switch is engaged.
The Yamaha MFC10 is such a programmable device. This MIDI Foot Controller can be setup so that it’s switches send the specific values to change the Scenes.

Say you set the SCENE CC = 92, then sending the above listed value from a particular switch will cause that Scene to be recalled. The MFC10 has 10 switches and jacks for others. The MFC10 connects to the synth via standard 5-pin MIDI cable.
User avatar Australia
pax-eterna

Unread post by pax-eterna » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:59 pm

Sorry, no that does not work as I wrote in an earlier post. You cannot save different variations of the drum beats to scenes. I am not after the ability to change scenes via a footswitch, per se, rather to be able to change the drum beats variations via a footswitch. Doing it via the scenes woudol see to be the logical way of doing it but Yamaha in it's desire to not eat into sales of another division (no matter HOW they "spin it") decided to not allow this to happen.

Now, if you could store a different drum beat into each scene then what you linked to above (which I already knew about btw) would be fine and would work.
josephdouce

Unread post by josephdouce » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:11 pm

Don't use the rhythm section, make a custom arp with the drum samples and use that.
User avatar Australia
pax-eterna

Unread post by pax-eterna » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:02 am

yeah that's an idea...i might investigate that :)

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”