Unread post by Fleer » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:14 pm

These guys did a part 2 of their comparison:
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: Great new MODX Montage comparison

Unread post by Saul » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:28 pm

Well personally I don't hear any difference. I guess it depends a lot on what you are listening through but IF there are differences they are so small as to not stand out and would certainly be lost in a mix. My money would still be on the MODX as I just see it as the better value for money proposition.

Of course that is not to say I would turn my nose up at a Montage at the right price ;)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Fleer
United States of America

Unread post by Fleer » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:39 am

Didn’t hear any difference either. The first vid they did had diverging volume. This one is spot on.
Normhart
United States of America

Unread post by Normhart » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:43 am

I agree. If I understand it correctly, the differences in sampling resolution - in this case 44.1 for MODX and 192k for Montage have more to do with a better signal to noise ratio, don't they? You're still getting all the frequencies you need to hear so unless your ears are so fine tuned as to hear the noise above the signal even after mixing in with all the other things. Considering the age of these ears of mine (playing in high volume rock bands didn't help either) I seriously doubt if I could detect any differences - at least not enough to pay the price for them.

Besides, with the money I had left over, I was able to put that into a new Mac Mini (i5, 8GB 256GB SSD) and accessories.
vertig0spin
Canada

Unread post by vertig0spin » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:34 pm

Fleer wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:39 am
Didn’t hear any difference either. The first vid they did had diverging volume. This one is spot on.
The diverging volume you heard in the first vid is exactly what I experienced when I tried both the MODX8 and then the Montage8. That 1st video perfectly demos the difference in playing pianos, as I experienced it. Both synths are at the exact same volume in that video, but they don't trigger the velocity layers the same, with the exception of the highest notes. It shows the difference in sound between the GHS keybed on the MODX8 and the BHE keybed on the Montage8.

If you watch and listen closely (understanding that they are both at the same volume level for non-velocity layered sounds), at the beginning you can easily hear that the bass notes on the pianos are triggering higher velocity sample layers on the Montage8 than the MODX8.
Then at the 0:21 - 0:25 you can easily hear that the highest notes sound exactly the same on both keyboards. Same volume and velocity layers triggered (thus the keyboards are set to be at the same volume).
Until the 0:26 - 0:28 mark whereby you start to hear that the Montage8 is triggering at least 1 velocity layer higher than the MODX8 on the C5 note!
From the 0:29 mark on, you can hear that all the lower/mid notes are lower in volume & velocity layer on the MODX8 comparated to the Montage8. This is just how the keybeds trigger the piano layers differently between the two synths! (The MODX6 & 7 don't have this issue that the MODX8 has)

If Yamaha introduced 'Velocity Scaling' as a programming option in a future update, that would likely fix the issue on the MODX8!
If you'd like to see this change, please feel free to 'Up Vote' my idea on Yamaha Ideascale (note that you need to first sign in to see the link):

https://yamahasynth.ideascale.com/a/dtd ... 4570-45978

shappy1010
Netherlands

Unread post by shappy1010 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:29 pm

vertig0spin wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:34 pm

If you watch and listen closely (understanding that they are both at the same volume level for non-velocity layered sounds), at the beginning you can easily hear that the bass notes on the pianos are triggering higher velocity sample layers on the Montage8 than the MODX8.
Then at the 0:21 - 0:25 you can easily hear that the highest notes sound exactly the same on both keyboards. Same volume and velocity layers triggered (thus the keyboards are set to be at the same volume).
Until the 0:26 - 0:28 mark whereby you start to hear that the Montage8 is triggering at least 1 velocity layer higher than the MODX8 on the C5 note!
From the 0:29 mark on, you can hear that all the lower/mid notes are lower in volume & velocity layer on the MODX8 comparated to the Montage8. This is just how the keybeds trigger the piano layers differently between the two synths! (The MODX6 & 7 don't have this issue that the MODX8 has)

If Yamaha introduced 'Velocity Scaling' as a programming option in a future update, that would likely fix the issue on the MODX8!
If you'd like to see this change, please feel free to 'Up Vote' my idea on Yamaha Ideascale (note that you need to first sign in to see the link):

https://yamahasynth.ideascale.com/a/dtd ... 4570-45978

Hmm this fits what I've noticed on EPs and Clavis, for some reason I can't get them to "ring" as hard as on my S90 (simular presets). It's like it's missing a velocity layer, the loudest keystroke doesn't sound as snappy on the MODX.

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”