Yamaha MODX Noisy Keys?

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Does Your Yamaha MODX Have Unusually Noisy Keys?

Yes from new.
27%
Yes and developed over time
27%
No. Have not had any problems so far.
47%

Total votes: 15
User avatar United States of America
pologuy

Re: Yamaha MODX Noisy Keys?

Unread post by pologuy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:59 pm

Fleer wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:00 pm
Main reason for the return was the multitude of NAMM rumors. If these turn out less than interesting, I think I’ll get a MODX7 or MODX6.
Care to elaborate? ;)
Fleer

Unread post by Fleer » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:55 am

Well, there’s talk about upcoming synths from Korg and Roland. Maybe even a successor for the Yamaha CP4.
Anyway, not getting a MODX8 again unless they “publicly” fix the keybed problem. And I did find the whole thing a bit inelegant. Then again, not fond of keybed gaps on the MODX6/7 either. Just very fond of MODX, though.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:19 pm

I know KORG have a few things and I "think" they have a replacement for the KROME which may be very interesting :)

Also just to throw a spanner in the works Casio have something which I can't say much more about but will change the way people look at keyboards going forward ;)

As far as MODX is concerned though, it is a powerhouse of a synth for the money and I would not expect great strides in the quality of the keybed from the likes of KORG and Roland in comparison, not at this price point.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
pologuy

Unread post by pologuy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:48 pm

Saul wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:19 pm

Also just to throw a spanner in the works Casio have something which I can't say much more about but will change the way people look at keyboards going forward ;)
You wouldn't be referring to this, would you? :)

User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:04 pm

Nice at it is...no ;)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
pologuy

Unread post by pologuy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:19 pm

Saul wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:04 pm
Nice at it is...no ;)
LOL, throw us a bone here! :D

Is it a competitor to the MODX...?
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:26 pm

mmm...competitor to the MODX? :think: :lol: :lol: :lol: nope...not saying :naughty: I'm under an NDA. Can't give any more details until Casio tell me I can. Although I am pretty sure someone somewhere will leak news before then. Won't be me though :)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

User avatar France
iPractise

Unread post by iPractise » Tue May 07, 2019 10:16 am

I was just about to make my purchase on a unit of MODX8 until I saw this post...
If it's true that key noise do develop on these GHS keybeds, it's really a deal breaker... :?
The main reason I am replacing my old DP is the key noise... They have become too distracting for me, and I usually don't wear headphones when playing.

Does this problem still occur on newer batches? Or should I go for the Montage 8?
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Tue May 07, 2019 1:02 pm

As I have mentioned before, we do need to get some perspective about this issue. If you look at how many people have reported the problem against how many MODX8 keyboards have been sold around the world you soon realise that there is probably no more issues with the MODX keys than on any other keyboard?

If you Google "Yamaha MODX noisy keys" what is the first result you see? It is this forum right? So if people are reporting a noisy key issue online and it was a widespread issue you would naturally assume we would see a lot more posts about it. We don't see that.

What we see is a small number of people discussing the issue multiple times and that makes it appear a bigger, more prevalent issue than it actually is.

Of course it IS a big issue for those that have been affected by it and I am in no way saying it is something any of us should be experiencing but you do see that it is not an inherent fault with the MODX?
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

User avatar France
iPractise

Unread post by iPractise » Tue May 07, 2019 3:11 pm

Initially the MODX8 would be a perfect fit for my case.
Considering all the features of the Montage + a decent 88-key weighted action + better pitch wheel position, I would surely prefer it over the Montage.

But having fear that the keybed would deteriorate over time, I will not take the risk. (My local store doesn't have return policy, they only offer fixes to malfunctioning keyboards.)

Now I am thinking of getting a MODX6 + a controller keyboard.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Tue May 07, 2019 3:42 pm

Can you not order from somewhere like thomann where you can return it within 30 days?
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

User avatar France
iPractise

Unread post by iPractise » Tue May 07, 2019 5:12 pm

I am not living in the states. In where I live, the only store that sells the MODX8 don't offer return policy.
Also, I heard also from other forums that the key noise develops over time, not that I can notice immediately after purchase...
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Tue May 07, 2019 5:23 pm

Thomann are not in the states. Their main store is in Germany but they ship all over Europe. Same with musicstore.de

On other forums it is often the same people you see here that are talking about the key noise issues. Many of our members are also members of other forums.

Go here https://www.thomann.de/fr/yamaha_modx8. ... arch_prv_5
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

dfahrner

Unread post by dfahrner » Fri May 10, 2019 4:52 pm

iPractise wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 3:11 pm
But having fear that the keybed would deteriorate over time, I will not take the risk. (My local store doesn't have return policy, they only offer fixes to malfunctioning keyboards.)

Now I am thinking of getting a MODX6 + a controller keyboard.
I bought a MOX8 with the GHS keybed a few years back, but never got used to it: no noise problem, but it just didn't seem to make the Yamaha piano sounds feel right and respond to my playing comfortably (like the CP4 does)...so while I liked the MODX7 piano sounds, and wanted a weighted keybed to play them from, I wasn't sure the MODX8 / GHS keybed would work for me....but I went ahead and bought one, and I'm really glad I did: the GHS, at least on mine, feels much better than on my older MOX8, and the MODX pianos respond correctly, without any tweaking to MODX7 setups...playing piano on the MODX8 is almost like playing the CP4...

I went through the synth-with-controller thing a while back with a Korg Kronos 61, too...I tried several different controllers (Yamaha, Roland, M-Audio, etc.) but the keybed/Kronos response never felt right...then I got a Kronos 73 and was immediately comfortable with it...not surprisingly, manufacturers take some care to be sure that their sound generators work well with the built-in keybed (!)...YMMV, of course, but it's something to be aware of, and check out the controller/MODX interaction in advance if possible...

df
User avatar Great Britain
ziggy2k7

Unread post by ziggy2k7 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:23 pm

Received my new MODX8 the other day. 5 "clicky" keys out the box. Returned it and the replacement they were going to send me also has clicky keys!!!

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”