Untapped MODX potential?

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
skatsikas

Untapped MODX potential?

Unread post by skatsikas » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:59 pm

So, if you set up a new performance using the multi/GM init option, you get up to 16 different sounds that you can use and access within a single performance. You can access each through carefully touching the track volume or track name. It also allows for changing between sounds seamlessly. As a Motif user, this seems a whole lot like "Song Mode" or sequencing mode on the Motif. It also seems to open up a different way of getting SSS than individual performances in a live set. It is a lot easier to select one of 16 sounds from a LiveSet screen as the virtual buttons are bigger, but I am thinking there might be some benefits of having a whole song with more than 8 different sounds within a single performance. I also think that because this is possible, a future firmware update might take advantage of it in a way that gives users the equivalent of Motif song mode. Ideally, we could access individual sounds via the scene buttons. I remain interested in this option as I would love to NOT have to individually import the hundred or so "songs" I've created in the Motif manually. That was how I typically performed live.

Steve
User avatar United States of America
anotherscott

Re: Untapped MODX potential?

Unread post by anotherscott » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:57 am

skatsikas wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:59 pm
So, if you set up a new performance using the multi/GM init option, you get up to 16 different sounds that you can use and access within a single performance. You can access each through carefully touching the track volume or track name... It is a lot easier to select one of 16 sounds from a LiveSet screen as the virtual buttons are bigger
For within a Performance, I think you can get a slightly easier target to hit by hitting the Part Select hard button, which will give you an on-screen overlay of Part numbers to hit.
skatsikas wrote:
As a Motif user, this seems a whole lot like "Song Mode"
Yes... it is similar in some respects, discused at yamahasynth.com/ask-a-question/moxf-song-mixing-mode-equivalent-in-modx
The MODX Performance mode is kind of a hybrid, borrowing some aspects of different Motif modes, including that one. It also borrows from Master mode, but improves on it because it can function as a 16-zone MIDI controller, whereas the old Master mode supported only 4 zones.
skatsikas wrote:
I am thinking there might be some benefits of having a whole song with more than 8 different sounds within a single performance.
On advantage of switching among different sounds within a single Performance (compared to switching Performances) is that changes are more instantaneous. So if you want to change a RH sound over a moving LH bass line, you don't have to worry about a dropped note. Another is that (with Kbd Ctrl) you can sustain a note through multiple sound transitions (not called for often, but occasionally cool).

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”