May sound picky, but.......

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Great Britain
mick_n

May sound picky, but.......

Unread post by mick_n » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:47 pm

Has any 88 note owners noticed small scratches on some of the white keys? Just noticed this last night.

Also, has anyone noticed that there is no plastic film on the display? Every synth I have purchased in the past has had a protective film n the screen.

Just concerned that the shop has sent me a B-stock or display model.
EX5, W7, MU100R, Motif 6 classic, roland SC33, Motif rack ES, Akai MPK88,Casio PX5S, MOXF 6, MODX 8,
User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: May sound picky, but.......

Unread post by Derek » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:59 pm

Hi, Mick

I'd be suspicious as well.
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:57 pm

Hi Mick. The MODX does not come with a screen protector, which came as something of a surprise to me. I can assure you this is the case though because the MODX8 and MODX7 I had came direct from Yamaha and were brand new, unopened.

Scratches on the white keys I would be a little more suspicious of however they do appear to scratch quite easily. I remember someone else mentioned this but I didn't save the link. Are we talking really noticeable scratches or something you see when the light hits the keys at the right angle sometimes?
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:58 pm

By the way, the actual MODX casing scratches REALLY easily. Not sure what genius came up with that matt black coating but it is definitely not good.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
mick_n

Unread post by mick_n » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:25 pm

Thank you Saul & Derek for the replies.

I only noticed the scratches when I was taking some measurements of the Key bed (for comparison with my other 88 note boards) . Didn't notice them until I had to shine a torch to see the measurements..... very light scratches. Maybe I am being a little paranoid!

Saul, know what you mean regarding the easily marked plastic.....my MOXF 6 is the same.
EX5, W7, MU100R, Motif 6 classic, roland SC33, Motif rack ES, Akai MPK88,Casio PX5S, MOXF 6, MODX 8,
Australia
pax-eterna

Unread post by pax-eterna » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:58 am

it's probs just finger nail marks from the assemblers. The plastic on these keys is quite soft and marks easily I have noticed!
mick_n

Unread post by mick_n » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:43 pm

The shop asked me to take some photo's of the scratches, without success due to the reflective nature of the keys. As Saul mentioned, these marks can only be seen when shining a torch at certain angles......they don't seem to be conducive to a keyboard being "played" for a length of time. My best guess is that they have been marked during manufacture.

I can live with this.....my main concern was that i had been sold a display/demo model, but the shop firmly state this is not the case.

Thank you all for the replies. :)
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:04 pm

Yeah all Yamaha keyboards are tested before being packed and shipped and the keybeds will probably have been tested a few times before that so, "light" scratches are perfectly normal.

There is plenty of stock of the MODX so I very much doubt a store would sell you a shop floor model without telling you that was the case and offering a small discount. Your warranty would be the same either way :)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”