Creating/triggering drum fill-ins

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Great Britain
mitya

Creating/triggering drum fill-ins

Unread post by mitya » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:33 pm

Hey all, and a very merry Christmas and the very best to you all for 2019.

I touched on this in this thread (thanks as ever, Stevie) but I think it deserves its own post since it's bugging me and I figure others may have the same question.

Specifically: there doesn't seem to be any obvious way to trigger fill-ins over drum-parts. Obviously I can fudge a way round it, and in that spirit my options appear to be:
  • Switch scene to an arp that uses a fill-in, perhaps an arp I made myself just for the fill (switching scene seems clunky just for a simple fill)
  • Trigger a sample of a recorded fill (again seems clunky, going from midi to wave just for a fill)
  • Play the fill manually on the keys (surely not)
The problem with all of those options except the first is that the fill-in would play over the continuing drum arp, which is of course undesirable.

Am I right that these are basically my options? I kind of feel like there should be a setting where I can set a special fill arp to come in at the end of every X measures, or trigger it from a sample pad button like on Roland's FA.

Thanks guys!
Last edited by mitya on Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mitya

Re: Creating/triggering drum fill-ins

Unread post by mitya » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:49 pm

Anyone?
User avatar Bulgaria
Kal1n_M

Unread post by Kal1n_M » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:07 pm

Well, your point one is how it is intended to be used.
What you can do, that may feel better, but is on a project basis, is to create your own arpeggios that are longer (have more bars) and contain a fill-in, break or whatever you prefer to call it on every N-th bar. This way you will have to swap less scenes, but you will not avoid it.
Another option is to assign a Part that contains only the fills and use the Super Knob to fade it in (and fade out your main drum part eventually), but this may mess your other Super-Knob-Controlled parts. You may also try to use a Motion control instead of Super knob for that.
It's really up to you to find the best workflow for you. As usually, the only limit is your imagination. Learn your tool and it's strengths and limits.
mitya

Unread post by mitya » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:30 pm

Thanks. Fair enough, no worries - I was just asking in case there was some obvious feature or technique for this that I, in my noob status, had missed. As long as I know that the ones I listed are the only options, I can work with that.

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”