MIDI + Sustain + Perf Recorder

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
Therenix

MIDI + Sustain + Perf Recorder

Unread post by Therenix » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:46 pm

When I record a performance to midi, there's no indication the performance recorder picked up the sustain pedal being depressed. Not an issue with recording Audio though.

Is there a setting somewhere that needs to be turned on or does MIDI not really support sustain the way I'm expecting or something?

PS -- Am using the YC4 Yamaha pedal and that's the one selected in Utility >> Settings. No other problems with sustain until trying to record MIDI, although the one time I tried sending MIDI to Cubase, it didn't seem to pick up the sustain either; however, I was chalking that up to me not understanding Cubase well enough...

Any thoughts?
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: MIDI + Sustain + Perf Recorder

Unread post by parametric » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:48 am

I don't have a MODX, but OF COURSE it should be able to record sustain pedal data, and much else besides.

My Alesis Fusion has a filter setting to include/exclude certain data form being recorded . . . .

midi data filter.jpg
Whilst primarily for the onboard sequencer, I would guess it also applies to data available from the Midi out port.

[note] is the note on/off@ velocity data
[controlrs] would include the sustain pedal, modulation etc. . .
[AftrTch] = aftertouch
[Pitch] is Pitchbend data
[Tempo] is tempo changes
[Other] would be data not mentioned above . . .

I the absence of information, I would HOPE/EXPECT that the MODX records ALL the above (except AT) by default. . .

It seems likely that Cubase has a similar arrangement to nominate WHAT midi data is recorded (aside from the basics).

I couldn't find any reference to such control in the MODX Manual . . . .

ATB

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
User avatar United States of America
Therenix

Unread post by Therenix » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:51 am

Thanks para -- knowing you definitely thought it should be recording, I did some more testing... It's only an issue if the sustain is depressed before the recording begins. Does make some sense and works fine now if I do the pedal after the recording starts.
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:52 pm

exactly . . .

The controllers have Start and Stop command. So long as these occur WITHIN the recording it should all be fine.

In your case, a sustain-on command was already in place before the recording started - so it all got out of sync.

At the other end of the deal, you can get hanging notes that won't turn off . . . .

Glad it's sorted out!

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”