Volume Question

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

United States of America
RatherBeGigging

Volume Question

Unread post by RatherBeGigging » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:35 am

Happy (almost) New Year everyone. Getting to know my MODX. I have a volume question.

The MODX is connected (main L/R) directly to a pair of JBL 305 Studio Monitors. The 305's are set at a pretty high volume "9"- almost to the max. The MODX master volume is set at 75%.

Here is my question. Music from my computer (itunes) through the MODX USB input sounds terrific- loud and full- on the 305's. Things also sound very good through a pair of headphones directly connected to the MODX as well- plenty loud. When I play a performance on the MODX- lets say a keyboard sound like "Rd 1 Gallery", things are loud and full through my headphones, but quite a bit softer through the 305's.

Music from my iphone into the A/D input through the 305's also sounds great- quite a bit louder than the MODX performance sounds.

Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for all thoughts and suggestions.
User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Volume Question

Unread post by Derek » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:57 am

Hi

Can't say I've noticed a level problem with my Montage into my studio or stage systems compared to my other synths.

It might be worth experimenting with a setting in Utility mode: [Settings]/[Audio IO]/[Main L&R] where you can reduce or boost the output levels by: -6dB, 0dB (default), +6dB, +12 dB.
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
United States of America
RatherBeGigging

Unread post by RatherBeGigging » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:35 pm

Derek- thanks for the reply and suggestions. Are any other forum members noticing the level differences that I am noticing? Just picked up my MODX a few days ago, so I just want to make sure everything is working as it should.
User avatar Bulgaria
Kal1n_M

Unread post by Kal1n_M » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:06 pm

It's very important what type of cables are you using. MODX outputs are unbalanced, not sure about your speakers inputs, but using the wrong type of cables may cause a cancellation problem, which results in very quiet signal. Double check your cables and speakers specifications.
United States of America
RatherBeGigging

Unread post by RatherBeGigging » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:11 am

Thanks for all the replies to this post. Kal1n-M- you guessed right on this one. I switched out my cables. Problem solved! Loving the synth again.
Greatly appreciated!!
User avatar Bulgaria
Kal1n_M

Unread post by Kal1n_M » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:34 pm

RatherBeGigging wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:11 am
Thanks for all the replies to this post. Kal1n-M- you guessed right on this one. I switched out my cables. Problem solved! Loving the synth again.
Greatly appreciated!!
Great news! It would be nice to mention what kind of cables have you been using and to what kind have you switched, that fixed the problem. It may help other users of the forum with a similar problems.
United States of America
pologuy

Unread post by pologuy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:20 pm

Kal1n_M wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:34 pm
RatherBeGigging wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:11 am
Greatly appreciated!!
Great news! It would be nice to mention what kind of cables have you been using and to what kind have you switched, that fixed the problem. It may help other users of the forum with a similar problems.
+1 :D

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”