Assign crescendo?

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Great Britain
mitya

Assign crescendo?

Unread post by mitya » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:16 pm

Is there a way to program a gradual crescendo or decrescendo to one of the assign buttons?

I can go to mod assign and choose part param > volume, but that merely instantly switches the part volume to a new, defined volume. Is there a way to make it a gradual process?

This is with an AWM2 arp part, incidentally.

Thanks!
Last edited by mitya on Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Bulgaria
Kal1n_M

Re: Assign crescendo?

Unread post by Kal1n_M » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:20 pm

I would use the CC11 (Expression) for that. For more info about MIDI CC, check the link below (copy and paste in your browser):

nortonmusic.com/midi_cc.html
United States of America
anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:15 pm

mitya wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:16 pm
Is there a way to program a gradual crescendo or decrescendo to one of the assign buttons?

I can go to mod assign and choose part param > volume, but that merely instantly switches the part volume to a new, defined volume. Is there a way to make it a gradual process?
Typically, switches simply switch between two states, they are not designed to produce a continuous range of values as you would with an expression pedal, mod wheel, slider, or knob. That said, a switch can change which elements are sounding, and an element can have its own envelope settings which can create crescendo or decrescendo. So I think the way to do what you want is to program the desired envelope into an alternate element of the voice, and then program the button to invoke that alternate articulation.
Great Britain
mitya

Unread post by mitya » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:36 pm

Thanks both for your replies. I will explore both suggestions.

anotherscott - I'm afraid what you're describing is well beyond my powers currently. Not asking for a step-by-step, but could you give me some sort of starter pointers, or point me to a relevant tutorial you may know of? Envelopes are one of those things I'm peripherally aware of but not yet au fait with, far less triggering them from controls :-)

Thanks again
User avatar Bulgaria
Kal1n_M

Unread post by Kal1n_M » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:23 pm

Hmm, I just realized you want to assign this crescendo to an Assignable switch/button, not to Assignable knob.... that makes hell of a difference indeed. I guess you can try to use a Motion control that is triggered by the button.... not sure if it's possible, but you can research that option, check pages 100 and 153 in MODX Reference Manual.
Great Britain
mitya

Unread post by mitya » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:29 pm

Thanks, I'll take a look. Yes, I want it to be an automated action - ideally a crescendo that lasts for X seconds or bars or whatever, on the press of a button or key.

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”