Speakers

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Norway
Blokksberg

Speakers

Unread post by Blokksberg » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:33 pm

Hi! I am looking for speakers for my modx8. I can spend up to about 400$. Prefferably i want a set with both speakers and sub, like the gns-ms01. Bass is important. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance 😁
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Speakers

Unread post by Saul » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:34 pm

Hi Blokksberg, welcome to the forum :)

I don't think you will have any problems finding speakers within that $400 price range but perhaps the key thing is do you want to use active reference monitors or active media speakers? There is quite a difference between the two.

Active media speakers are designed to enhance whatever you put through them whereas reference monitors are designed to give you a flat response and not colour the sound at all. That might not be ideal if all you would use the speakers for is to play the MODX through.

So that is the first thing we need to know. Will the speakers be used just with the MODX or did you also want to mix on them?
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
User avatar Norway
Blokksberg

Unread post by Blokksberg » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:56 pm

I currently just own the MODX, but i might buy other equipment in a while. I might buy a full sequencer/looper, and i might add a computer, but the MODX is very versitile, so i don't think i will buy anything soon.
User avatar Bulgaria
Kal1n_M

Unread post by Kal1n_M » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:58 pm

While these may be a little over the budget, I highly recommend getting a couple of ADAM T7V or as a second choice - Yamaha HS7. If you are into making music, forget about the sub, these are two of the best models near your budget.
If you want "more bass" you can check M-Audio BX8 D3, but this will be a compromise with the transparency and clarity...
User avatar Norway
Blokksberg

Unread post by Blokksberg » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:47 am

I was actually considering the hs7, but i really just want the best sound possible. And are you sure there will be enough bass?
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:20 am

The HS7's are excellent. I had a pair myself however as I mentioned before there is a big difference between reference monitors and what I would term "multimedia or DJ speakers" which are designed to enhance and boost the sound.

Personally I would go for reference monitors as they are more versatile. They are not ideal for listening to commercially produced music because it may sound a little flat and lacking in depth but that is not what their main purpose is. They still do a pretty good job though. You also then have the bonus of being able to use them with your music production once you hook up to a PC/MAC and DAW.

I think the MODX will sound fine through the HS7's
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
User avatar Norway
Blokksberg

Unread post by Blokksberg » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:20 pm

Ok, thanks! But is it possible to improve the sound from them with another device to increase bass and make them sound less flat?
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:40 pm

Well when I say "flat" I don't mean that there is no bass. The HS7 goes down to 43Hz which is better than a lot of active monitors so bass response will be good just not as pronounced as if say you were playing through a hi-fi. You can add the HS8S sub but that needs a separate input from the source, it doesn't take it's input from the monitors. Anyway it's an expensive addition costing more than a pair of HS7's together.

If bass is really something you MUST have then the M-Audio BX8 D3 Kal1n_M mentioned earlier would be a good bet. Bass response is down to 37Hz and those large 8" woofers will move more air.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

User avatar Norway
Blokksberg

Unread post by Blokksberg » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:30 pm

Ok! I have a 3x3 meter room, so i think the hs7s will be my choice. Thank you so much for all the quick responses, you really helped me out guys :)
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:55 pm

Good choice. Do let us know how you get on with them?
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

User avatar Norway
Blokksberg

Unread post by Blokksberg » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:39 pm

Yes i will! :) But are they simple to set up? can you just plug them right in and be ready to go?
United States of America
anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:06 pm

You could also look at JBL 305P MkII
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:14 pm

Blokksberg wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:39 pm
Yes i will! :) But are they simple to set up? can you just plug them right in and be ready to go?
Yes pretty much. Each speaker needs it's own power supply and there is some adjustment on the back to compensate to some extent for where you locate them in the room but avoid having them up against a wall. They are rear ported so need some space otherwise the bass end will end up sounding a bit wooly and you definitely don't want that! Also you need some air around the finned heatsinks on the back of each speaker to dissipate the heat build up from the amps.

Excellent review of the HS7's over at Sound On Sound magazine which might be worth reading and then come back with any further questions you might have? https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/yamaha-hs7-hs8s

Also good video review below:

Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

User avatar United States of America
Normhart

Unread post by Normhart » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:38 pm

Saul wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:40 pm
Well when I say "flat" I don't mean that there is no bass. The HS7 goes down to 43Hz which is better than a lot of active monitors so bass response will be good just not as pronounced as if say you were playing through a hi-fi. You can add the HS8S sub but that needs a separate input from the source, it doesn't take it's input from the monitors. Anyway it's an expensive addition costing more than a pair of HS7's together.

If bass is really something you MUST have then the M-Audio BX8 D3 Kal1n_M mentioned earlier would be a good bet. Bass response is down to 37Hz and those large 8" woofers will move more air.
Don’t the HS8 (no sub) speakers go down to 38Hz? I was pretty much set on getting a pair of these recently until I went a completely different route - the iLOUD monitors from IK Multimedia, I play mostly acoustic type sounds (piano, orchestral etc.) on the keyboards I have and don’t need that much bass. The iLOUD goes down to 55Hz (@-3dB) and 43Hz (@-10dB) which is low enough for me. And I still have $400 left over for other stuff :-) However, since bass was an important consideration in the original post, the HS8 (with or without the optional subwoofer unit) would be a good way to go.
United States of America
anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:56 pm

iLoud does not come close to JBL 305.

Don't get too hung up on a few hertz of how low the bass spec goes. That alone tells you very little if anything about overall sound quality, overall volume capability, headroom for peaks...

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”