Need Someone With A Synthisizer To Help Me With A Project!

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Great Britain
JediArron

Need Someone With A Synthisizer To Help Me With A Project!

Unread post by JediArron » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:30 pm

Hi everyone,

Recently quit my 9 to 5 job to work on coding and creating a rhythm game to go on the Google Play and Apple App Store. All money generated from it will go to charity! A feature in the game is that there will be a composer, where other people can create songs in the game using an electric keyboard, and then other people will be able to play these songs.

In order to create the composer, I need high quality recordings of each individual keyboard key from an 88 key electrical keyboard. I will also need each key being pressed under a variety of synthesizer modes: e.g. piano, electric guitar, jazz keyboard, organ, electronic, etc.

I know that this is quite a lot of keys which require to be pressed, but I will happily pay whoever helps me, as they will help a project which I'm very passionate about come to life. In addition, they will also see their sounds in the game (when it's finished), and help save human lives!

To get in contact, you can either:

a) Reply below or message me on here.
b) Add/message me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/arron.branton
c) Add me on Discord: Humble Cookie#7385
d) E-mail me: https://www.facebook.com/arron.branton

Thank you :)
User avatar United States of America
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Need Someone With A Synthisizer To Help Me With A Project!

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:00 am

Most digital keyboard manufacturers consider their keyboard sounds (voices, tones, timbres, patches, etc.) to be protected by copyright, so it’s not a good idea to sample those sounds (which are often samples themselves) for something like this. It might be different with analog synths, where the sounds are created “raw” using waveform oscillators, ADSR envelopes, and filters, although you might still need to get some sort of permission from the manufacturer.

A better/safer idea might be to look for a free and license-free “soundfont,” which is essentially what you’re asking someone to create for you— a set of sampled sounds spanning all the notes of a keyboard or other instrument, typically with multiple samples for different velocity ranges. If you look up “free soundfont” you should be able to find many to choose from. But if you plan to use them in a game or app then you might need to ask the people who created them for permission to do that.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:32 am

Michael is right and although what you have proposed seems like a good idea there is a copyright issue here and that is something you definitely don't want to be coming up against, especially with a charity project.

Companies that produce samples of instruments do so under license. Owners of keyboards can use the sounds in that keyboard in their own compositions and the "music" they write for others but the actual samples themselves cannot be copied without permission.

So what seems like quite a simple thing can actually be quite complex. There is however a bit of a grey area around the use of "modified" samples. That is you sample a sound from a keyboard and then modify that sound so it is not recognisable as the original. However I am not a lawyer so don't take that as solid legal advice!

Perhaps better to use a softsynth to CREATE new sounds and use those?
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:35 pm

ALL good advice there from Mike and Saul . . . .

Going with licence-free or open source samples keeps you clear of any misunderstanding . . . . .

How the eventual APP is to be distributed may also be significant.

In my mind, both Google and Apple are commercial enterprises in the business of making money . . . . ?

If you had particular samples in mind, there is no harm in asking the question of the copyright holders,

explaining the intended use - you could get lucky and they grant you a limited licence that allows you

to use as described. They can only say No . . .

But if they agree - you will BOTH have the satisfaction that things have been done correctly and "above board" (Y)

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
JediArron

Unread post by JediArron » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:17 pm

Ty all for your input :)

Very helpful.
User avatar Bulgaria
Kal1n_M

Unread post by Kal1n_M » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:00 pm

While the samples loaded (in the factory or afterwards) into the instrument may be copyrighted material, the sound you record when you play your keyboard is in no way covered by these copyrights. The opposite would mean that you cannot record your instrument at all and therefore cannot use your flashy Montage/MODX/whatever for any commercial project. This, as we all know, is not the case.
So, if you don't extract the samples, but play them (in any way and fashion you prefer), there could be absolutely no copyright issues.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:43 pm

That isn't what the OP wanted though. He was asking for someone to sample every key of a sound or sounds at various velocity levels so he could then use those samples in an app that allowed people to play a virtual keyboard to compose music.
In order to create the composer, I need high quality recordings of each individual keyboard key from an 88 key electrical keyboard. I will also need each key being pressed under a variety of synthesizer modes: e.g. piano, electric guitar, jazz keyboard, organ, electronic, etc.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Derek » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:07 pm

You do need to be careful, and it will vary from Vendor to Vendor.

Spectrasonics for example, are quite specific as to what you can and can't do with the samples in Omnisphere; their licensing (which you accept when you open the package) precludes usage in this OP example.
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
JediArron

Unread post by JediArron » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:18 pm

Derek wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:07 pm
You do need to be careful, and it will vary from Vendor to Vendor.

Spectrasonics for example, are quite specific as to what you can and can't do with the samples in Omnisphere; their licensing (which you accept when you open the package) precludes usage in this OP example.
Know any vendors who do, or could potentially allow me to use their sounds and store them in my app for other players to create songs with?
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:26 pm

JediArron wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:18 pm

Know any vendors who do, or could potentially allow me to use their sounds and store them in my app for other players to create songs with?
Really the only way is to ask them, Yamaha, Roland, Korg, Casio etc. If you have a really good app idea they may want to collaborate with you and possibly market it through their own channels but of course that is between you and them to discuss.

Hard to say who would be up for it. These companies can get very twitchy when you start talking about copying their IP.

In my experience the best way to approach any of these companies and in particular get to the right people is via LinkedIn. If you are not a member already then sign up for a free account and do a search for any of the companies you want to approach and it should bring up all the people who work there and who are members. Also never just click on the "connect" always add a note saying who you are and why you are contacting them. They are far more likely to accept the connection and begin a conversation that way.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”