User avatar United States of America
Normhart

Re: MODX 8 hard playing locks up keyboard

Unread post by Normhart » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:39 pm

Derek wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:47 pm
Normhart wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:19 pm
BTW, I think I may have mentioned that I went back to the original outlet and not surprisingly, the problem immediately show up. Returned it to the ‘good’ outlet - problem disappeared. I guess time will tell, if it’s definitely an internal problem to the MODX, the problem will likely resurface at some point. When that point will be is anyone’s guess, I suppose but I’ll post again when and if it does.
Sorry I missed that. If that is the case, I would get an electrician in to check the sockets, as you may have a fault on that socket - why just the Montage (if that is the case) I cannot say.

Or if you are confident enough yourself, isolate the power to that socket, open it up and check that all connections are secure and tight, no frayed wires, etc.

PS: It's one reason why I hate wall wart PSUs on pro gear. Hopefully not the case in your instance, but I have fixed a few synths over the years (last one a friend's CS2x) where strain had been put on the PSU lead and it had broken the soldered connections on the PCB.
Yes, checking the voltage is something I’ll be doing soon. I’ve already reported it to the building maintenance people. I’d much rather have a qualified electrician do it than attempt it myself.
Thunder Dump

Unread post by Thunder Dump » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:38 am

I've performed with a UPS on stage for the last 10+ years because of the long boot-up time of my Roland Fantom X7 with a lot of samples. It definitely protects the unit and keeps you from worrying about a mid-song reboot. I wouldn't play without one now and use it for my MODX7 and my Kronos 2 73.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:58 am

Hi TD, welcome to the forums :) Big fan of the Fantom X series here. Still fantastic keyboards and so well made too.

Maybe we need a thread on different UPS units, recommendations etc. Might be incredibly useful :)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
Normhart

Unread post by Normhart » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:27 pm

Thunder Dump wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:38 am
I've performed with a UPS on stage for the last 10+ years because of the long boot-up time of my Roland Fantom X7 with a lot of samples. It definitely protects the unit and keeps you from worrying about a mid-song reboot. I wouldn't play without one now and use it for my MODX7 and my Kronos 2 73.
Is it a standby type or online? Those online UPS can get pricey. I suppose the standby units will be ok provided the switchover time is quick enough. The last time I dealt with UPS systems was back when I was working in I.T. with the company’s servers. These were ridiculously expensive beasts. But the servers ran 24/7 and were only brought down for maintenance. I wonder if synthesizer equipment like the MODX can be left on continuously -provided the power is constant (online UPS). You may have a bigger power bill at the end of the month but at least you’ll never have to wait through another boot up :-)
User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Derek » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:58 pm

This is what I purchased for stage use: APC Back-UPS ES - BE550G-UK. Works a treat.

I've calculated about 20-30 mins of power back up (more than enough), and switch-over in the event of mains failure is instant.
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
Normhart

Unread post by Normhart » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:43 am

Derek wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:58 pm
This is what I purchased for stage use: APC Back-UPS ES - BE550G-UK. Works a treat.

I've calculated about 20-30 mins of power back up (more than enough), and switch-over in the event of mains failure is instant.
Looks like it’s time for one. I’m sure there have been improvements as to transfer time specs through the years.

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”