FORUM RULES - READ BEFORE POSTING
We don't have a great many rules on this forum. The ones we do have are mostly common sense but there are a couple which you do need to pay close attention to. You can read the latest version of the rules here: viewtopic.php?t=5958

MODX8 GHS Issue on Piano Performances

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8 and the MODX+

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul, RudyB

anotherscott United States of America

Re: MODX8 GHS Issue on Piano Performances

Unread post by anotherscott »

josephdouce wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:00 pmAll I'm saying is it could better out of the box
OTOH, while you and northridgedave and vertig0spin all feel the piano could be better, you disagree about exactly what's wrong with it. Meanwhile, plenty of people seem fine with it as it is. So maybe it's not possible for Yamaha to have come up with a single variant that everyone would be happy with, and, as you say, it is up to the more demanding individuals to learn how to tweak the sound to their liking if they want to.
josephdouce wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:00 pmit's also been brought to my attention a lot of Seamless Sound Switching performances are broke out of the box as they were copied from Montage that supports 8 parts and MODX is 4.
Obviously, you can seamlessly switch among 8-Part performances on a Montage, and only up to 4 on a MODX, but I don't understand any way in which this can result in any individual Performance being "broke" on the MODX. Can you explain or give an example?
shappy1010 Netherlands

Unread post by shappy1010 »

Ah so this is what I've been experiencing. It's not just for pianos, I had the issue with a Clavi I use a lot for solos. I put my old S90 next to my MODX8 and there is an obvious difference between when sharper samples are triggered through the velocity layer. Combined with the more plastic feel of the keyboard it's not as pleasant to play. I do hope they fix it though. And the tip about trying other piano's is a good one. I downloaded a couple of free MOTIFX sets and some of those patches seem to be better.
josephdouce Great Britain

Unread post by josephdouce »

anotherscott wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:22 pm
josephdouce wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:00 pmAll I'm saying is it could better out of the box
OTOH, while you and northridgedave and vertig0spin all feel the piano could be better, you disagree about exactly what's wrong with it. Meanwhile, plenty of people seem fine with it as it is. So maybe it's not possible for Yamaha to have come up with a single variant that everyone would be happy with, and, as you say, it is up to the more demanding individuals to learn how to tweak the sound to their liking if they want to.
josephdouce wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:00 pmit's also been brought to my attention a lot of Seamless Sound Switching performances are broke out of the box as they were copied from Montage that supports 8 parts and MODX is 4.
Obviously, you can seamlessly switch among 8-Part performances on a Montage, and only up to 4 on a MODX, but I don't understand any way in which this can result in any individual Performance being "broke" on the MODX. Can you explain or give an example?
josephdouce Great Britain

Unread post by josephdouce »

anotherscott wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:22 pm
Maybe "Broke" is a a little bit of an overstatement.
vertig0spin Canada

Unread post by vertig0spin »

jahfume wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:34 pm I think someone else posted something similar somewhere in the Wishlist thread on here but that thread is getting to be a bit bloated.

Maybe you can copy this to yamahasynth.ideascale.com ?

So I wonder if this mal-programing is true for the Borsendorfer pefrormances also?
I had posted about this in the Wishlist thread and also added to ideascale; however ideascale is currently not working (their community license expired). I proposed fixes, such as MODX8 BHE Emulation mode whereby Yamaha would have to provide a programming option to allow the GHS keybed to trigger sample velocities the same as the BHE keybed does (and all other 6 & 7 versions of both the MODX and Montage synths). I also proposed that they implement Velocity Scaling as a programming option, which would likely fix the issue as well.

This issue with the MODX8 GHS keybed is one of the reasons I am getting the Montage8 instead. I found the Montage8 BHE keybed extremely high quality in comparison to the MODX8 and it played/felt/sounded like a dream.
pologuy United States of America

Unread post by pologuy »

vertig0spin wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:04 pm
This issue with the MODX8 GHS keybed is one of the reasons I am getting the Montage8 instead. I found the Montage8 BHE keybed extremely high quality in comparison to the MODX8 and it played/felt/sounded like a dream.
It should!

It is more than twice the price!

$4,000 vs $1,900
Last edited by pologuy on Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shappy1010 Netherlands

Unread post by shappy1010 »

And the weight :D
vertig0spin Canada

Unread post by vertig0spin »

shappy1010 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:00 pm And the weight :D
Speaking of weight, this video does a good job of showing off the Montage Bosendorfer piano; however I find it interesting watching him play while the Montage8 is moving around so much ... I better make sure I get a better keyboard stand for mine! :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TblWA8DBKX4