Playback midi files.

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Great Britain
mick_n

Playback midi files.

Unread post by mick_n » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:58 pm

Is there a setting that stop's the internal sounds playing when playing a midi file on the modx? IE, send the data to external tone generators by-passing the modx internal sounds.
EX5, W7, MU100R, Motif 6 classic, roland SC33, Motif rack ES, Akai MPK88,Casio PX5S, MOXF 6, MODX 8,
User avatar United States of America
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Playback midi files.

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:13 am

Since I don't have a MODX, all I can do is go by what I can find in the manuals, so I might be wrong-- but I don't see an easy way to play back a MIDI file to another device while you are also playing something on the MODX (if that's what you want to do).

You can set the MIDI mode to "multi" so the MODX will transmit all 16 parts on their corresponding MIDI channels, and turn off the local control so none of the parts are sounded on the MODX-- but then you won't be able to play anything on the MODX at the same time.

However, if you send the MODX's MIDI output to some MIDI boxes or a suitable MIDI interface then you should be able send most of the MIDI channels on to the desired external device to be sounded while also splitting off one or more MIDI channels and sending them back to the MODX to be sounded.

Keep in mind that the MODX has only 16 parts, so if you want to play back a MIDI file on the MODX while also playing something on the MODX then you will need to divide the 16 parts between the MIDI file and whatever you want to play. For instance, you could use one part for playing the MODX and the other 15 parts for playing the MIDI file; or two parts for playing the MODX and the other 14 parts for playing the MIDI file; etc.

I didn't see anything in the manuals about being able to selectively choose the destination of each part, such as assigning four parts to the four zones and assigning the remaining 12 parts to the MIDI Out channels, or something like that. However, I didn't look carefully at the section on zones and using the MODX in Master mode, so it might be possible to do that.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
User avatar Great Britain
mick_n

Re: Playback midi files.

Unread post by mick_n » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:33 pm

Thank you for replying. I have yet to find some free time to look into this further (due to the perils of being a home owner :P ) but i am sure there will be an option to bypass the MODX internal sounds buried deep in the menu's somewhere. :)

Many thanks.
EX5, W7, MU100R, Motif 6 classic, roland SC33, Motif rack ES, Akai MPK88,Casio PX5S, MOXF 6, MODX 8,

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”