Triggering MODX Sounds from External Controller

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul

User avatar United States of America
RatherBeGigging

Triggering MODX Sounds from External Controller

Unread post by RatherBeGigging » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:48 am

I would like to try triggering the internal sounds of the MODX8 with an external midi keyboard controller. Could folks help me figure out how to do this?
anotherscott

Re: Triggering MODX Sounds from External Controller

Unread post by anotherscott » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:50 pm

RatherBeGigging wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:48 am
I would like to try triggering the internal sounds of the MODX8 with an external midi keyboard controller. Could folks help me figure out how to do this?
Just connect the MIDI OUT of the external controller to the MIDI IN of the MODX. (Your controller needs to have a standard MIDI OUT jack. If it only has USB, you'll need some other hardware.)

That is probably all you need to do, if you just want to (as you said) trigger the internal sounds of the MODX8 with an external midi keyboard controller (assuming none of the default MIDI settings on either board have ever been changed).

However, if you want to be more selective about it (i.e. trigger some MODX sounds from ts internal keys while triggering other MODX sounds from the external controller), there will be settings you'll need to change, and there will be some limitations, which will vary depending on which board you're using as a controller.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:51 pm

Can't really add much to that. As I mentioned in another thread I have done it wirelessly using the REVO1 Curveboard along with a CME WIDI-X8 connected to the MODX. Worked a treat :)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
RatherBeGigging

Unread post by RatherBeGigging » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:05 am

Thanks for the replies. I have a working midi cable connecting an M Audio controller (midi out) to the MODX (midi in).
The midi channel of the controller is set to 1. I am testing playing a performance on the MODX that has a single part. If I understand the MODX correctly, part 1 should receive on Midi Chanel 1. Is this correct? I don't have this working yet. Ideas?
anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:41 am

I forgot to mention earlier, make sure your MODX is set to receive on it MIDI jacks (rather than USB), I'd guess that's the problem.

BTW, the MODX has two MIDI modes, Single or Multi. Since you only have the MODX set to play one part, what you're doing should work either way. But in Single (which I think is the default), your controller will play everything the MODX is playing... i.e. if you have the MODX set to play 3 Parts, the controller will play all 3 Parts. Whereas if you set the MIDI mode to Single, the controller will only play the Parts that correspond to its MIDI channel (using your example, it would only play Part 1, even if the MODX itself was playing Parts 1, 2, and 3).