Limit number of notes/voices a part can play at once (or sustained)

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
mgduke

Limit number of notes/voices a part can play at once (or sustained)

Unread post by mgduke » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:49 am

Hoping I'm just not looking in the right places in the MODX8 88 editing menus, but:

Can you limit the number of voices or notes that a part can play at once (or while sustaining)?* I'm used to having this in Ableton and Native Instruments and I could swear my Motif XS has this ability as well, so I'd be surprised if my MODX8 88 can't do this.

*I have a concert grand and organ layer, which eats up enough notes when sustaining a run or arpeggios that the grand cuts off the earlier notes to make room for the newer ones. Given the organ volume is usually 0 when I'm doing this, it'd be great to limit the # of organ notes/voices to, say, 8-10 so that the grand notes wouldn't drop out as quickly.
United States of America
anotherscott

Re: Limit number of notes/voices a part can play at once (or sustained)

Unread post by anotherscott » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:15 am

mgduke wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:49 am
I have a concert grand and organ layer, which eats up enough notes when sustaining a run or arpeggios that the grand cuts off the earlier notes to make room for the newer ones. Given the organ volume is usually 0 when I'm doing this, it'd be great to limit the # of organ notes/voices to, say, 8-10 so that the grand notes wouldn't drop out as quickly.
I've seen that feature on Rolands, I don't know off-hand whether the MODX has something like that. But one thing to keep in mind is that many of the organ sounds use many elements. Even a single-Part organ sound can be using all 8 elements to duplicate 8 of the drawbars, for example. That means that limiting an organ sound to 8 instances of polyphony could end up restricting it to a single note.
User avatar United States of America
mgduke

Unread post by mgduke » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:24 am

Thanks, anotherscott. Yeah, that occurred to me as well. Also, I spoke with a Yamaha rep and, indeed, limiting voices is not an option.

One partial fix to this is to eliminate the organ lower register via note limit since, when played concurrently with the grand, it gets pretty boomy and messy. That could save me a few notes for the grand.
United States of America
anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:57 am

Have you turned the sustain pedal off for the organ sound?

If you're desperate for more polyphony, you can try getting some of your sounds from an external device (iPhone/iPad, laptop, sound module).

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”