Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul

User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

MODX8 to Yamaha HS8s - "Buzz" in Speakers

Unread post by parametric » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:41 am

A Mate of mine has just bought the MODX8 and a pair of Yamaha HS8s from Yamaha's London Shop.

Delivered on Wednesday, when he set it up and switched on, there was a significant BUZZ from the Speakers,

with the volume levels on the Speakers set to about 50%.

(Simple connection arrangement - MODX L + R outputs to HS8 inputs . . . . )

He was sold a pair of quality cables to connect these up, and from his description, they are TRS . . . . .

The MODX has TS outputs - hasn't it? - So why was he sold TRS Leads? (more expensive - perhaps?) :roll:

He wondered if the cables were the problem and returned to the Shop, where the assistant tested them.

This he did by approaching a potential customer who was trying out a guitar -

and swapping out the lead for one of my Mate's leads. :o :o :o (NOT very professional IMO) :roll:

Am I "behind the times" here? - But I thought Guitar Leads were TS? (except some special cases . . . . )

Cables were declared fit for purpose - and my Mate went home a tried again - NO Change . . . .

I am thinking that the third wire in the TRS leads is "floating" and acting as an aerial, perhaps

So he's returning the lot to The Yamaha Shop in hope of reproducing the fault there . . . .

Despite widespread opinions that TRS and TS are largely interchangeable - and will work in most cases,

I think in THIS situation, TS Leads should be used.

I have always considered it best to use the correct cables for the job in hand to avoid unexpected "issues".

The HS8s have TRS inputs, but claim to work OK with TS, although, these should be "as short as possible".

Anyone else had this BUZZ problem? - Was there a solution in the end?

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MODX8 to Yamaha HS8s - "Buzz" in Speakers

Unread post by Saul » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:16 am

I don't think I would have "tested" the lead with a guitar! 8O What happened to customer service at Yamaha Music London? Why not go and plug it into a MODX and HS8? THEN they could say it's not the cable!

I doubt it would be the HS8's themselves. The chances of having two faulty speakers together is incredibly low.

Could be an issue with the MODX8 but as the cables are the easiest things to check of course they would be first on the list.

Has your friend tried plugging anything else into the HS8's with the same cables?
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:14 pm

Saul wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:16 am
I don't think I would have "tested" the lead with a guitar! 8O What happened to customer service at Yamaha Music London? Why not go and plug it into a MODX and HS8? THEN they could say it's not the cable!
Indeed. He tells me he will taxi the whole bundle back to the shop in due course for them to check.

If the fault remains - then I guess they'll replace the MODX8 (I too doubt it's the Speakers).

However, if the system is quiet - then he has to look at the possibility of a bad Mains supply back at home?

A bad Earth somewhere - perhaps?
Saul wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:16 am
I doubt it would be the HS8's themselves. The chances of having two faulty speakers together is incredibly low.

Could be an issue with the MODX8 but as the cables are the easiest things to check of course they would be first on the list.

Has your friend tried plugging anything else into the HS8's with the same cables?
I know for a fact he has no other gear with 1/4" Jacks at that address, so that check is not possible.

He does have a FantomX8 and active Speakers of unknown make at another address, but it''s not local . . .

So he will await the Checks at Yamaha London . . . .

I'll post the outcome when I hear . . . .

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

User avatar Australia
pax-eterna

Unread post by pax-eterna » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:46 pm

Using TRS cables will cause this "buzzing", more like a mild distortion noise really. Only use TS cables with the MODX.
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:59 pm

pax-eterna wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:46 pm
Using TRS cables will cause this "buzzing", more like a mild distortion noise really. Only use TS cables with the MODX.
My feelings entirely . . . . . Thanks for that, PE . . . . I'll pass it on . . . . . (Y)

para

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:06 pm

Just spoke to my Mate . . . .

He's on his way back to Yamaha London with his gear . . . .

From what <PE> said, I'm increasingly of the opinion that the problem is due to being sold the WRONG LEADS?

I don't think it's unfair to say that this should NOT HAPPEN at the Flagship Shop.

I would expect the Sales Team to be Technically "Savvy" - not merely Shop Assistants . . . . :naughty:

Stay tuned . . . . .

parametric

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

User avatar United States of America
pologuy

Unread post by pologuy » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:46 pm

parametric wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:41 am

I have always considered it best to use the correct cables for the job in hand to avoid unexpected "issues".
This...
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:03 pm

I agree with you Chris. At some stores we might expect "sales assistants" with less than great knowledge but at Yamaha Music London that should simply never happen.

This is a LOT of messing about for your friend and I hope they have the common sense to compensate him in some way.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:10 pm

Well, I don't know how competitive the pricing is at Yamaha's HQ Shop, but I would have thought a spend of around

£1800 should warrant some sort of gesture? . . . . . (No - NOT that one . . . :lol: :lol: )

Chris

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:41 pm

Ha ha, well personally I rarely look to Yamaha Music London to buy anything because their prices are mostly a lot higher than elsewhere. Probably the overheads of a large store in the centre of London doesn't help!

Occasionally they have deals that work out to be very competitive but they are far and few between so...if you are paying top money the least you can expect is top service?
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:03 am

My Mate returned back home with his Gear -

It all checked out OK at Yamaha just fine. He was seen by a tech support guy, who was "Very Pleasant" . .

So kudos there . . .

The supplied leads WERE in fact TS (My mate was confused by the difference I had explained).

So it looks like the problem may be in HIS domestic supply . . . .

I suggested he tries a filtered trailing multiway - or even a filtered socket in place of his resident one.

Beyond that, his Electricity Provider should check his installation . . . . ?

Chris

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:50 pm

Ok well that at least rules out the MODX, the HS8's and the leads. Good to hear Yamaha Music London checked everything out for him.

Always going to be a problem tracking down the source of speaker noise if you don't have any other means of testing things.

It could be the leads or speakers are picking up noise from other nearby devices such as tv, refrigerator, central heating, lighting and so on. A good power filter should sort that. I would really want to trace the cause though rather than mask the symptom. If he has any dodgy wiring he definitely needs it investigated. Maybe get an electrician to check the wiring just to be on the safe side?
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

User avatar France
EXer

Unread post by EXer » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:04 pm

Some hints about connecting an unbalanced output to a balanced input (Genelec website) :

https://www.genelec.com/electronics-and-cabling#qid-925
EX5 EX5 EX5R FS1R TX81Z TX81Z TX7 A4000
EX5Tech Member #101
User avatar United States of America
pologuy

Unread post by pologuy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:26 pm

So you can't/shouldn't use the MODX with the JBL line of studio monitors?

Because the JBL studio monitors have a TRS input and not a TS input...
User avatar Australia
pax-eterna

Unread post by pax-eterna » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:51 pm

A TRS input will accept a TS - it is just a Yamaha quirk that when you use a TRS on the mono outs of the MODX, it overloads the signal...without seeing the schematic, who knows why this is so. I'd say it's about the only keyboard I have come across that does this. Well, at least, I have not noticed it on other 'boards I have owned!

I have JBL's in my studio and they run fine!