Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Bulgaria
Kal1n_M

Re: Usb Driver unstable

Unread post by Kal1n_M » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:18 pm

ZT Scheer wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:42 pm
You should come and explain this to people at Intel and Microsoft, as they so clearly have no idea what code they are writing, and have desperate need of your superior knowledge in this regard, lol.

Honestly, there were 2-3 sessions at NAMM with experts from Intel, Microsoft and PCAudiolabs presenting. The issues with ASIO are well-known, and were discussed in great detail.
We are all waiting for these great Intel and Microsoft experts to come with a better solution for low latency audio driver that can be used in pro applications... as a matter of fact we are waiting for them for good 20 years now. Hopefully, a solution that will not push an update to your audio interface and "bluescreen" it, but hey, these are Microsoft experts, they know better!
In the meantime, I will continue using my Yamaha-Steinberg ASIO driver that never gave me any trouble. But hey, I am just a random guy, I am no expert...
United States of America
ZT Scheer

Unread post by ZT Scheer » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:00 pm

Kal1n_M wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:18 pm
We are all waiting for these great Intel and Microsoft experts to come with a better solution for low latency audio driver that can be used in pro applications... as a matter of fact we are waiting for them for good 20 years now. ...
There's no doubt that pro-audio has not been on Intel or Microsoft's list of "top issues" until very recently. Since Apple has all but abandoned pro-audio in any serious way (they closed down the pro-audio lab about 5-6 years ago), it's been fallow ground.

Microsoft has indeed taken some strides in the last 1 or 2 Windows 10 upgrades, the effect of which can dramatically increase the number of plug-ins which will load, as well as decreasing latency. If you understand what "FLS Slots" are, the limit just went from 128 to over 4000. This is a big deal. In the presentations at NAMM forward-looking announcements were made, the effect of which will be significant decreases in load-times, lower (stable) latencies, much better streaming performance and caching/affinity behaviors in concert with Intel Optane and other faster storage/RAM technologies. PCAudioLAbs demonstrated a configuration where a ridiculous number of large Kontakt libraries loaded in about 90 seconds (including boot time for the PC) , as opposed to hours for a standard PC or Mac. One attendee noted that it was much faster than booting a Korg Kronos. This is not a small thing IMHO.

If you are happy with what you have ... so be it. Better stuff is coming. Do as you will.
User avatar United States of America
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:13 pm

MIDI 2.0, plus this... all I can say is

"The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades!"

Now if only it would hurry up and get here. 8)
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:10 am

ZT Scheer wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:00 pm
Since Apple has all but abandoned pro-audio in any serious way (they closed down the pro-audio lab about 5-6 years ago), it's been fallow ground.
Wow - I hadn't heard THAT. Apple had always been King for ProAudio for so long that had I given up wondering about it . .

. . talk about killing the goose that laid the golden egg . . . . ?

I'm PC based myself, so I'm pleased to hear that MS is looking at this aspect . . . I use Kontakt too . . . .

Nevertheless, my own experiences in Commercial Sound Recording largely confirm that Apple is still King . . . .

The last two sessions I did with Rick Wakeman were Both Apple based at Angel Studios London. . . . (iMac/ProTools IIRC),

as was the "EmeraldSabbath" project at Mark Knopfler's British Grove Studios . . . .

I can confirm that the 1999 "Return to the Centre of the Earth" album of Rick's at CTS Wembley was executed on

a specially configured "Cubase" on PC, interfacing with a pair of Sony DASH recorders (80 tracks total) . . .

Steinberg actually got a credit on the Album . . .

Sessions I was involved with prior to this were pre-computer, and so 2" Tape . . . . .

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”