is it possible to use pedal instead of the assign button?

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul

User avatar Czech Republic
Radim

is it possible to use pedal instead of the assign button?

Unread post by Radim » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:00 pm

ImageHi guys!
Please, is it possible to use pedal (sustain, foot switch or controler) instead of the assign 1 button for control element for example brass fall :)???
I need my left hand for playing and this way would be better for me than control it by velocity...
User avatar United States of America
martyjones6294

Re: is it possible to use pedal instead of the assign button?

Unread post by martyjones6294 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:00 pm

Absolutely you can do this. You just have to program the controller assignment for the part. Source would be FS (footswitch) and the destination will be the same destination as the current mapping for AS1. Unfortunately, you can't just go to the current assignment for AS1 and change it to FS, but it is not really that difficult. Make sure to note any parameters in the AS1 assignment and duplicate them when you set up the FS assignment.
User avatar Czech Republic
Radim

Unread post by Radim » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:04 pm

Thank you very much, but I'm sorry, still don't understand.. Could you write me please step by step setting for example "PopHorns Dyn Shake"? Part 4 - edit - Mod/control - Control Assign - and after that?
I'm afraid, Elem1 - XA Control menu doesn't contain "footswitch" and this is the problem.. I would like to be wrong..
User avatar United States of America
martyjones6294

Unread post by martyjones6294 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:05 pm

Okay, this is a bit tricky but here goes.

First, if you are going to use a footswitch it must be a momentary switch, not a latching switch. Otherwise you will not be able to get the momentary effect that you are looking for. The momentary/latching feature is controlled by the type of switch, not the MODX.

The way that this performance is set up, the asgnSW1 is activating the XA control, turning off parts 1 & 2 and turning on part 4. We can do a workaround where the footswitch turns the VOLUME for each part up and down.

1. Edit part 1, element 1 and change the XA control to NORMAL. You will have to do this for all 8 elements, since it is using all of them for various key ranges and velocities. Do the same for parts 2 and 4. This removes them from the XA control. When you strike a key, you should hear both the regular voice and the fall voice.

2. Edit part 4 common and turn the amplitude to zero. Now you should only hear the regular voice.

3. Edit part 1. Go to Mod/Control and add a control for the footswitch (FS). The destination should be Element level. All of the destination elements should be green, so you control all elements with the FS. For the envelope, make it Curve=standard, Ratio=-64, Param1=0. This gives a fast on/off envelope in the NEGATIVE direction. Now, when you strike a key and hit the footswitch, the regular sound drops out and only the fall should be present.

4. Edit part 2 the same way. This part is controlled by the MS so the sound is not always present, but we need to modify it, too, so that it will drop out when you hit the fall if you have the MS turned up.

4. Edit part 4. Same thing as step three, but the Ratio is a POSITIVE 64. This adds to the volume of part 4 when the FS is pressed.

That should do it. What you have done is made is so the footswitch cuts the volume of parts 1 & 2 to zero and pushes the volume of part 4 to the max. If the volume of part 4 is too intense, back off the ratio until you get the proper amplitude.

I don't have a momentary switch, but I did it using my latching switch and also my sweep pedal and both worked just fine.

Hope that was helpful.