TS output from MODX... but only TRS monitor speakers...

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
pologuy

TS output from MODX... but only TRS monitor speakers...

Unread post by pologuy » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:55 pm

OK, can someone in the know please explain this "oddity" to me...?

Why would Yamaha only put a TS output on the MODX - when all of the monitor speakers that one would choose to use with the MODX only have either a XLR or TRS input...?

Am I missing something here?

I am TOTALLY confused.
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TS output from MODX... but only TRS monitor speakers...

Unread post by parametric » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:07 am

I would suggest it's purely a cost issue.

A shame to "Spoil the ship for a ha'peth of Tar" but I guess that's all it's about . . . .

I don't know what the cost difference would be in truth, but the other side of the argument has to be that

Yamaha need to hold some things back, to justify customers spending nearly double the price for the Montage . . . .

Only problem is that potential customers might view THAT feature as indicating suitability for Stage

(i.e.Professional) use.

In all other ways, the MODX is a great board . . . remembering that the "Balanced Output " problem CAN be sorted out

using a pair of balancing boxes. Not as convenient as the Montage, but do-able . . . . 8)

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
User avatar Australia
pax-eterna

Unread post by pax-eterna » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:00 am

My JBL monitors have XLR and TRS connectors and the outs from the MODX work fine for them. But NOT for my EV F.O.H. live rig speakers...weird!
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:42 pm

IME - ElectroVoice have always been considered a top Class Brand . . . so I'm surprised that this is a problem for them . .

Still, a pair of balancing boxes (or a two channel one) should sort it out . . . .

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
ZT Scheer

Unread post by ZT Scheer » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:51 pm

It's not necessarily a problem, unless you are experiencing gain-staging or ground-hum issues.

Ordinarily, one does not connect a keyboard directly to a monitor speaker. It would be connected to a mixer, whose TRS/XLR outputs would then go to the monitors or P.A. system. It's not "wrong" to connect directly to the monitors (I do so on occasion) ... just make sure you watch your input pad selection and set it appropriately.
pologuy

Unread post by pologuy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:55 pm

ZT Scheer wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:51 pm
Ordinarily, one does not connect a keyboard directly to a monitor speaker. It would be connected to a mixer, whose TRS/XLR outputs would then go to the monitors...
:?:

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”