MODx maybe soon

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Greece
indietronic

MODx maybe soon

Unread post by indietronic » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:04 pm

hello there YamahaMusicians ! Having used a number of synths during the past 30 years or so , the time has come for a new addition . So , i playtested the Modx7 yesterday at my local Yamaha retailer store , and i have some questions that need answers.

1) first and more important : is the keybed on the modx6 the same as in modx7 ? i tested the 7 , if this is identical to the one on 6 i may go with 6.
2) i noticed a displacement of my fingerprint , i mean i had to touch/press much lower on the screen to be able to click to a point/option/window that looked higher on the screen. the distance could be even 1 or even more cm . is this thing somehow calibrated or what ? have had tritons and fa's (in the past) , still NO problems , first time actually i face such a "problem" ...
3) there IS of course a lag , but i guess i can live with it . what you say ? any chance this is improved by s/w in the future ?
4) i was really impressed of the sounds on it (well my last yammie , was a mox6 , some 8-10 years ago i think) i found the polyphony ok and the build EVEN better that i expected . any problems unsolved at the moment ? you users think this is a good moment for such a purchase ? i mainly compose on Ableton Live , and play piano and string at my free time . need a rompler , just one i think , old-school guy you see...

and finally :

5) anyone here using HS7 active monitors ? i was about to give them to a friend of mine , but the idea of an All-Yamaha mini setup seems to excite me , at the moment

thank you , looking forward to your opinions and answers .
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MODx maybe soon

Unread post by Saul » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:47 pm

Hi indietronic, welcome to yamahamusicians.com :)

So first up yes the keybed in the MODX6 & 7 are the same.

The screen can be calibrated and works really well after that so no problems there.

There is a slight lag but you can turn off some or all the visual effect and that helps. I didn't find the lag any worse than other touch screens I have used though.

Yamaha will be releasing regular updates for MODX but bear in mind it is still a relatively new keyboard, having only been launched at the beginning of Sept last year so just over 4 months out of the gate.

I had the HS7's on test and I found them to be excellent. I would have kept them but the only place I could put them at the time would have been too close to a wall and they are not ideal for that position so I went for a pair of KRK's instead. I would though definitely consider them again as I have more space to locate them.

Hope that helps a little? I am sure the guys will chip in with their thoughts and suggestions pretty soon so hang in there.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
User avatar Greece
indietronic

Re: MODx maybe soon

Unread post by indietronic » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:21 pm

Thank you Saul for your answers . unfortuanately i see that modx6 is in shortage on thomann.de and couple other central EU distributors . wo waiting for new stock to arrive , then i guess i will proceed !

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”