MOXF arps on MODX?

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Great Britain
Kentkeys

MOXF arps on MODX?

Unread post by Kentkeys » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:44 pm

I recently upgraded (I hope) from a MOXF8 to a MODX8. On the MOXF, I used to enjoy playing around with the "auto-accompaniment" arps such as the Baroque trumpet concerto. Are these arps buried somewhere in the MODX and, if so, how do I access them?

I know that it is possible to run these arps on the MODX because the first MODX I got was an ex-demo machine which had apparently been used by Yamaha at shows. It arrived with its memory full of files with names that meant nothing to me. While tinkering with it, I came across some of the MOXF arps which seemed to work as they did on the MOXF. But I'm not sure whether they were built into the MODX or had been added via those mysterious files.

Unfortunately, this MODX suffered from the noisy-key syndrome so I sent it back and was sent a replacement which arrived with an empty memory. I haven't been able to find the MOXF arps again, hence my question: are they built into the MODX, or would I have to import them? If the answer is the latter, does anyone have any idea where I might find the files?

Thanks
User avatar United States of America
RatherBeGigging

Re: MOXF arps on MODX?

Unread post by RatherBeGigging » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:53 pm

I don't know the answer to your question about MOXF arps, but I am wondering if you could describe the
"noisy key syndrome" that you encountered on your first MODX8? I'm very familiar with the various post about this.
What exactly was your first board doing?

Thanks.
User avatar Great Britain
Kentkeys

Re: MOXF arps on MODX?

Unread post by Kentkeys » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:35 am

There were two white keys some distance apart which made a noticeable mechanical click on release, similar to the noise that you can hear in the YouTube video in the MODX keybed thread. There was also a region of just over an octave where the white key noise was louder than I would have liked, but I could probably have lived with it had it not been for the other noisier keys.

It is possible that my MODX having been used by Yamaha at a show may have been played "enthusiastically" by members of the public who would not have treated their own instrument in the same way.

The keybed in the replacement MODX that I now have seems fine and is similar to that in the MOXF I had before. Let's hope it stays that way!

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”