Time signatures (not 4/4)

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Great Britain
BaldKeef

Time signatures (not 4/4)

Unread post by BaldKeef » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:00 am

Hi folks, complete noob here - just got my MODX7 on Monday (but it's going back due to a clacky key, hopefully to be replaced quickly) and something hit me straight away.
I wanted to check the performance recording, but the first song I thought of happened to be in 3/4... and the time signature setting (on the first piano sound, for example) isn't editable in the performance recording. I copied the performance to a new live set, in case it was due to it being a preset, but still not editable. I've looked in the click/metronome settings and pretty much everywhere, I think, but must be missing something. There are preset arpeggios in 3/4, etc. so I'm sure it can be done.

So question - how do we change the time signature please? This is for performance recording, but also (since I think this is the quickest way to create a new arpeggio) for arpeggios as well.

I sometimes noodle with a prog-rock mate who wants to change time-signature every few bars and I thought I could handle this nicely with different arpeggios in different scenes, but how to get those weird signatures in the first place?

Thanks for any ideas and many thanks Saul and the team for a great forum - I looked around a lot before buying and this resource was a big plus in figuring things out, knowing what to expect and knowing that there's a vibrant community. Nice one.

Keith
United States of America
RatherBeGigging

Re: Time signatures (not 4/4)

Unread post by RatherBeGigging » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:08 am

Keith,
I don't know the answer to your time signature question (I bet someone in the forum will), but I was concerned to hear that you returned your MODX7 for some "clacky keys". Was it this way straight out of the box? How many keys? What did it sound/feel like?

I'm aware of the issues that some folks are having with the keys on MOX8. Are people having key-related problems with MODX6/7 as well?
BaldKeef

Unread post by BaldKeef » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:31 am

Hi there, yeah I was a little disappointed, too. It's just one key (middle D), making a kind of creaking sound when pressed and a distinct click/clack when released. The other keys are all consistent and fine. In some ways I feel a bit picky - the key seems to funtion fine - but I didn't expect it and I'm worried that it is a sign of possible future failure. It's very noticeable now, playing at home at low volume and is quite distracting, but wouldn't be a problem in a live situation.
BaldKeef

Unread post by BaldKeef » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:40 am

I think I've found my problem with the time signatures - I was pressing the PLAY button to get to the song recorder area (I think) and looking at existing songs, but pressing REC and starting a new song makes the time signature available for changing. Once the song is saved, you cannot change it (not unreasonable). Phew. Prog arps here we come...

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”