Arpeggiator - limiting to keys within split

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Great Britain
BaldKeef

Arpeggiator - limiting to keys within split

Unread post by BaldKeef » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:58 pm

Maybe another daft question but...
I have a piano part in the lower part of the key range, set to play an arpeggio.
I have a mono synth lead part in the upper part of the key range with no arp.
The key ranges do not overlap (or even come close now, as I've been trying to work out what's happening).

When I hold a chord in the piano part of the keyboard the arp plays as I'd expect, but as I play notes in the synth lead area of the keyboard, the arp seems to take notice of these and adjust/add-to the arp notes being played, even though those keys aren't set to be sent to that part.

I'm just using one of the built-in arps for the piano for now.

I suspect it's an arp setting on the parts that I'm missing, but can anyone point me in the right direction, please?

Many thanks,
Keith
User avatar Italy
dfinucci

Re: Arpeggiator - limiting to keys within split

Unread post by dfinucci » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:08 am

Good morning.
I'm waiting for a MODX but, as far as i konw after reading manuals, you have to disable Arpeggio on second part.
Let me know if this helps.
D
:confusion-confused:
User avatar Great Britain
BaldKeef

Unread post by BaldKeef » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:35 am

I think it was my confusion over the two sets of key ranges in play.
On the part strip in the performance you can set a key range, which limits the keys that the sound responds to when playing from the keyboard.
I'd missed the similar key range that appears within the arpeggiator menus, which control the keys that the arp responds to and can be completely different. Setting this key range was the key to my issue. If the arp is set to only the lowest octave (for example) then it doesn't try to add in keys pressed outside this range to the arpeggiation.

Hope this helps someone else with similar confusion.
I probably just needed to read manuals, but the UI is good enough that I haven't needed to yet!

Keith
User avatar Chile
aoliver

Unread post by aoliver » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:05 pm

Thanks BaldKeef!
I was also troubled looking for a solution for this, I looked into the manuals but nowhere is it specified that for arps there are two "key range" options with different functions.

Just to be clear and so you can confirm if I understand well (I do not have my keyboard at this time to try for myself):

The key range settings in the strip for any part in the performance screen specify within which range of keys the sounds are triggered for that part (keyboard split), however, for arpeggio parts this option works differently, limiting the range of notes that the arpeggio will play.

To limit the range of keys that can trigger an arpeggio, you must modify the "note limit" parameters, which appear in the common edition section of an arpeggio-type part.

Can't wait to get home to try this solution.

Alvaro
User avatar Chile
aoliver

Unread post by aoliver » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:35 pm

I was finally able to try this function myself, so this message is only to confirm that BaldKeef's solution works as described in the previous messages.

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”