What is/are the 'variation effect(s)' as opposed to any others?

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Great Britain
dcjams

Unread post by dcjams » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:44 am

Hello

As title

The manual keeps referring to the 'variation' effect, I'm not quite sure what it means in terms of the overall effects structure/architecture of the MODX.

Thanks
Jim
User avatar United States of America
PotionSequencer

Re: What is/are the 'variation effect(s)' as opposed to any others?

Unread post by PotionSequencer » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:18 pm

The Variation System Effect block uses various type of modulation processing in addition to Chorus, Reverb, and Delay.
-> Page 57 Synthesizer Parameter Manual

My current understanding is that the effects are not different, but rather you can use them differently with the Variation System Effect block. If you want to customize an effect and apply it to multiple parts, you set up the effect in the Variation block (Performance Home - Edit - Common - Effect), and then you turn up the Var Send parameter (Performance - Edit - Part <n> - Part Settings - General) for each part you want to apply the effect to. So you can have the same customized effect applied to multiple parts in various degrees, and you can set Variation parameters to assignable knobs, and toggle the block on and off. The Variation block also interacts with the Reverb and Master FX blocks based on your settings (e.g. Var to Rev & Var Return). Check out 169-174 of the Reference Manual.
User avatar Great Britain
dcjams

Re: What is/are the 'variation effect(s)' as opposed to any others?

Unread post by dcjams » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:41 pm

Ah ok, cool, that makes sense. Thanks. I'll check those pages for more details

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”