USB port causes noise

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
Jmoss

USB port causes noise

Unread post by Jmoss » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:04 am

I have noticed the low level noise coming from my MODX8 for some time now. Thought it was just noisy but no, when I unplugged the host usb connection from the computer the noise totally dissipated. So I thought maybe my computer was causing the noise but no, when I hooked the other end to anything USB wise the noise came back. Tried different usb cables as well. Same result on everything. Anyone else notice this?
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: USB port causes noise

Unread post by Saul » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:35 am

Well you definitely shouldn't be getting any noise through the USB cable. What sort of power outlet is your MODX plugged into? It's possible it is a mains generated noise so I would try a different outlet first and also perhaps a surge protector with noise filter built in.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:49 am

I'm not sure how domestic power is arranged in the US, but IME, if components of a Sound System are powered from

different PHASES, the result can be a noisy system . . .

Case in point - A studio, where everything was powered in the Control Room. The Mac was located in a "Machine Room"

(to isolate noise from the Fan) and supplied from a different "Phase" . . . Result - a noisy system.

We ran a mains cable from the Control room to the Machine Room to power the Mac - Result - a Quiet system . .

ALL components now powered from the same Phase . . . . .

But you need to check with a local electrician that it is arranged in this fashion in the US. . . . :idea:

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
User avatar Spain
EB5AGV

Unread post by EB5AGV » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:19 pm

Does the USB cable have ferrite filters on both ends?

Jose
Jose Gavila

Yamaha DX7, TX81Z, DX11, 4x SY77, TG77, SPX990, SY85, A3000, EX5R, EX7, MOTIF RACK XS, DGX660, PSR-EW410, Genos

Akai S5000
Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Pigments, Analog Lab 3, Piano V-2
Casio CT-X5000
Korg M1, Wavestation, X3, Triton Rack, Triton Le 76
Modartt Pianoteq 6
Roland D-50, JV-1080, XV-3080
Steinberg Cubase Pro 10, The Grand 3
StudioLogic SL88 Studio
User avatar Bulgaria
Kal1n_M

Unread post by Kal1n_M » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:25 pm

It definitely sounds like electricity problem, either phase issue or ground problem in the PC, etc. I can't see how it could be a MODX problem. Try using a UPS with standard power outlets and run your PC and MODX thru it, check if that helps. I know that fixed a slight hum in one of my HS7 speakers...
User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Derek » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:26 pm

Dumb question: is it a good quality USB cable? If you try a different cable do you get the same problem?
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
User avatar United States of America
anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:22 pm

If your computer is a laptop, try unplugging it from the mains and just running it from battery, that might solve it. Unlike 5-pin MIDI, USB MIDI can be susceptible to ground loops. (I remember reading that some people have also solved the problem by modifying their USB cable.)
User avatar Great Britain
Davelet

Unread post by Davelet » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:30 pm

It's a common problem, if you do a bit of google searching. What do you have connected to the output of your MOXF (i.e., the main Audio outputs)? Is it a mixer with inputs from other audio sources? Does disconnecting these sources also eliminate the noise?

I ask because I have my MOXF connected via USB to a laptop, and also a ROLAND audio interface connected via USB to the same laptop. Both the MOXF and the ROLAND interface are connected to a mains-power MacKie mixer. And there is high-pitched USB noise on my monitors (which are connected to the MacKie mixer main output bus).

If I disconnect any *one* of the following the noise goes away:

- MOXF USB to laptop
- ROLAND USB to laptop
- ROLAND output to Mixer
- Mains power to laptop

I basically work around the problem by always disconnecting one of the above when working on my productions but it is a pain! All are connected to the same mains power outlet, and it's not a "ground loop" in the traditional sense of the word, as all the RoLAND is bus-powered, and the MOXF and MacKie are powered through SMPS-style power bricks (so no earth).

People have reported success by hacking open the USB cable and splitting the shield with a sharp knife (be careful not to cut into the wires underneath the shield). OR you could try to find an ancient rubbish USB 1.1 cable with no shield at all - if you can find one!

David.

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”