Using Unrealbook with MOD x7

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
lenster

Using Unrealbook with MOD x7

Unread post by lenster » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:07 am

UPDATED Post ////
Hello. I have been a Korg fan for decades and now have just purchased a Yamaha Modx7.
Looking forward to preparing it and my other tools for gigs as soon as possible.
One of my tools is Unrealbook.
I have been crash learning the Yamaha SYSEX command structure and the way banks are set up.

(edited content - now that I know a little more)

Since I control more than one keyboard with my Ipad, I need to change the system midi to channel 9 (08)
So you will see the 8 referenced.

Lets say that I have a fake sheet in the ipad (in Unrealbook) that requires MODX Clavi Stuff (Preset 64 / 1/ 12 )

F0 43 18 7F 00 0A 00 01 00 F7 <-- (18 refers to channel 9 - not sure what 00 01 00 refers to - could be incorrect)
B8 00 40 <-- set bank MSB 64 (40)
B8 20 01 < --- set bank LSB 1
C8 0C <-- program change t0 12 (0C)

It seems that a lot of the advice to be found pertains to Montage / MOXF structure, which are not the same.

When I issue the following statements , the result I see is that - whatever program the keyboard is set to, it stays the same but parts change.

Since this is relatively new ground, I hope that somebody can clarify my errors.
. Thanks in advance - Len
User avatar United States of America
lenster

Re: Using Unrealbook with MOD x7

Unread post by lenster » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:35 pm

I have solved my own issue.
Since I am connecting several keyboards to the iPad/Unrealbook, each keyboard needs to be assigned a unique midi channel. What I discovered was that the MODX was reading every channel and responding in very strange ways.
There are two settings that need to be made.
1) in Utility , Settings , Advanced: Set Midi I/O from Multi to Single, and use the Midi channel that is unique for your app coding.
2) In the same panel, set the Device Number to the same midi channel. Otherwise you will get a Device mismatch error.
:-)

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”