Piano sounding... weird?

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Norway
Blokksberg

Piano sounding... weird?

Unread post by Blokksberg » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:51 pm

Hi! I am very happy with my modx8. I have had it for several months, but due to bad planning, havent been able to play that much.
So, i found that the piano sound was sounding rather weird. I was playing on my other keyboard, a dgx-640, and when i switched to playing the modx, i was surprised by how bad the piano sound sounded.

I don't know if this is because of the keyboard itself, or the speakers. I have a pair of hs7 speakers which should work perfectly. I have acces to an old motif xf8, where the same piano sound sounds a lot nicer and cleaner.
Do you have any suggestions?
User avatar Great Britain
Les Turnbull

Re: Piano sounding... weird?

Unread post by Les Turnbull » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:08 pm

Thread here about sending back HS7 and saving up for Adams A7X viewtopic.php?f=129&t=12108&start=60#p77841
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:36 pm

Not sure if the HS7's would be the problem but the Adams A7X are better speakers by quite some margin..hence why they are more expensive ;)

Of course the easy way to eliminate the speakers from being the cause of the problem is to use a pair of headphones and then compare the MODX, DGX and XF8. If you are experiencing the same thing through the headphones that would mean your HS7's are fine and the problem is in the MODX. However it may not actually be a "problem" as such and is just a result of you not playing it for a while and using the DGX instead.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
User avatar Canada
vertig0spin

Unread post by vertig0spin » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:33 pm

Blokksberg wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:51 pm
I don't know if this is because of the keyboard itself, or the speakers. I have a pair of hs7 speakers which should work perfectly. I have acces to an old motif xf8, where the same piano sound sounds a lot nicer and cleaner.
Do you have any suggestions?
I think the main thing that you (and I) are experiencing is that Yamaha did one of the best jobs possible at sampling/replicating an acoustic grand piano, so that with the right speakers, it sounds far more like you are playing an actual CFX Grand, as opposed to playing a digital piano that was sampled & EQ'd to be used in a Pop recording. The frequencies required to get this level of realism are far more demanding on speakers, and this includes Yamaha's version of the Bosendorfer piano too.

If I put my fairly decent quality earphones on or even listen to versions of the Montage/MODX pianos through my earbuds, they sound quite awesome. But speakers, I have come to discover, can't handle these more demanding frequencies so easily as the earphones/earbuds do, and therefore show their true colors.

It is hard to truly experience and believe it until you actually hear these pianos through higher end speakers, but after messing with the master eq when demoing the Yamaha HS7's & HS8's using the Montage, and then having played the same pianos through the Adam A7X's, it was the closest experience I could have imagined to playing an actual acoustic grand. I have had a few occasions where I actually got to sit at and play an acoustic grand, and this felt as close to that as I've experienced to date.

I am certain that if you were to try the same thing through the HS7's or HS8's, and then the Adam's, you would experience the same thing. Then if you were to play those Motif xf8 pianos sounds through the same Adam speakers, you would likely hear that those pianos don't sound as natural & realistic, as the CFX pianos on the Montage/MODX, and that they sound more like pianos that were recorded, mixed & mastered like the ones you hear in a Pop/Rock song on the radio.

If you are not concerned about getting the authentic realism of an acoustic grand and just want the pianos on the MODX to sound good like on the Motif, you will need to use the Master Eq and make the MODX pianos more like other digital pianos that are more ready for radio. See the link above (that Les Turnbull posted) where I shared EQ settings that worked pretty well for me on the Yamaha HS8's. Of course you will need to use these settings more as a guide to 'possible' frequencies and 'possible' amounts to lower/increase them, because your room may be different than mine and room acoustics can really affect sound frequencies, especially for these particular pianos. Your room might demand that you take one of the frequencies down lower or not at all. If you can hook the Motif up at the same time, it might be easier to EQ the MODX pianos' frequencies to be colored more like the Motif's pianos... Actually, if you go to the Motif category on the MODX, those Motif pianos may already be in there exactly as they are from the Motif. I actually was playing them from that category the other night for a short period through my headphones. They sounded alright, but did not come close to the CFX pianos in the MODX/Montage Preset location.
Last edited by vertig0spin on Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Norway
Blokksberg

Unread post by Blokksberg » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:54 pm

Ok thanks so much, i will try what you said😁😁
User avatar United States of America
PotionSequencer

Unread post by PotionSequencer » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:14 pm

For me, the preset AWM2 parts are greatly enhanced by adding a FM-X part. For example, CFX Stage + The FM E.Piano. From there I changed the FM piano's algorithm (for both parts), and changed the system effect blocks. Changing the effect in the Reverb block was probably the most important thing.

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”