Loss of quality on WAV export?

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Great Britain
mitya

Loss of quality on WAV export?

Unread post by mitya » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:04 pm

I've finally gotten round to doing my first recording.

https://soundcloud.com/andrewcroxall/ta ... -it-happen

My modus operandi was to make an audio recording onto a connected USB stick.

Now, I'm no audio engineer so I'm going to struggle with the terminolgoy here, but to my ear there's been some quality loss during save. I thought WAV was lossless, so perhaps it's just a case of awesome headphones (on the board) vs. so-so speakers (on the PC)?

Listening to it back on Wavepad on my PC, the piano tone is definitely no where near as nice as it was when recording it on the board. I'm using the CFX flagship piano, by the way.

Would I expect better quality if I recorded over USB straight to a computer rather than as a WAV to a USB stick?

Thanks all!
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Loss of quality on WAV export?

Unread post by parametric » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:01 am

Hi mitya,

I edited your post, as the link wasn't happening . . . . ;)
mitya wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:04 pm
I've finally gotten round to doing my first recording.

https://soundcloud.com/andrewcroxall/ta ... -it-happen

My modus operandi was to make an audio recording onto a connected USB stick.

Now, I'm no audio engineer so I'm going to struggle with the terminolgoy here, but to my ear there's been some quality loss during save. I thought WAV was lossless, so perhaps it's just a case of awesome headphones (on the board) vs. so-so speakers (on the PC)?
I would doubt that there's a quality loss when saving. IME it just doesn't happen. A digital recording to .wav is about as good as it gets . . . .

It would make no difference how this is achieved. Writing it as a .wav direct to a usb stick, OR writing it to disk as a .wav inside a PC.
mitya wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:04 pm
Listening to it back on Wavepad on my PC, the piano tone is definitely no where near as nice as it was when recording it on the board. I'm using the CFX flagship piano, by the way.

Would I expect better quality if I recorded over USB straight to a computer rather than as a WAV to a USB stick?
I would guess it's the PC Speakers (you don't say what you are using) as "basic" Speaker sets usually found on PCs are generally SMALL and low powered.

To fully appreciate the quality available from the Yamaha you should listen on decent HiFi or Monitor Speakers - or else, decent Headphones.

I've played both the Montage and the Modx, albeit a while ago now - and as Primarily a Piano player, the Piano

Presets are obviously important from my point of view.

Yamaha Piano Presets have always sounded good to me. Quality has never been an issue with them . . . .

You are obviously an accomplished player, and the recording asks serious questions of the Preset . . .

I noticed a "change" in intensity at 2'18" which seemed to be "switched" rather than just touch?

To my ears, the more percussive top end keys seem to be slightly lacking something? - somehow a little strident

and lacking in "ring" (This stuff is difficult to put into words . . . . :roll: )

Perhaps look at a different touch curve - and see if it sounds different . . . ?

Was the recording level "good" (didn't go above 0VU)?

Always to be considered is the "treatment/compression" that SoundCloud may apply when it uploads your file . . . .

For best results, play YOUR actual .wav file with VLC - or whatever you use . . . .

Hope that helps

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
mitya

Re: Loss of quality on WAV export?

Unread post by mitya » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:15 pm

I edited your post, as the link wasn't happening . . . . ;)
Thanks :) I wasn't sure of the mark-up - figured it was possible to have the link URL/text as two different things.

Thanks for your detailed thoughts and kind words about my playing.

The more I listen back, the more I think it's definitely about the speakers I'm using. They're decent as far as desktop speakers go, but nothing that would compete with the board and a decent pair of Senheisers headphones.

As for modifying the preset, to be honest that's something I'm yet to learn. Sounds quiet scary. I'm like, well, the guys at Yamaha know a lot more than me when it comes to building presets, so who am I to go modifying it? :lol: :lol:
I noticed a "change" in intensity at 2'18" which seemed to be "switched" rather than just touch?
I salute your ear, Sir. That's the point at which I unceremoniously spliced one recording into another, as I kept messing up the difficult bit towards the end. However, both were recorded in the same way and settings, and then spliced together in Wavepad. Crude, but, yeah...

Thanks again.

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”