A short USB Stick is a big help!

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Germany
redglass

A short USB Stick is a big help!

Unread post by redglass » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:04 pm

Hi,

last week I forgot to unplug my Intenso USB Stick from the MODX and it almosts broke when transporting with the gig bag.
So I decided to get a very small USB stick (Intenso slim line), that I can leave in the unit.

Just a recommandation for MODX users!

Best, Bastian
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: A short USB Stick is a big help!

Unread post by parametric » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:37 am

Hi <redglass> . . . .

THIS is the drive you need.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5348 ... olid=20008

32Gb Cruzer Fit micro usb Flash Drive.jpg

I just bought one for the car. It contains the entire content of my iPod Classic - and remains plugged in.

More or less invisible (unless you KNOW it is there.) - My ipod can stay at home without risk of being stolen. ;)

This would happily live in a MODX, or any Synth needing one - with NO CHANCE of damage . . .

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
User avatar United States of America
puremusic

Unread post by puremusic » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:27 am

Why don't they make e-licensers like that?
Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia CS80 - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:08 pm

puremusic wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:27 am
Why don't they make e-licensers like that?
Most likely, the basic form factor we know and love is the CHEAPEST and manufactured in huge quantities -

so naturally they choose THAT . . . :roll:

When I was working at the Uni - we went through the iLok misery there - and hated it . . . .

I don't know if the T&Cs are unchanged - but if the iLok was stolen - there was NO REPLACEMENT of SW so affected.

THEY would have to determine a faulty iLok for any recompense to happen.

Compound THAT with the fact that ONE iLok can authorise MANY expensive packages . . .

. . . and hanging out of the back of a computer - it's easy to steal.

As far as I know, MoBos DON'T come with a female usb socket ON THE BOARD (Mac OR PC). . . . :x

. . . so it can be LOCKED inside the Machine . . . . :roll:

WHY not?

I have no gripe with Manufacturers protecting their products BTW - So long as I don't spend HOURS as an

unpaid Skivvy working for THEM . . . .
:naughty:

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

puremusic

Unread post by puremusic » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:18 pm

Lol. Looks like I'm not the only one who has strong feelings about those things.
Compound THAT with the fact that ONE iLok can authorise MANY expensive packages . . .
A fellow once told me he bought the VSL Symphonic Cube and later lost the e-licenser.

I don't use my ilok and e-licenser sticks. I got each for things I discovered after I bought or demoed them, weren't what I needed really after all. I'm tempted to put them up on eBay.

I am going to remember that mini Sandisk USB stick. I have a feeling I'll want one of those in future. I can be a klutz, if I'm walking around and could bump into something and break a USB stick in half it'll probably happen.
Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia CS80 - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:54 pm

Sure enough - in THAT situation ANYthing that sticks out is ripe for snapping off as you carry it through a door . . .

At the Uni we used to harangue the kids from Wandering about with (say) a mixer with it's loom attached

for the same reason.

Trouble is, with most modern kit, the TRS sockets are "pcb-mount" - ONLY soldered to the underlying pcb -

so if you catch the plugged-in Jack on a door - you're gonna take the pcb out . . . .

Years ago, when we had Jack-fields with 1/4" Post-Office Jack fittings - I once saw a student step on a

patch-lead "loop" that was hanging near the floor . . . . It took her entire weight - only bending the solid-brass Plugs.

The sockets were undamaged. :o But that was "then" - and this is "now".

Stuff isn't made that good any more . . . .

parametric

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:38 am

I never bought anything that required iLock simply out of principle. It was and is a daft idea and did absolutely nothing to stop theft or piracy. The ONLY thing it did was annoy the hell out of customers.

USB devices don't have to be large these days. I have a Sandisk 32GB drive here that is 4cm long and 1.5cm wide. It also has a small button on the side and can retract the actual plug part to keep it safe when carrying, in which case it becomes just 5cm long or you can slide the button to the other end and a micro usb port pops out. Versatile and cheap :)
Sandisk Ultra.png
Sandisk Ultra
Sandisk Ultra.png (68 KiB) Viewed 97 times
Obviously there are even smaller drives than this one as I think Chris mentioned.

What synth manufacturers need to be doing is putting usb compartments onto keyboards so you can slot your drive in and then it is out of the way and won't get damaged and also out of sight.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
eastsideeddie

Unread post by eastsideeddie » Wed May 01, 2019 5:23 pm

On the topic of thumb drives, how big of a drive is required to back up the stored patches on a Mox^ (which is due today but not here yet. grrrrrr) I have them in all sizes laying around here, one as big as 128gb.
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Wed May 01, 2019 11:17 pm

That info ought to be in the user manual . . .

They also might suggest certain brands . . .

These days, 32Gb is a common Max-size.

ATB

parametric

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”