A Few Questions Before (Impulse) Buying

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
cundallini

A Few Questions Before (Impulse) Buying

Unread post by cundallini » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:38 pm

Hi. We're interested in purchasing MODX synthesizer and have a few questions. We already know, from reviews etc, that MODX lacks an arranger from the MotifXF and is geared towards performance and not a typical workstation arrangement. So we were wondering... if we take one of the preloaded Performances on MODX (Pearly Gates, performance 749 - for instance) can we do the following:

A) Edit the drum track of the said Performance and rearrange it (e.g. creating a different beat)?
B) Replace the entire drum patch (kick/snare/hihats) in the drum track with a new one?
C) All of the above for the other tracks (bass, synth etc)?
D) If yes, can it be done on the synth itself or does one need to export the MIDI file of the track within a
Performance, edit it on a computer and then send it back to the synth? Or is it all done via Arps?
F) Can sounds/patches within a track be stacked/layered? E.g. 2 (or more) kick drum sounds layered to create a
single kick within a drum track?
G) Can tracks (drums, synths, bass etc) be transferred from one Performance into another (e.g. Synth track from
Performance 749 to synth track of Performance 345)?
H) Can sounds/patches be transferred from one Performance into another?

Are these things possible with the MODX?

Thank you.
User avatar Germany
redglass

Re: A Few Questions Before (Impulse) Buying

Unread post by redglass » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:28 pm

Hi,

not an easy one but I'll give it a try. As you already mentioned, MODX lacks a sequencer like in the Motif series. It comes with a Cubase LE version that takes over the sequencer funtions. Instal it on a laptop plus the MODX midi-driver and connect the laptop via USB to the MODX. The transport buttons of the MODX are not ready yet to start stop Cubase. A lot MODX users hope that a firmware upgrade will support DAW control. We will see.

So, I would do A) - G) with Cubase LE.

Answer to question H): Yes. You can load up to 8 performances into one performance and play them on the MODX. Midi-channels 1-8 are playable on the MODX. Midi-channles 9-16 are for multitrack-purpose with a DAW.

Hope this helps a little.

Best, Bastian
ZT Scheer

Unread post by ZT Scheer » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:53 pm

I would add that everything you want to do is possible with an iPad (or even an iPhone, if you can abide the tiny screen) and apps like Cubasis or Korg Gadget2.
cundallini

Unread post by cundallini » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:30 pm

redglass wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:28 pm

Answer to question H): Yes. You can load up to 8 performances into one performance and play them on the MODX. Midi-channels 1-8 are playable on the MODX. Midi-channles 9-16 are for multitrack-purpose with a DAW.
Ok. A) - G) is what I thought. But, to make it crystal clear. You connect MODX to a 'puter, fire up Cubase LE, load a Performance on MODX, record all the MIDI data from the MODX into Cubase LE and there you can re-arrange MIDI data (drum patterns etc). After you're done with re-arranging MIDI data (notes, ADSR parameters etc), you can then transfer it back to MODX and save it as a User Performance. Did I get this right? Is it a simple/quick process or is it finicky/time consuming?

On the note of H), just to be clear. I can load a Performance 463 on MODX. Let's say it consists of 8 parts. I like the sounds in parts 2,5,7 and 8. I can then select those sounds from those parts of Performance 463, copy and put them in place of parts 1,3,6 and 7 of e.g. Performance 293? R-right?

If I got this right, then we just might go and buy a MODX. Too bad there's no sampler, but then again Montage also does not have a sampler, right?

Anyways, thank you.
Cheers.
User avatar Germany
redglass

Unread post by redglass » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:51 am

cundallini wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:30 pm
redglass wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:28 pm

Ok. A) - G) is what I thought. But, to make it crystal clear. You connect MODX to a 'puter, fire up Cubase LE, load a Performance on MODX, record all the MIDI data from the MODX into Cubase LE and there you can re-arrange MIDI data (drum patterns etc). After you're done with re-arranging MIDI data (notes, ADSR parameters etc), you can then transfer it back to MODX and save it as a User Performance. Did I get this right? Is it a simple/quick process or is it finicky/time consuming?

On the note of H), just to be clear. I can load a Performance 463 on MODX. Let's say it consists of 8 parts. I like the sounds in parts 2,5,7 and 8. I can then select those sounds from those parts of Performance 463, copy and put them in place of parts 1,3,6 and 7 of e.g. Performance 293? R-right?

If I got this right, then we just might go and buy a MODX. Too bad there's no sampler, but then again Montage also does not have a sampler, right?

Anyways, thank you.
Cheers.
Hi,

if you need a proper sequencer in the keyboard, I would g for a used Motif XF. MODX & Laptop would be the other opportunity, yes.
Swapping performances: Just load every desired single performances in every performance you want. A single performance needs only one midi channel.

Good luck!

Bastian

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”