Rock / Metal Guitars

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Canada
vertig0spin

Rock / Metal Guitars

Unread post by vertig0spin » Thu May 02, 2019 5:46 pm

Any recommendations on 'Preset' Performances with the best/closest sounding guitar sounds (distortion &/or overdrive) for 80's rock / metal, both for crunch chords, muted and solos? Even if you can recommend distortion/overdrive effects & settings that would be good for 80's rock / metal guitars that would be great...

I may do some covers of Def Leppard, Van Halen, Europe, Night Ranger, Warrant, Winger, Whitesnake, Dokken, etc.
User avatar Ukraine
Ivan Jochner

Re: Rock / Metal Guitars

Unread post by Ivan Jochner » Fri May 03, 2019 6:18 pm

Hi, the library is called " AXXE" guitars which is used on XF and XS i think can be converted to Modx as well.

Its pretty tough to get right sounding rythm rock guitar, they all sound plastic, for solo playing the situation is a bit easier.
I have sculpted Joe Satriani's guitar patch back in the days, i can send you that patch if its right for your ears.
(For now i am experimenting on sampling the best VST guitars for my Motif Xs)

Search "Crystal Planet" by Ivan Jochner on Youtube can not upload somehow the link.
User avatar Canada
vertig0spin

Unread post by vertig0spin » Fri May 24, 2019 1:49 pm

So I think I've found a decent distortion/overdrive effect/setting for 80's hair band crunch rhythm; however I've noticed that no matter what 'clean electric guitar' waveform/elements I use, nor what distortion/overdrive effect/settings I set, when hitting simple 3 note rock/bar chords (i.e. C2-G2-C3) it is not always smooth and there are varying waves that can be heard, almost like the strings are not perfectly in tune. So I tried various clean electric guitars without any distortion and I can hear the same thing with varying waves, but sometimes none at all (but to a lesser degree, as distortion amplifies the issue).
Is there an EQ, compression or something I need to apply as an effect first to avoid this issue? Is it maybe because the clean electric guitar samples were not sampled directly from a guitar 1/4" output, but instead from mic'ing the amp..!? If this might be the issue, whereby the waveform sound samples are from an already mic'd amp, that we are then applying distortion affects & possibly amplification to an already mic'd amp sound, thereby causing random waves in guitar chords?
If yes, then it begs the question, are there any guitar elements/waveforms on the Montage/MODX that were sampled directly from the guitar's 1/4" output jack, as opposed to from a mic'd amp?
User avatar United States of America
GregC

Unread post by GregC » Fri May 24, 2019 3:57 pm

Hi everyone, new here. Very interested in MODX.

Guitars are a priority. MODX guitars are very good/excellent. Distortion guitars I am not sure about.

I don't hear the classic "Claptonesque ' or anything approaching the classic Hendrix tone.
I realize performance is 80% [or more] of duplicating classic guitar tones.

Following this topic to get a better understanding of how Yamaha has implemented
distortion.
User avatar Canada
vertig0spin

Unread post by vertig0spin » Fri May 24, 2019 4:31 pm

GregC wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 3:57 pm
Guitars are a priority. MODX guitars are very good/excellent. Distortion guitars I am not sure about.

Following this topic to get a better understanding of how Yamaha has implemented
distortion.
Welcome to the forum!

I think the MODX & Montage both have excellent distortions & overdrive effects. I think the issue for me is with the source sample waveforms. They are high quality samples of clean electric guitars; however they appear to be sampled from a great quality amplifier (either directly out of the amp or through a high quality mic), when what I think that I need is something sampled directly from the 1/4" output of the guitar itself..!?
User avatar United States of America
GregC

Unread post by GregC » Fri May 24, 2019 5:01 pm

vertig0spin wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 4:31 pm
GregC wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 3:57 pm

distortion.
Welcome to the forum!

I think the MODX & Montage both have excellent distortions & overdrive effects. I think the issue for me is with the source sample waveforms. They are high quality samples of clean electric guitars; however they appear to be sampled from a great quality amplifier (either directly out of the amp or through a high quality mic), when what I think that I need is something sampled directly from the 1/4" output of the guitar itself..!?
good to see you here ! I think your theory is sound.

Whats needed is a variety of amp based models plus FX added to a ' classic guitar tone'. I am not sure I hear a Strat or Gibson SG
with some basic amp model crunch .

There are a few ways to get interesting distortion- but I think the best is a ' building block' approach.

I guess with guitar amps , they have to mic it. Older guitar amps did not have a digital or analog line out, of course.

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”