Midi arpeggios

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Italy
dfinucci

Midi arpeggios

Unread post by dfinucci » Tue May 28, 2019 7:36 pm

Hi all.
Is it possible to have a midi dump of a midi arpeggio ?
BTW without investigating midi messages between MODX and computer...
I've tried to inspect John Melas software on the matter, but it seems not to be enough.
Any help would be very appreciated :-)
Sincerely
D
User avatar United States of America
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Midi arpeggios

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Tue May 28, 2019 9:59 pm

I'm not sure about the MODX. On the PSR-E models that I'm most familiar with, the arpeggios are generated by the keyboard's internal programming and are not "MIDI data" per se. But you can record the keyboard's MIDI output while an arpeggio is playing and capture the Note events which are generated by the arpeggio in that way.

However, this just captures the notes as they were played by the arpeggio, so it would still be up to you to figure out what the actual arpeggio pattern was, based on which notes you know you were holding down (such as C-E-G) and which Note events were consequently generated by the arpeggio.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Wed May 29, 2019 12:31 am

Not wishing to divert this thread but . . . .

I had a similar requirement myself recently with NI Session Strings Pro . . .

It's a VSTi which can generate arpeggios in accordance to a triad you hold down . . .

ARPs can be upwards, downwards or up and down.

The KIND of Arp you want is selected by placing "Trigger" midi notes (down at C0 - B0) in the piano roll,

at the point where you want the Arp to play.

The Chord that defines the ARP is much higher up the midi scale - and will sound as a chord if

clicked-and-held. The trigger notes do NOT sound . . . . .

I wanted to get at the midi of the ARPs generated - to edit them in the Piano roll . . . .

Attempting to record the MIDI OUTPUT of the track to ANOTHER track produced NOTHING . . .

So - the ARP is internal to the VSTi and is output as AUDIO . . . . :(

I'm not saying the MODX works this way, so I just mention it for information . . . . :wink:

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
User avatar United States of America
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Wed May 29, 2019 12:44 am

That's an interesting point. I would hope that the MODX outputs MIDI Note events for its arpeggios, especially since MODX owners might want to record the MIDI output in a DAW, and failure to output the Note events generated by the arpeggios wouldn't be very user-friendly in that situation.

As for virtual instruments, I suppose that most of them generate audio anyway, and only respond to MIDI input-- although there are plug-ins that can produce MIDI output which can be fed into other plug-ins, such as a MIDI effects plug-in or an arpeggiator plug-in (which I guess is just a type of MIDI effects plug-in).
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Wed May 29, 2019 1:13 am

Yeah, I'd agree SGG . . . .
I DID actually pose the question in the Reaper Forum - and I probably explain it better there:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=216252

As Musicians, we kinda like to DO anything - TO anything, where OUR creations are concerned . . . . .

I would hope that you would just need to record THAT track (as MIDI) to a DAW - and all the notes would

be there . . .

UNLESS, Yamaha consider that the arps are part of the AutoAccompaniment feature and therefore

"proprietary" and so unavailable to copy . . . ?

just a thought . . ?

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”