Recording MODX into Wavepad

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Great Britain
mitya

Recording MODX into Wavepad

Unread post by mitya » Wed May 29, 2019 1:13 pm

Hey guys

I'm sure this is super basic for someone but for some reason I'm struggling.

I'm trying to record the MODX (audio) into Wavepad. I connected the MODX to my laptop via the USB Host socket and Windows duly acknowledged MODX.

However, in Wavepad > Options > Recording, MODX doesn't appear.

I found this mammoth and not overly friendly Yamaha article on the subject, which just confused me further. I went into Utility > Quick set up and hit "Audio rec on daw", but that just brings up the settings of that template such that I can then tweak and overwrite them, it doesn't appear to actually "do" anything in itself.

Seems really basic; what am I doing wrong?

Thanks
User avatar Italy
dfinucci

Re: Recording MODX into Wavepad

Unread post by dfinucci » Wed May 29, 2019 2:05 pm

Hello. I don't know Wavepad, but have you correctly setp up your MODX in order to have audio data sent on USB ?
Parameter "USB TO HOST". I'm quite sure it can be set on a "per part" basis, don't know if there is a global setting.

Otherwise, being Wavepad an audio editor, you may connect "MAIN L+R" (or even the headphone's output) to the sound card input of your computer. Not an elegant solution, but ...

Hope this helps
Sincerely
D
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed May 29, 2019 2:37 pm

mitya have you installed the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver?

Although the MODX is "USB Compliant" that only pertains the the MIDI part. To record Audio you also need to install the driver or it won't work.

Next:
Press [UTILITY]
Touch "Settings" > "Quick Setup"
Touch the option "Audio Rec on DAW":

This routes the audio through the USB rather than through the L/R outputs.

Remember to change it back when you no longer need to record into the DAW via USB.

If you have the drive installed and the "Audio Rec" settings as above you should then be able to see the MODX as your audio input in Wavepad.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
mitya

Unread post by mitya » Wed May 29, 2019 7:16 pm

Thanks for the help, guys.
Otherwise, being Wavepad an audio editor, you may connect "MAIN L+R" (or even the headphone's output) to the sound card input of your computer. Not an elegant solution, but ...
Unfortunately my laptop doesn't have a line-in, only a headphone jack. So USB audio is my only option unless I buy an external soundcard (which I probably will.)
mitya have you installed the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver?
I haven't; is that on the MODX itself or on the laptop? All I've done to the MODX is update the firmware.

I would have inferred from the name that it's just for use with Cubase, but from what you say it's necessary to record audio out to any program, not just Cubase.

Continued thanks.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed May 29, 2019 7:23 pm

Yeah you need to install it on the laptop and yes it is needed for recording all audio via USB into a DAW...thats any DAW not just Cubase.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
mitya

Unread post by mitya » Wed May 29, 2019 8:57 pm

Thanks, not sure I'd have ever guessed that. Just assumed audio output to PC was as basic as it got!
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed May 29, 2019 9:05 pm

mitya wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 8:57 pm
Thanks, not sure I'd have ever guessed that. Just assumed audio output to PC was as basic as it got!
Well it kind of is depending on which route you take :)

Recording audio via the L/R analogue outputs is more straightforward as that is the default on the MODX. Of course you then need an audio interface going into your computer, which itself may or may not need drivers but you would not need to make any adjustments on the MODX end of things.

Recording audio over USB needs a driver because there are too many variables involved to make it "plug and go". There are thousands of permutations of motherboard and and built in sound hardware plus OS to make a one size fits all solution. I am sure it will come, we just don't have it at the moment.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

mitya

Unread post by mitya » Wed May 29, 2019 9:40 pm

Thanks, Saul, appreciated. When you say L/R outs would record more easily, how does that traditionally go into the PC - via a 3.5 line-in, or is there USB variant of that, ie analogue L/R out from MODX to USB? Apologies if I'm confusing matters - still new to the connectivity side of things here.
User avatar United States of America
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Wed May 29, 2019 11:41 pm

Wavepad! Do you mean NCH Wavepad? I haven't seen it mentioned much, but I like it a lot, although I don't use it as much these days as I did back years ago when I first discovered it. I particularly like its frequency analysis window, which I prefer to similar plug-in programs.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
mitya

Unread post by mitya » Thu May 30, 2019 11:12 am

Yeah that's the one. Just seems pretty friendly for a noob like me.
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Thu May 30, 2019 5:20 pm

One thing-- WavePad isn't designed for multi-track recording, just for recording and editing mono or stereo tracks.

NCH makes another program called MixPad that's for multi-track recording and mixing, although I've never used it.
Michael Rideout
mitya

Unread post by mitya » Thu May 30, 2019 5:51 pm

Thanks SeaGtGruff. I wasn't intending to do multi-track into Wavepad - I was just using it as a test program to see whether I could get audio from the MODX into my PC. I'll check out MixPad.
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Thu May 30, 2019 6:34 pm

An actual DAW should give you even more options.

You're using Windows, right? My favorite DAW for Windows is Acoustica Mixcraft-- not because I think it's the best, but because I really like how easy it is to use. It isn't free, but it's inexpensive compared to most other commercial DAWs-- and it happens to be on sale right now:

acoustica.com/mixcraft

If you've got a Yamaha keyboard and want a DAW that has a built-in understanding of Yamaha SysEx and XG messages, you really can't get much better than Steinberg Cubase. The full edition is expensive and requires a security dongle (which is included with a new purchase of the full edition), but the inexpensive Cubase Elements edition doesn't require a physical dongle if you use the e-licenser:

new.steinberg.net/cubase

If you want a full-featured DAW that's free, a couple of additional options are Cakewalk by BandLab, and Tracktion T7:

bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

tracktion.com/products/t7-daw
Michael Rideout
mitya

Unread post by mitya » Thu May 30, 2019 6:56 pm

Thanks, I'll be sure to check out those programs. Yes re: Windows. Not sure if you know, but MODX comes with something called Cubase AI. I've not booted that up yet, but it's possible that will suffice also.
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Thu May 30, 2019 7:20 pm

Yes, Cubase AI is a "free" and (I think) somewhat liter edition of Cubase Elements. There's also a "free" edition called Cubase LE.

I'm saying "free" with quotes because these editions aren't "actually free" in the sense that anyone can just go to Steinberg's website and download, install, and run them for free, as is possible with other "actually free" editions of DAWs such as PreSonus Studio One Prime, Tracktion T7, and so on. Rather, you can get a "complimentary" license for Cubase AI or Cubase LE when you purchase certain audio or MIDI products. If you didn't purchase a product that comes with a complimentary license, you must actually purchase Cubase Elements.

I think "AI" stands for "Audio Interface," and "LE" might stand for "Lite Edition," or something like that. The user manual for Cubase Elements actually lists all three editions on its cover-- Cubase AI, Cubase LE, and Cubase Elements.

It's common for the different editions of a commercial DAW to have differences in such things as the maximum number of audio or MIDI devices that can be used, the maximum number of audio or MIDI tracks that can be used, the specific set of features which are enabled or disabled, and so on. I'm not sure what differences there might be between Cubase AI, Cubase LE, and Cubase Elements, but I believe that Cubase Elements is slightly more "robust" than either Cubase AI or Cubase LE.
Michael Rideout

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”