Total MODX Units sold since last October ?

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
GregC

Total MODX Units sold since last October ?

Unread post by GregC » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:35 pm

Any estimates ? The questions is how many MODX's sold, world wide, Oct 1 thru June 1. About 8 months

Just 1 number. I would think a Yamaha employee would know.

Any guesses ?
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Total MODX Units sold since last October ?

Unread post by Saul » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:07 pm

Hi Greg. The MODX is currently the biggest selling synth in the world but of course that doesn't tell you anything about numbers.

I know from experience that Yamaha won't publicly release the numbers and I can't tell you because of an NDA.

Was there a particular reason you wanted to know or was it just curiosity?
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
GregC

Unread post by GregC » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:29 am

Saul wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:07 pm
Hi Greg. The MODX is currently the biggest selling synth in the world but of course that doesn't tell you anything about numbers.

I know from experience that Yamaha won't publicly release the numbers and I can't tell you because of an NDA.

Was there a particular reason you wanted to know or was it just curiosity?
Yes, because I am a numbers kind of person :)
I am not a competitor spy, etc. Just another regular guy that writes songs.

#'s is how sales success is ultimately determined- in business anyway

I appreciate that you know and understand NDA's are a standard thing , used by almost all
co's that feel they are better off being secretive.

Without a doubt, I would guess MODX is the best selling synth, at least since Oct 1st.

Thank you for sharing what you could.
User avatar Great Britain
dcjams

Unread post by dcjams » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:51 pm

I’m always curious about such things

Manufacturers tend not to share sales data because it could help competitors to be, well, more competitive!

If Roland knew the MODX sold well to one group but not another they could target them gaining an advantage over Yamaha. That advantage could compromise Yamaha’s entire synth division altogether if high sales of the MODX are supporting low sales of another.

You get the picture.
Sweden
Macke

Unread post by Macke » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:46 pm

Without any inside information on the sales side my local music store had issues aquiring MODX recently (april-may) supposedly because of high demand. I had to wait for over a month before receiving a MODX7 after placing the order.
Only upside was that the price dropped ~€60 during that period so I saved some money while waiting.
GregC

Unread post by GregC » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:36 pm

It might vary by country. And dealer.

US, for example, is a large marketplace. Thus an applicable amount of inventory goes to that US distributor.

And certain stores might get a break on ' allocation'

I worked for Sony for 9 years. Above is standard stuff. No corporate secrets disclosed.
User avatar Great Britain
dcjams

Unread post by dcjams » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:35 am

Saul wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:07 pm
Not true!

If you could get the sales figures for the second best selling synth in the world then you'd know the MODX has sold at least one more than that! :D
Fleer

Unread post by Fleer » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:14 am

If it’s the best selling synth, here’s hoping they’ll update the action and keybed.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:16 pm

Well as you guys know, for something to be a "best seller" does not of course mean it has the best of everything on/in it. With MODX it comes down to price vs performance with a few compromises thrown in and much like the MOXF before it, MODX just has the right balance of features for the right price and all coming together at the right time.

Could it have a better set of keys on it? Certainly but then it would also bump the price up to a point where all those people who have made it a "best seller" would not have been able to afford it. It's those compromises that need to always be made in this sector of the market and I think on the whole Yamaha got it right.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
GregC

Unread post by GregC » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:33 pm

Saul wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:16 pm

Could it have a better set of keys on it? Certainly but then it would also bump the price up to a point where all those people who have made it a "best seller" would not have been able to afford it. It's those compromises that need to always be made in this sector of the market and I think on the whole Yamaha got it right.
yes, thats classic capitalism. Hold onto the profit margin.

It can be viewed differently. Yamaha can easily afford to update the action and hold the price steady.

IOW, Yamaha can afford to make less profit and have happier owners.

And , when I ran my own business, it was always better to have happier customers over the long term.

Its long term thinking vs todays short term business thinking.
User avatar Canada
vertig0spin

Unread post by vertig0spin » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:30 pm

GregC wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:33 pm
It can be viewed differently. Yamaha can easily afford to update the action and hold the price steady.
I agree! The people at Yamaha that make the big decisions on this stuff, are the higher up's in the board room, whom I would guess have never had & played a synth before. I think much of the time they only see what looks good on paper, not what things are like in the real world. Unless of course they start to see sales/shares start to decline, and then they react to the situation...

Just image what kind of Synthesizer could be on the market if a large non-profit company specialized in building the greatest synth/workstation ever, employing the top engineers & programmers from Yamaha, Korg, Roland, Nord, etc (paying them double what they make now), combining all the best ideas of Synthesizers & VSTs, making them all run off one keyboard with flawless compatibility, and listening to keyboard players'/musicians' ideas of what they want to see in this new keyboard, sparing no expense or features/functionality! :wink:
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:00 pm

On the contrary. It may surprise you to know that a lot of the people who make these decisions are long time keyboard players. I know because I have met many of them. It may also be something of a surprise to know that despite Yamaha's size they are not the most profitable musical instrument makers in the market. Perhaps spreading themselves a little too thin I think.

It is not all about pure profit. Without making a decent margin they cannot invest in research and development and that affects all of us who are interested in seeing current lines supported and future ones created.

Of course WE feel manipulated and that we are often getting a raw deal but without all the facts perhaps we are sometimes being a little unfair on the businesses that provide us with all this wonderful gear?
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

User avatar Canada
vertig0spin

Unread post by vertig0spin » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:33 pm

Saul wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:00 pm
On the contrary. It may surprise you to know that a lot of the people who make these decisions are long time keyboard players. I know because I have met many of them. It may also be something of a surprise to know that despite Yamaha's size they are not the most profitable musical instrument makers in the market. Perhaps spreading themselves a little too thin I think.
Wow! :o That does come as a surprise...
User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Derek » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:02 pm

Obviously we are all entitled to our opinions, but the success of the MODX suggests that Yamaha got their decisions right for the majority of buyers,

And, of course, if you don’t like the key action you have the classic capitalist consumer choice of going with another provider who has a better keyboard action at a better price point. Nobody is forcing you to buy a MODX if you do not like its quality.

If Yamaha got it wrong, the MODX would have bombed - like the FS1r and other products. You get some things right and hit the sweet spot (MODX) you get some things horribly wrong (an 8 operator formant synth with a more tortuous user interface than a DX7 that few people wanted - but is now a rare and sought after classic).

A lot of the MODX design choices will have been made to “design to a price”. The fact that they can base the core architecture of the MODX on the Montage is very good news for MODX owners who benefit from a mature OS and plenty of sounds and features (albeit less than Montage). And to be fair to Yamaha, we can only guess at the margin they make, unless you have inside knowledge?

There also needs to be a differentiator between the MODX and the Montage, so you are not going to get a Montage quality keybed on the MODX (and it would blow the price).
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
GregC

Unread post by GregC » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:21 pm

vertig0spin wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:30 pm
GregC wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:33 pm
I agree! The people at Yamaha that make the big decisions on this stuff, are the higher up's in the board room, whom I would guess have never had & played a synth before. I think much of the time they only see what looks good on paper, not what things are like in the real world. Unless of course they start to see sales/shares start to decline, and then they react to the situation...

Just image what kind of Synthesizer could be on the market if a large non-profit company specialized in building the greatest synth/workstation ever, employing the top engineers & programmers from Yamaha, Korg, Roland, Nord, etc (paying them double what they make now), combining all the best ideas of Synthesizers & VSTs, making them all run off one keyboard with flawless compatibility, and listening to keyboard players'/musicians' ideas of what they want to see in this new keyboard, sparing no expense or features/functionality! :wink:
I agree with you, brother. I mentioned this a few times on our Kronos forum- I worked for a big name consumer electronics co { Sony} for 9 years. Keyboards are also purchased by consumers and these large electronic mfgr's have similar operating styles.

These co's are intense on quarterly and annual peformance- thats how management is evaluated and compensated. Both cos are very tight on their measurements, cost details, and actual production. Risk adverse.

Private co's don't have to answer to demanding stock holders every quarter. Thus they can be more flexible- often they ' bet the co ' on a new product. As long as they have the funds, they are likely to take more product chances.

Pm me on the Kronos forum and we can have more fun with this :D

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”