MODX and Roli Seaboard

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Italy
dfinucci

MODX and Roli Seaboard

Unread post by dfinucci » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:43 am

Good morning, Sirs.
Anyone out there has used Roli Seaboard with Modx ?
Eventually any advice on configuring and opinions about enhanced possibilities ?
Do you think it's effectively a good solution, having in mind that is not very cheap
Roli1.JPG
Roli1.JPG (20.82 KiB) Viewed 362 times
?
Many thanks in advance
D
User avatar United States of America
GregC

Re: MODX and Roli Seaboard

Unread post by GregC » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:06 pm

I am very interested in ROLI for improved expressiveness with acoustic instrument Programs on our keyboards.

Most of the ROLI demos rely on the ROLI software. I am not clear if that level of articulation etc would automatically occur in our MODX's, Kronos , etc
puremusic

Unread post by puremusic » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:07 pm

I don't have a MODX but I can tell you a bit about the Seaboards. The Seaboard works like this:

Strike a Keywave: Note On / Velocity, like a piano but softer.
Pressure on a Keywave after you strike it: Aftertouch, Channel or Poly your choice.
Glide: Horizontal Movement after you touch a keywave is Pitch Bend. You can do this across keywaves or across the flat bottom or top like a ribbon.
Slide: Vertical Movement is CC 74, or you can remap it to any other CC.
Lift: Note Off Release Velocity. Not very useful except for specialized sound design.

As I said you can remap the Slide CC to any other CC you choose. Currently the others are all fixed unless you have some sort of middleware to reinterpret it. Hopefully this will change but no guarantees.

You can now imagine how you might control a synth with these, considering how it would respond. You just missed the 20% off sale on Seaboards ROLI was having, but they do a discount like that regularly. Used they go for a lot less too.
Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia CS80 - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra
GregC

Unread post by GregC » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:27 am

Thanks, I appreciate the ROLI info.

Its on my shopping list for later this year. Once in awhile a ROLI item shows on my local craigslist.
So I am inclined to go used for it.
User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Derek » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:23 am

Yes, I might also get one later in the year out of curiosity!
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
User avatar Italy
dfinucci

Unread post by dfinucci » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:39 am

Hi, puremusic, thank you very much.
May i ask you if the Roli can be directly connected to a synth (via Midi cable, i suppose) or it needs a computer anyway?
Sincerely
D
puremusic

Unread post by puremusic » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:47 pm

It doesn't have a standard MIDI connection, only USB and bluetooth.

If you get it used, I'd recommend trying to get the software included too, I don't think transfers should be hard at all. The strong point of the Seaboards are the included MPE software synths, Equator and now full version Strobe2, there's also Cypher which isn't included but cheaper to buy if you have Seaboard. Otherwise there's not much out there available software wise for MPE.

Of course it works just fine in non-MPE mode for additional expressive control, and I mostly use it that way as setting up non-MPE instruments to work with MPE takes a bit of work. You also need an MPE compatible DAW if you want to have an easier time setting up MPE control. MPE is what enables per note expression control, rather than per instrument.

You might also consider Touchkeys instead of a Seaboard, although it's out of stock at the moment, if enough people request it there's hope for another production run, and then you get to keep a standard piano action keyboard with x/y control per key, and z if the keyboard has aftertouch.

I love how Touchkeys helps free up my left hand from modwheel/fader control. And a Seaboard can do that too.

The Blocks have smaller keys than the Rises, and the Grand has the largest keys but no y axis expression control. Out of production too.
Kontakt - Arturia CS80 - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra
GregC

Unread post by GregC » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:57 pm

took a brief look at TouchKeys [ a non ROLI product]

It seems to be focused on synth expression. I have that covered

More interested in articulation and expression with acoustic instruments, guitar, trumpet, sax, flute, strings etc
puremusic

Unread post by puremusic » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:05 pm

ROLI just announced they'll have a Kickstarter for a new instrument on the 18th. No pictures or full reveals as to what it actually is, so far just hints that it is colorful and is a keyboard useful for music learning.

So the ROLI version of the Yamaha EZ and NI Kontrol? Some sort of keyboard with lighted keys.

I remember emailing the creator of Synthesia asking if he would ever update it to feature control of NI's Komplete Kontrol's key lights, if I recall correctly, this was awhile ago, I was told that programming control of Kontrol lights is a closed system so to integrate with it you need to have NI give you access to how to do so, only possible if they wanted to open it up that way, so far they hadn't. Don't know if that's changed.

Looks like ROLI might be getting the jump on lighted keys and piano learning.
Normhart

Unread post by Normhart » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:31 pm

I bought a Seaboard block recently and have it sitting right on the blank area on my MODX 8. I haven’t hooked it up to control the MODX yet but I do use it with the Equator and Noise apps which work very well. I saw a video recently where both MODX and Seaboard where connected via a computer running Cubase 10. I haven’t tried this as yet but when I get around to getting Cubase, I’ll be looking into this connection.
2986F141-D474-4054-A382-FCCD08DA1A67.jpeg
9AB028B6-8B81-4DEC-8A02-6DFEA28DA420.jpeg
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:11 pm

Would be really useful if manufacturers would get into the 21st century and add wireless audio into their products. You could then easily connect your keyboards without needing to go through a computer or have cables running everywhere. And I am not talking about audio over wireless here. Purely data. There is no latency these days and I speak from experience so don't bring up latency as a reason why they don't do it.

Just really annoys me that we are so far behind in terms of tech in the music industry and in particular when talking about keyboards.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
GregC

Unread post by GregC » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:22 pm

Saul wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:11 pm
Would be really useful if manufacturers would get into the 21st century and add wireless audio into their products. You could then easily connect your keyboards without needing to go through a computer or have cables running everywhere. And I am not talking about audio over wireless here. Purely data. There is no latency these days and I speak from experience so don't bring up latency as a reason why they don't do it.

Just really annoys me that we are so far behind in terms of tech in the music industry and in particular when talking about keyboards.
yes, thats a good point. I think you are referring to BlueTooth [ ?}

I can Bluetooth large audio/WAV files [ 50 Meg} at 8 foot distance with no issue.

Maybe there is some kind of technical obstacle to overcome- such as BlueTooth range. I am guessing, don't
have answers
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:25 pm

Yes indeed bluetooth although I also have wireless midi using 2.4GHz and with a range of 80 meters.

Bluetooth is pretty good for up to approx 10 meters although if your devices are sitting next to each other so much the better.

Bluetooth is fine for transferring data such as files and midi but there IS a latency problem when trying to play audio. People tend not to notice it when streaming audio to a device but if you were to say, play a piano in real time and stream the audio output over bluetooth it would be pretty much unplayable. The latency would make itself very apparent.

However you CAN transmit midi in real time without any problems. And this is what I am getting at. If I want to use my keyboard as a controller for soft synths on the computer or perhaps to control another keyboard there is no reason why that should not already be possible on all current and future keyboards.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
GregC

Unread post by GregC » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:51 pm

Saul wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:25 pm
Yes indeed bluetooth although I also have wireless midi using 2.4GHz and with a range of 80 meters.

Bluetooth is pretty good for up to approx 10 meters although if your devices are sitting next to each other so much the better.

Bluetooth is fine for transferring data such as files and midi but there IS a latency problem when trying to play audio. People tend not to notice it when streaming audio to a device but if you were to say, play a piano in real time and stream the audio output over bluetooth it would be pretty much unplayable. The latency would make itself very apparent.

However you CAN transmit midi in real time without any problems. And this is what I am getting at. If I want to use my keyboard as a controller for soft synths on the computer or perhaps to control another keyboard there is no reason why that should not already be possible on all current and future keyboards.
Excellent info, Saul. Now it sinks in about BlueTooth. Just like you stated originally, we need wireless midi on all of our keyboards, devices etc.
Now I get it, interesting why our keyboard co's ( esp our W/s's, digital pianos etc] haven't presented this obvious feature.
IMO, its almost always about the money, the great motivator.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:31 pm

I would guess that the only reason we are not seeing it is purely to do with future product marketing. They "could" give us bluetooth midi right now but why give all the goodies away in one go? They drip feed feature updates in order to get us to keep buying new gear. Wireless midi is a big selling feature so they keep it back until sales start to falter and "something new" is needed.

That of course is just good business. They plan products years into the future and there is always a roadmap. Wireless midi is on it, we just haven't reach that part yet.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”