MIDI editor - realistic?

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Great Britain
mitya

MIDI editor - realistic?

Unread post by mitya » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:28 am

I know I've mentioned this in the wishlist thread but I wanted to ask why those more in the know thought were the chances of the MODX eventually ending up with a MIDI editor.

There isn't a day goes by I don't lament the lack of one. It really would be a crucial addition that takes it from "mostly a synth but can sort of work as a workstation" to "actually a synth and a workstation".

Doing percussion on the MODX without a MIDI editor sucks, and I hate having to resort to a computer. So, with this in mind:

- Is it reasonable to expect that Yamaha would ever add one with a firmware update?
- How about creating it as a third party? I read somewhere in the early days that the MODX OS is basically Linux so is definitely 'hack'able. Whether this is a good idea is another question, whether it would invalidate warranty etc.

What do you guys do to compenstate for this, just connect to a DAW, presumably, or an external step sequencer to feed in the MIDI?
User avatar Italy
dfinucci

Re: MIDI editor - realistic?

Unread post by dfinucci » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:11 pm

Hello. I think the free license for Cubase has been included in the MODX package just for sequencing (and more, i guess).
You need a computer, of course, and learning Cubase may be a bit hard, but ...
Sincerely
D
User avatar United States of America
puremusic

Unread post by puremusic » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:22 pm

I think Cubasis 2 is on sale in the app store for half off?
Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia CS80 - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra
mitya

Unread post by mitya » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:36 pm

Yeah I know there's Cubase AI bundled - I was talking about the prospects of an onboard MIDI editor/sequencer. Really is a tragic omission.
javelin276

Unread post by javelin276 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:04 pm

Well, another option if you want a workstation editor built into the keyboard is to take a step backwards. Take a look at the Motif XF. I don't really ever see the MODX getting an editor as a software upgrade. The MODX is supposed to be the lower-cost alternative to the Montage and doesn't likely have enough physical memory installed to host an editor.
mitya

Unread post by mitya » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:13 pm

Fair enough. However as a software developer I'd be surprised if the reason was to do with system resources. The resources needed to power the MODX's existing functionality would, I expect, likely dwarf those needed to power a simple MIDI editor which, in its simplest form, is just turning on or off blocks on a grid. That would be a HUGE help with drum parts.
ZT Scheer

Unread post by ZT Scheer » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:30 pm

mitya wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:36 pm
Yeah I know there's Cubase AI bundled - I was talking about the prospects of an onboard MIDI editor/sequencer. Really is a tragic omission.
I've gone back-n-forth, round-n-round on this one myself. The Korg Kronos and Krome have really great onboard sequencers, as does the Roland FA series. I have a strong affinity for the FA sequencer myself, since it's essentially just a built-in, upgraded version of the MC-series MIDI sequencers ... and that's where I cut my teeth for hardware sequencing. I've often wished they would just reissue a version of those, with SD support instead of floppies! Same goes for Korg ... I'd almost buy a Krome just for the sequencer, and I am on the fence about getting an M3 module for just that purpose alone.

Even so, I have to say that Cubasis is vastly more powerful and intuitive. Korg Gadget is immensely powerful now that it has the "Taipei" gadget, made to control external hardware. Both of these work "seamlessly" with nothing but a single cable from an iPad to the MODX. Set it on the "blank space" on the right side of the MODX, and you'll soon forget it's not built-in.

And to be honest, having a LOT of experience with almost every sequencer Yamaha has made (starting with a proptype of the QX1), I don't think they've done a very good job in this department, They've always been powerful, but unwieldy to the point of being anti-intuitive. I think maybe they finally realized that this is not one of their "core strengths"
mitya

Unread post by mitya » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:35 am

Thanks @ZT Scheer.

OK fair play, much as I would love an onboard sequencer perhaps I have to resign myself to an external one, with the added bonus of it being more capable, as you say.

Because I bought the MODX principally to get away from screens, I'm yet to connect to Cubase AI (or any DAW). You imply the process is simple; to that end, does it mean I can edit MIDI files (e.g. an ARP) via AI's MIDI editor without the laborious need to export the MIDI file from the MODX into the computer, edit it on there, then export it back out from the computer into the MODX? I guess I'm describing a sort of live edit? Forgive the terminology - as I say, this area is new to me.

Thanks.
ZT Scheer

Unread post by ZT Scheer » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:02 pm

mitya wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:35 am
Thanks @ZT Scheer.
... I'm yet to connect to Cubase AI (or any DAW). You imply the process is simple; to that end, does it mean I can edit MIDI files (e.g. an ARP) via AI's MIDI editor without the laborious need to export the MIDI file from the MODX into the computer, edit it on there, then export it back out from the computer into the MODX? I guess I'm describing a sort of live edit? Forgive the terminology - as I say, this area is new to me. ...
Let me clarify first ... I don't use Cubase. I made the decision to go 100% iPad a couple of months ago, so I use only Cubasis and Korg's Gadget. The latter has only come into serious use following the recent addition of support for controlling external MIDI hardware via there "Taipei" gadget.

Exporting MIDI files from Cubasis or Gadget is pretty straight forward. I have not had cause to import any MIDI into the MODX so far. As such I would not be a qualified source of information for creating/editing arps on either application.

For my part, it's not necessary. I either use the tools within either app to generate the arp I need, or record the arp'd performance directly into the app. I understand how that's not applicable to everyone's work flow. I think of my iPad a "my sequencer for my rig" ... period ... so that simplifies things for me considerably.

It (iPad) is also the host for the only softsynths I use ... that's a bit of a limitation considering the apps which are not available (yet!) on iPad. Soooo ... no Arturia Suite or Native Instruments for me ... sigh. However, most of my rig is hardware, so it's a bit of a moot point. I still get a wide suite of softsynths on my iPad, and all of my bases are pretty much covered.
mitya

Unread post by mitya » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:06 pm

Thanks for the info. I can see how that works for your setup, if you're majoring on the ipad.

Me, I'm trying to get away from devices (certainly ipads) and do as much as possible on the MODX, as you may have gathered by my lamentation of there being no MIDI editor. Hence my principal interest is getting MIDI INTO the MODX, not out of it. I'd like to create intricate drum parts, which is impossible when you're playing them on keys rather than step, hence.
anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:41 pm

ZT Scheer wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:02 pm
Exporting MIDI files from Cubasis or Gadget is pretty straight forward.
What are you exporting them into? (Since it's not the MODX, about which you said, "I have not had cause to import any MIDI into the MODX so far.")
dcjams

Unread post by dcjams » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:05 pm

Have you considered getting a hardware sequencer?

Something like the Squarp Pyramid.
ZT Scheer

Unread post by ZT Scheer » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:54 pm

anotherscott wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:41 pm
ZT Scheer wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:02 pm
Exporting MIDI files from Cubasis or Gadget is pretty straight forward.
What are you exporting them into? (Since it's not the MODX, about which you said, "I have not had cause to import any MIDI into the MODX so far.")
Smart observation. I am really only noting that the MIDI Export process on Cubasis or Gadget is simple.

It's literally FILE-> EXPORT ->STANDARD MIDI FILE -> ... and then choose DropBox or iTunes. I've imported into a MIDI Editor on my laptop, and I have also imported into my Roland FA, which accepts MIDI files for the sequencer.

Not much fuss with any of the above. Having not imported into the MODX, I'll just admit my ignorance in that regard and offer no advice. I'd guess that it's not much more difficult than importing into the Roland FA, but I have no idea how that relates specifically to the OP's stated goal of editing arpegios.
User avatar Russia
Dima

Unread post by Dima » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:39 pm

ZT Scheer

There is a question. Is there a way to set the key range of every midi chanel that you're sending to IPad, I wanna my base stay only base, but other synth is playing in that range untill i edit this, and i don't know how to make it
anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:44 pm

Yes. Each MIDI channel you transmit on is associated with a Part, same as the internal sounds. Parts allow you to specify key ranges.

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”