Sustain pedal as rotary effect on off switch?

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Tolkien Geek
Location.: United States

Sustain pedal as rotary effect on off switch?

Unread post by Tolkien Geek »

Hello this is my first post. Just received my new modx7 about a week ago, so I'm new to the Yamaha world and trying to figure things out. But so far I'm very impressed with the sounds and the depth of the possibilities. I have a Kurzweil PC3K8, which I love dearly, but because of arthritis issues, I need a semi-weighted action. I am liking the action on the modx very much, especially after I learned how to change the velocity curve to "soft". It has made playing fun again.

Anyway, I want to say that this forum is a godsend! You all are incredible, I've learned a lot in a week. So thanks!

But I've spent a couple hours searching this forum and the internet in general and haven't found an answer to this question. Can I assign the sustain pedal to turn on and off the Leslie effect on organ performances? Or would it be easier to just get an FC5 switch and do it that way? Which would be fine. I prefer to kick it on and off with my foot. All the organ programs on my Kurzweil have it already "pre-wired" that way, so I'm used to doing it hands free.

Any insights will be much appreciated.

Cheers!

redglass

Re: Sustain pedal as rotary effect on off switch?

Unread post by redglass »

That's a funtion I really liked with my Nord Electro.

With MODX I use 3 different controllers for different performances with Organ included:

1. FC5 as assignable switch pedal for rotary
2. Modulation wheel for rotary
3. Super knob for rotary effect

So you have other opportunities compared to clavia keyboards ;-)

Best, Bastian

Tolkien Geek
Location.: United States

Unread post by Tolkien Geek »

Thanks for that redglass. I guess I was just wondering if there was any need to buy an FC5 if the sustain pedal would do what I needed. Apparently it's kind of a stumper! Lol!

martyjones6294

Unread post by martyjones6294 »

I believe that the sustain pedal will work as a momentary switch, assuming that you have the proper polarity. But it will not latch the function.

I have used the Roland FS-5L (the "L" is for latching) to toggle the rotary effect and it does a good job. It also has an indicator light so you can see visually if the effect is engaged. Reasonably cheap, too.