Is the MODX6 the right device for me?

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

StefanM
Location.: Germany

Is the MODX6 the right device for me?

Unread post by StefanM »

Hello,

Sorry if my English is not clear, I'm from Germany and just a free-time keyboarder!

My current devices are the Yamaha PSR-E443 and the classical DJX-II ;)
I'm thinking about to get a new device which I would like to use for two things primary.

1) Using it as a normal Synth to play melodies
I have a lot of instrumentar music on my smartphone to which I like to play melodies.
The smartphone must be connected via AUX to my keyboard and the I can simply switch voices.
With my PSR-E443 this works well, but the keyboard is a bit limited and there are lots of voices which I don't like
Important would be that I can have different sets of 2 till 4 voices (depending on the current instrumental song).
Alligning the sounds (EQ) and modifiying the while playing is also an interesting feature.
(I believe the MODX has this ability.)

2) Jamming around and quickly creating patterns
On my PSR-E443 and on my DJX-II I like it to pick some random drum rhythm (without ACPM)
and play basses with left hand and chords with my right hand.
Unfortunately, I can't loop that stuff (I would need an external device).
This is what I currently really miss most!

I read that the MODX has a performance mode where you can create own performances and different patterns.
What I really don't want to do is creating own drum rhythms, as some guys on YouTube show.
Does it have at least 10 different cool drum performances, which I can copy and modify?
(I would just remove the pre-defined melodical parts to have pure drum rhythms.)

From what I saw is the MODX doesn't have fill-ins (like the PSR-E443, when you switch from Main A to Main B),
but I can live without that feature, because it's just for jamming around.

I guess keyboards like Genos and PSR-SX900 can easily "beat" the MODX, but since I'm not really interested in classical ACPM playing
(left hand chords, right hand melody), I don't need like 300 different rhyhthms.
(Especially styles as Country, Ballad, Ballroom are non-intersting for me etc.)

Thank you for any help and best regards!

redglass

Re: Is the MODX6 the right device for me?

Unread post by redglass »

Looks like you are looking for a keyboard as hybrid between synth and entertainer keyboar like genos series.

In terms of sound, MODX is superior to Genos when it comes to FM Synthesis. There is a huge amount of opportunities to create and tweak FM sounds.

In terms of pattern sequencing you need to creat your patterns on your own and orgnize them.
But you can swap patterns with Ableton or Cubase made patterns and MODX by using the Yamaha Midi Connect software.
That might be an interesting workflow for you.

Good luck,

Bastian

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Unread post by Saul »

Hi Stefan, welcome to the forums :)

The MODX is definitely not an arranger keyboard like any of the PSR's or Genos. However it does have some features that can make song creation or even playing along to external music a lot easier.

AUDIO BEAT SYNC
ABS (Audio Beat Sync) which detects the beat of and external device like an electronic drum kit, drum machine or audio player plugged into the A/D input and synchronizes the MODX Arpeggiator, Motion Sequencer or Songs to the tempo of the external input. The MODX synthesizer “listens” to live music and plays in time.

ENVELOPE FOLLOWER
The Envelope Follower converts audio into a control source for control of virtually any synthesizer parameter. For example, a drum loop could drive effects parameters for a cool rhythm or a vocal recording could control multiple parameters for a “talking” synthesizer. The audio can even be a “live” source through the A/D input.

SIDECHAIN
Automatically control the dynamic behavior of one part from another. Sidechain is very popular in modern dance music where a pad or other sustain part is “keyed” to the kick drum. When the kick drum plays, it ducks down the sustained part creating a “pumping” rhythmic effect.

SSS (Seamless Sound Switching)
Seamless Sound Switching (SSS) lets you change performances seamlessly without any cut-off in envelope or effects. This is perfect for live performances where you end one song and start another without stopping.
* This function is only available for Performances that have a maximum of 4 parts.

And of course you have a massive 10,239 ARPS to play around with.

This video from Woody Piano Shack ably demonstrates how you can use arps. Here is jamming live on the MODX just using the arps.

And as for drums? No shortage of instant go! drum patterns on hand.

So as you can see the MODX is a very flexible and versatile keyboard. It can be very easy to use out of the box or you can delve deeper and do all sorts of things you could never do with a PSR/Genos.

If you haven't done so already this Yamaha MODX Essential Knowledge guide is well worth a look.
Saul
Site Admin
Thalia Capos

Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.

PotionSequencer

Unread post by PotionSequencer »

A performance can have up to 16 parts (drums, bass, piano, flute, guitar, etc). Scenes allow you to quickly change which of those parts are under "keyboard control", among other things. Or you can just turn keyboard control off for every part and select them individually if that works for you.
You can also split the keyboard into multiple sections for different parts. The MODX allows you to "seamlessly" switch from performances with 4 or less parts.

The MODX 2.0 operating system upgrade adds a pattern sequencer.
https://www.yamahasynth.com/synths/mast ... s-in-os-v3

The MODX has a "Rhythm Pattern" button specifically for adding a drum beat. Simply press it, choose the kit, then one of the 8 preset patterns (or press the Category/Sub-Category/Name group to do a category search through the many available patterns). The next time you start playing, the drum beat will start.

The MODX also comes with a license code for Cubase AI, which allows you to record via USB directly to your computer. Cubase has Groove Agent, which has a whole different set of drum beats that do include fills. The MODX 2.5 update adds DAW control (haven't tried it yet).

PotionSequencer

Unread post by PotionSequencer »

> Does it have at least 10 different cool drum performances, which I can copy and modify?

I'm not aware of a way to modify existing drum beats on the MODX, but you can do it with Cubase. Set "Arp Rec on DAW" on the MODX, then hit record in cubase, then start the beat on the MODX. Stop and Edit.

dfinucci

Unread post by dfinucci »

Hello.
Please have a look at "MOTIF XF prformances for MONTAGE" (it works for MODX too, of course).
https://it.yamaha.com/it/products/music ... loads.html

Good luck
D