"MODX" not an Option in Cubase VST Audio System

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

ItsJayFolks
Location.: United States

"MODX" not an Option in Cubase VST Audio System

Unread post by ItsJayFolks »

After using Reaper for years, I finally installed a demo of Cubase Elements and am floored by the integration with my MODX.

But, after watching some Youtube videos and reading setup instructions, I noticed that people have "MODX" listed as an ASIO driver under "VST Audio System", but I do not, I have been using "Steinberg USB ASIO". I loaded one of the MODX templates in Cubase and can hear everything, and the different parts are being sent to separate MIDI tracks, but am I missing something by not being able to choose that driver?

One issue I'm having is that if I have more than one MIDI track/part set to record at once, sometimes it will just play the sound on one part, e.g., I have a performance with piano on part 1, horns on part 2, I'm expecting what I play on the keyboard to play the same note to both parts, but what I'm getting is sometimes both, sometimes one or the other, and I'm not noticing any connection between results and velocity or anything like that, it seems to randomly choose which one to play it to. I'm pretty new to MIDI, so apologies if this is a silly question. Am I meant to just record from one part to one track at a time? I just loaded two tracks of an orchestral sample set and did not have that problem, so it seems isolated to the MODX onboard sound triggering through Cubase.

That's the only issue I've noticed so far. My MIDI In/Out is set to USB, my Quick Setup is MIDI Rec on DAW, I'm using Windows 10 and the MODX is showing up as my Output Device and PC audio like Youtube is playing through my headphones plugged in to the MODX so we're all good there.

Rabbit Tree Studio
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: SC, USA

Re: "MODX" not an Option in Cubase VST Audio System

Unread post by SeaGtGruff »

ItsJayFolks wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:04 pmBut, after watching some Youtube videos and reading setup instructions, I noticed that people have "MODX" listed as an ASIO driver under "VST Audio System", but I do not, I have been using "Steinberg USB ASIO".
"Steinberg USB Audio" is the correct driver.

I wonder if the other people have somehow renamed the driver on their computers or in Cubase so it's displayed as "MODX" for easier identification? Have you asked them about it? If they did do something like that, I'd hope they would at least make some brief comment about it in passing, so their viewers won't be too confused.

Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
ItsJayFolks
Location.: United States

Re: "MODX" not an Option in Cubase VST Audio System

Unread post by ItsJayFolks »

Thanks for the confirmation, you're right, if it confused me I'm sure other people watching those tutorials were similarly doubtful.