Unable to import and loop external samples in modx 7

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

rakslone
Location.: USA

Unable to import and loop external samples in modx 7

Unread post by rakslone »

Hello - can u pls help me with something on modx...I am new to modx and not any expert...my goal is to get a “tabla” sample and loop it like rhythm pattern as a performance part...how can I do that? I am able to add the sample waveform as a awm2 part, but cant loop it for the course of the song....any help is appreciated...thank you in advance!

Loopmasters Sale
RudyB
Location.: Netherlands

Re: Unable to import and loop external samples in modx 7

Unread post by RudyB »

I'm not 100% sure I understand what you try to accomplish, but my guess is adding an arpeggio to the part could help you out. I bet if you'd do a search on YouTube you'll be able to find some videos on how to create / add an arpeggio.

Always have fun.
rakslone

Thanks a lot Rudy, really appreciate. I think you are talking about a user arp? I tried that but I am not able to loop it for longer cycles...are there other arps stored in modx that I am missing?

RudyB

Unread post by RudyB »

Again not sure if I understand you correctly, but if you'd use an arp and in the Performance screen you'd tap the 'Arp' field of a Part, it'll color and say 'Arp On' and the arp will play for as long as you hold down a key. And if you'd tap that same field while you press the SHIFT button, the field will color and say 'Arp Hold On' and it'll play until infinity even if you let go the key.

Always have fun.
rakslone

Thanks a lot. Will this be true for user arps too? Which I created from a external .wav file and attached to a awm2 init part?

RudyB

Unread post by RudyB »

Only one way to find out ... give it a try.
If you have a wav file, you can create a Part with it that plays the sample tuned to the keys you play. There's a YouTube video how to create a Part from a recorded sound sample.
A Part can have an arpeggio.
It's something else if your wav file already IS the arpeggio ...

Always have fun.
Ivan Jochner

Unread post by Ivan Jochner »

Here will be all the answers.
https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/how-t ... reply-9301

(Setting wav played by arpeggio note has never worked for me, number of times i recorded a whole notes to hold a sample, arpeggio never ever starts with sample exactly right and messes with overdubbing).

If someone had success with arps and wavs let me know i am very interested in that too!!!

rakslone

Thanks Ivan. I read the link but its not helping my problem. I have a .wav loaded into an awm2 part in a performance. But on pressing a key, it plays, but doesnt hold or loop even if my “arp hold” is on. Any idea what I am missing?

Ivan Jochner

Unread post by Ivan Jochner »

The problem IS that you have to make initilized DRUM Performance and load samples in there. Following all steps "Bad Mister" explained in his tutorial.

(Another tut. from Joel
with English subtitles.

rakslone

Ivan - cant thank u enough. I did all these steps and I am able to bring in my sample to an init drum part, assign a drum key etc. When I press on that key, the sample plays fine. However, it doesn't sustain or loop. My sample is short, say 8 - 10 seconds. But I want that beat to play continuously as I play a song along. That’s what is not happening. The sample plays for 8 sec and stops, no matter if my arp is on or loop is on. It doesn't continue to run. Hope you understand the specific issue here,
Your steps have really helped me, I appreciate a lot.

Macke
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Sweden

VIP

Unread post by Macke »

rakslone wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:52 am Ivan - cant thank u enough. I did all these steps and I am able to bring in my sample to an init drum part, assign a drum key etc. When I press on that key, the sample plays fine. However, it doesn't sustain or loop. My sample is short, say 8 - 10 seconds. But I want that beat to play continuously as I play a song along. That’s what is not happening. The sample plays for 8 sec and stops, no matter if my arp is on or loop is on. It doesn't continue to run. Hope you understand the specific issue here,
Your steps have really helped me, I appreciate a lot.
Hi rakslone,

Does the imported wav file already contain a loop point?
From what I read so far it seem unlikely and this might be the missing piece for you to succeed.

Unfortunately the MODX (and MONTAGE) lack the ability to add loop points to samples so this need to be added before import.

I don't have a guide for you at the moment but if nobody else can help out shortly I might check for more details and post when not on mobile.

/M

rakslone

Thanks a lot Macke. Will try adding a loop pre import and see if that works. Any further help is definitely appreciated.

Macke
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

VIP

Unread post by Macke »

rakslone wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:12 pm Thanks a lot Macke. Will try adding a loop pre import and see if that works. Any further help is definitely appreciated.
hi,

If you are unsure how to add a loop point to the wave file, check below (remove spaces between dots):

www . wavosaur . com/tutorials/how-to-make-loop.php

The application was briefly mentioned in this thread: viewtopic.php?p=93965#p93965
This only apply for Windows though so if you are on Mac there might be some other tool with similar functionality available.

/M

rakslone

Hi Macke
I tried adding a loop point to my sample in garageband, and tried to export the sample in wav format to the disk. While its looping within GB, its not looping after export.
I checked the wavosaur, but its only for windows. I have Mac. Also I am not sure (unless I find somwthing similar for mac) that if even a file exported out of wavosaur will be able to retain its loop? I.e. continuously playing multiple times?

Thanks again.

Macke
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

VIP

Unread post by Macke »

rakslone wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:45 am Hi Macke
I tried adding a loop point to my sample in garageband, and tried to export the sample in wav format to the disk. While its looping within GB, its not looping after export.
I checked the wavosaur, but its only for windows. I have Mac. Also I am not sure (unless I find somwthing similar for mac) that if even a file exported out of wavosaur will be able to retain its loop? I.e. continuously playing multiple times?

Thanks again.
From what I've heard, loop points made in Wavosaur is saved inside the wave file and will work after import in MODX.

I've heard that Melas MONTAGE Waveform Editor also have the ability to create presistant loop point and is available for both Mac and Windows. It's not a free application though but quite useful. It's also compatible with MODX.

There is most likely other applications available for Mac which have the loop point feature.

If you don't mind sharing the wave sample some user might be able to help you add the loop point?

Let me know if you are not able/allowed to attach/upload it.