Is there a way (workaround) to store values of Assign knobs into Scenes?

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

GuyDenruyter

Is there a way (workaround) to store values of Assign knobs into Scenes?

Unread post by GuyDenruyter »

Hello,

Scenes are a great way to store different cutoff frequencies, reverb levels, attack times, ... to the same sound.

Storing the values of the Assign knobs into a scene is however not possible.

Is there a workaround? I am trying to do something with the superknob, but that also does not give the expected results.

Any ideas welcome!

vertig0spin

Re: Is there a way (workaround) to store values of Assign knobs into Scenes?

Unread post by vertig0spin »

The only thing I can think of is to set the AsgnKnobs to move to various settings via the SuperKnob and set the SuperKnob at different settings in different Scenes, thus the various AsgnKnobs should move as per the SuperKnob...

RudyB
Location.: Netherlands

Unread post by RudyB »

Indeed knob settings, or Quick Edit screen settings, are not stored in Scenes. Only the settings available on the Scenes screen are stored in a Scene, among them the Super Knob value.

Like vertig0spin said, the Super Knob can act as your workaround. The settings for the 8 knobs are stored via the Super Knob. Although this does not give you total freedom, it is a way to save 8 parameters for the Performance (common) and/or parameters per Part. What each knob does can be configured in the Control Assign screen.

The Scene page also has a Mixer tab, with settings that include effect send and return, which can be set per Part. Also this gives quite some options for Scene differences.

Alternatively you could create multiple Parts inside a Performance, each Part with its own parameter settings, and then change Parts via the Scenes by muting all Parts but one, which can also be done in the Scene Mixer tab. Note that muting is a 'brute force' method, it'll not lead to seamless sound switching. There are other ways to do that if needed.

Always have fun.
GuyDenruyter

Thanks for the useful hints!

The idea of storing Assignable knob values in scenes would be great for a firmware upgrade, I think. The "Superknob"-workaround is a valuable idea, but not very easy to achieve, though. But, I am already quite happy with the possibilities of programming scenes today - in particular on FM-sounds I managed to squeeze flute-like sounds, guitar-like sounds, and string-like sounds in one patch, just using scenes :).

RudyB
Location.: Netherlands

Unread post by RudyB »

GuyDenruyter wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:26 pm The idea of storing Assignable knob values in scenes would be great for a firmware upgrade, I think.
Yes, that, plus the knob settings in the Quick Edit screen.

To store the Assign knobs can conflict with Super Knob though, because the SK value is stored and this also sets the 8 knobs to the accompanying values. One will have to make sure to unlink certain Assign knobs from the Super Knob first and then those could be set and saved separately.

Always have fun.
GuyDenruyter

Good analysis!