Covering The Full Range Of Casio Privia Pianos

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: A NEW Era for Portable Pianos by CASIO

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:03 pm

I’ve heard only good things about the PX-560, so I imagine you’ll likely be happy with it! I hope it has the specific features you were looking for, and that they work in the manner you were wanting. :)
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:13 pm

martl wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:47 am
Ok, I ordered mine PX-560 some days ago, maybe already playing it on weekend.

Wish me good luck please! :)

And guys - you helped me a lot, really!

Thanks!

Mart
I think you will like it. It's a fantastic keyboard and I think Casio were ahead of the game on this one so it has a lot more longevity than other keyboards that came out at the same time ;)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SysExJohn » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:15 pm

BTW, Chris (parametric) came over to my place on Sunday and he had another good old bash at my PX-560 and seemed to enjoy the experience.

Mark you, he used just one voice, the piano.

(It was just the Hungarian gulash, with Semmel Knödel and red cabbage he was after, really! ;-) ) :wink: :wink: :wink:
(He seemed to enjoy that too. I can't understand it.)
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
Privia PX-560, AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE and now CbB. XGworks.
Garritan GPO4 and GPO5, COMB2, JABB3, IO, Organs, Steinway, World, Harps ... and now CFX Concert Grand.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:50 pm

Ahh now Chris has played the PX-560 it will be interesting to hear his impressions of it. I know he stuck to the piano sound but generally speaking that is all I play too ;)

Gulash? Very nice! Have not had that since I was a kid. I had a Hungarian friend at school and his mum used to cook it when I went over to his house. Very happy memories :)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SysExJohn » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:19 pm

Saul wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:50 pm
Ahh now Chris has played the PX-560 it will be interesting to hear his impressions of it. I know he stuck to the piano sound but generally speaking that is all I play too ;)

Gulash? Very nice! Have not had that since I was a kid. I had a Hungarian friend at school and his mum used to cook it when I went over to his house. Very happy memories :)
Actually, Chris came and played the 560 soon after I bought it, some while back.
Sunday was his second visit and included PX play time too.

Gulasch (as I believe others spell it) is a very popular dish in Germany, where I lived for ten years.
They eat it there frequently with a kind of dumpling known as Klöße.
Klöße (the final "e" is pronounced) are normally made from potatoes rather than flour.
However, there are many variations and what we had on Sunday was another kind of dumpling known as Semmel Knödel.
These ones are made from hardened bread rolls with added herbs and spices.
There is yet another variety, which we had when visiting Prague, called Servietten Knödel.
These are usually made in a manner similar to our "spotted dick" and then cut into slices.
The gulash in Prague had to be tasted to be believed! (Y)

The veg. frequently accompanying the dish is Rotkohl.
The only place I've found, so far, in the UK that sells "proper" German Rotkohl is Waitrose.
(Too darn lazy to make it myself!)

JohnG.
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
Privia PX-560, AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE and now CbB. XGworks.
Garritan GPO4 and GPO5, COMB2, JABB3, IO, Organs, Steinway, World, Harps ... and now CFX Concert Grand.
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:19 pm

The PX-560 is excellent to play and is very Pianistic in this respect . . .

I did indeed play the Piano Sound mostly - as the piece I was playing (one of mine) was really conceived as a Piano Piece.

One thing I would say is that the textured finish took a bit of "learning", as both my Baby Grand and my Fusion 8HD

have SMOOTH keys.

My piece has a trill, a triplet figure that is played by SLIDING the finger on one note - to land on the next - and this has to be

done in a controlled way so as not to disrupt the timing of the melody.

This "sliding" was a bit more difficult to execute properly due to the texture.

As with all thing "Piano" - a little practice is in order, and sorts things out.

The point I'm making is that the textured finish is different to what I'm familiar with - so a little practice WAS required . . .

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:08 pm

Thanks Chris. As you say, a change of key texture can take some time to become accustomed to. For me, as someone who is really NOT a pianist the added texture helps a lot as I tend not to then slip off the keys when moving quickly from one to another.

I am sure if you had written your music using the PX560 it would have been so much easier :)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:48 pm

Just to illustrate my point. The triplet figure is at the top of the melody line . . . .

This is the Piece in question:
ETUDE Mixed.mp3
(5.7 MiB) Downloaded 21 times
Not a perfect performance, :whistle: but uses the Q UP Arts® Holy Grail Grand Piano and the Stereo Piano and Strings presets

from the Fusion.

Recorded in the Fusion's Sequencer initially - and finished in Reaper . . .No FX added as far as I remember . . . .

You may remember it from the Visit to Yamaha the other day - I played it on the CP88 . . . .

Chris
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:54 am

I do indeed remember it from our visit to Yamaha and it is a beautiful piece of music and so well played ((i))

Were you also playing that on the Elton John signed piano when we arrived?
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:52 am

Could be . . . .

It's what I normally play if trying (particularly) REAL Pianos, though I'll use it as a yardstick for any board . . . .

Chris

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:34 pm

On the subject of PX560 vs PX-S3000, largely adapted from some posts in another forum... At least from the manual and what's known so far, advantages of PX-560 appear to be:

+ MIDI din plugs
+ Color touchscreen that provides quicker access for many functions
+ Mod wheel
+ Better Rhodes sounds, probably
+ Ability to load new sounds downloadable from the Casio forum
+ Ability to layer two sounds on the left side of a split
+ Hex layers (additional sound and control possibilities, and still more split and layer flexibility)
+ Fully editable sounds (vs. only being able to edit the effects)
+ 3 very customizable assignable knobs (vs. 2 knobs with limited assignability)
+ Quicker patch selection (hard buttons for access to registrations; ability to group disparate favorites on to a single screen for one-touch patch change)
+ greater polyphony

PX-S3000 advantages...
+ slimmer/lighter
+ updated and presumably better piano sound
+ bluetooth
+ iOS/Android app
+ battery operation
+ availability of a compact 3-pedal unit that doesn't require full stand

? - non-piano sounds are also different... but I don't know which has better strings, winds, brass, etc.
? - don't know how the quality of the internal speakers compares
? - supposed to be an improved action, but some may prefer the three sensor PX560?
User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SysExJohn » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:09 pm

Just a bit of info, discovered today, regarding the PX560 MIDI capability.

I'd seen and heard in a YouTube review of the new Casio keyboards, that they already have high resolution velocity transmission (preceding the introduction of MIDI 2.0), so I decided to check out my PX560 for the same.
Lo and behold, there on page EN79 of the User's Guide, there is an on/off capability for transmission via the MIDI connection, labelled "Hi-Res Vel Out".

So, I connected my laptop to the USB connection of the PX560, with this control showing "on".
I then ran the program MIDI-OX on the laptop, which can be set to monitor and display what is recieved via a MIDI port.

And what did I see?
When I press a Key, any key on the PX560, the laptop receives two messages.
The first is a relatively newly defined MIDI controller message, CC#58, the second message being the appropriate MIDI Note On.

Flipping to the "PX-360M / PX-560M MIDI implementation" document, as provided in pdf form, downloadable from Casio,
one can see, on page 13 at the top, item 7.20 "High Resolution Velocity Prefix (58H)", and this is precisely what precedes the Note On event.
The resolution seems to be, at first glance, the full seven bits, which is amazing, as so many instruments I've tested only use a few extra bits (usually three) for pitch bend. I.e. they use the full seven bits of the MSB but only three extra of the LSB, making ten bit resolution.

BTW, the 560 seems also to transmit 14 bit resolution for pitch bend.

Just thought there may be others who'd like to know.

JohnG.

Just as an afterthought, the following day,
for those who might have a strong interest in exact note timing, don't forget that by adding the "Hi-Res Velocity Prefix", the note transmission to the MIDI recording software is going to be delayed by at least 1 millisecond; the time taken to transmit the CC#58 message before the Note On.
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:18 pm

That’s great to know! :)

By the way, how much do you use the synthy sound-sculpting capabilities of your PX-560? Are they easy to access, or do you have to do a lot of menu diving?
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SysExJohn » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:44 am

Hi Michael,

Please note the addendum to my previous message.

Regarding your question re Hex Layer editing.
The answer, I've messed about a bit, that is, tried it out and done some fairly simple editing to pre-existing patches.

A lot of menu diving?
You can do a lot of menu diving to your hearts content, if that's what turns you on.
One of the things that I discovered about the way Casio has arranged the Hex Layer editing is that it is like using one of the very early synths which would have had a control knob for every editable parameter, meaning literally dozens of knobs back then.
The PX560, with its colour touch screen, does all this and more, with a single control knob they call "dial".

I find editing things on the 560 MUCH more intuitive and incredibly easy compared to the AN1X.
I can edit in seconds things which took me ages before.

So, you can edit, for instance, the envelope, both levels and time, selecting each bit as you go, and change those parameters just by turning the dial.
BUT, you can also SEE what you're doing in the display as you change things.

The only way I can really illustrate this is by putting in a YouTube tutorial by Casio's Rich Formidoni here:

As for myself, I have experimented a bit more with editng some of the DSP parameters, especially where they influence the sound of the piano tones.
e.g. Lid position, reflection level, input level, wet and dry level.

There's a total of 20 DSP effects that can be tweaked.

I hope that goes some way to answer your questions?

ATB
JohnG.

Again as an afterthought, I wonder if I should be posting these things in another thread specifically about the PX560, not here?
Any thoughts by moderators, and others, would be welcome.
User avatar Romania
Swithin

Unread post by Swithin » Fri May 03, 2019 5:54 pm

About the key length on the PX-S keyboards vs previous Privia models: I've just watched Mike Martin's webinar on the PX-S3000 and he said the keys are only about an eighth of an inch shorter on the new models. So, in terms of the pivot point, there shouldn't be much difference.

Several reviewers have also reported that the keys feel lighter on the PX-S models. Apparently, the piano samples come from Bechstein rather than Steinway this time, which makes the lighter keys more relevant: I remember a Phil Best's presentation of Pianoteq's Bechstein model, where he's playing on a Roland keyboard and mentions it doesn't feel quite right, because the Roland keys are weighted so as to emulate those on a Steinway piano, whereas Bechstein keys are lighter.

I wonder why Casio hasn't put this information out there in a clear and coherent way. To me, all these bits of information seem to converge towards the idea that this new action is a fantastic one. I can't wait to try it myself.

Return to “Casio Privia Piano Forum”