Advertisement
Loopcloud Music App from Loopmasters.com
User avatar United States of America
anotherscott

Re: A NEW Era for Portable Pianos by CASIO

Unread post by anotherscott » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:16 pm

jcortez73 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:45 am
Here's a video of the Casio PX-S3000. Is it a better choice than the PX-560?
Better depends on what you're looking for. The PX560 is a much, much more capable keyboard overall. But I don't know how the actions or piano sounds will compare, and in a living room, the 3000 has nicer aesthetics.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:24 pm

kalty wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:03 pm
also cuts down the production price!
2 in 1 :/: God ... i love this emote!
It truly is the king of emotes...and very useful on this forum because sometimes there is just nothing else to say (Y) <->
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Novation ReMote 61SL/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:26 pm

anotherscott wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:16 pm
jcortez73 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:45 am
Here's a video of the Casio PX-S3000. Is it a better choice than the PX-560?
Better depends on what you're looking for. The PX560 is a much, much more capable keyboard overall. But I don't know how the actions or piano sounds will compare, and in a living room, the 3000 has nicer aesthetics.
Definitely agree the PX-S3000 would be the one to have in the living room (Y) Still, I guess it depends a lot on what your budget is and where the street price is going to settle.

Also depends on what your needs are. If you only ever play piano there seems little point in having hundreds of sounds you will never use?
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Novation ReMote 61SL/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
User avatar Romania
Swithin

Unread post by Swithin » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:58 pm

anotherscott wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:04 pm
It is not inconceivable that a 2-sensor board could play better overall than a 3-sensor board, even if it means losing some specific 3-sensor behavior.
That's right. I think Rolands are all 2-sensor and I've heard some very fast repetitions on the FP-30 and the Juno-DS 88.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:02 pm

Swithin wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:58 pm
anotherscott wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:04 pm
It is not inconceivable that a 2-sensor board could play better overall than a 3-sensor board, even if it means losing some specific 3-sensor behavior.
That's right. I think Rolands are all 2-sensor and I've heard some very fast repetitions on the FP-30 and the Juno-DS 88.
Interesting you mention the FP-30 and DS88 as I have just been talking to Roland about them ;)

I always liked the action on the DS88 and the feel of the keys. Have not played the FP-30 though. I see the price on that has dropped to around £468 now?
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:48 pm

Saul wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:26 pm
Also depends on what your needs are. If you only ever play piano there seems little point in having hundreds of sounds you will never use?
That's an argument for choosing the S1000 over the S3000, but it's not really an argument for choosing the S3000 over the PX560, because they both have hundreds of non-piano sounds.
Swithin wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:58 pm
I don't know about the Rolands, but the third sensor is not about fast repetitions per se. If you can play the intro to Billy Joel's "Angry Young Man" at all, you can play it as well on a 2 sensor board as a 3 sensor board, the third sensor doesn't come into play for that. The third sensor does help with soft repetitions and trills, and allows you to create the effect of restriking a note without silencing it first without having to have the sustain pedal depressed.
Saul wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:02 pm
I always liked the action on the DS88 and the feel of the keys. Have not played the FP-30 though.
I thought the FP30 felt better than the DS88, which seems more sluggish.
anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:44 pm

Earlier in the thread, I mentioned that I was disappointed in the piano sound of the CDP-S100 (from the posted videos). It turns out that that's the only model with that piano engine. Casio's Mike Martin posted elsewhere that, while the S100 is AHL II as Saul said, the S350 uses a version of AiX (from the recent CTX series of boards). And the Privias (PX-S1000/S3000) use an enhanced version of AiR, which is their best piano tech. So there are 3 different piano engines among these four new models! Which also means that, in most cases, as you move up the line, you're not just getting more sounds and/or other features, you're also getting better piano sound.
Dons

Unread post by Dons » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:15 pm

I wonder if the PX S3000 will be available in white like the S1000.

Also, the USB port on the PX S3000 is not a USB audio interface? If so, that is disappointing. Even my $699 Numa Compact 2x has it; it is a convenient feature to route audio from PC or IOS devices.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:46 pm

Dons wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:15 pm
I wonder if the PX S3000 will be available in white like the S1000.

Also, the USB port on the PX S3000 is not a USB audio interface? If so, that is disappointing. Even my $699 Numa Compact 2x has it; it is a convenient feature to route audio from PC or IOS devices.
No it is definitely not an audio interface. I was hoping it was. There was no PX-S3000 available when I visited Casio so I could only look at the PX-S1000 and the CDP-S100.

A built in audio interface is usually one of my red lines and I pass on any keyboard that doesn't have it but, I must admit I was quite taken with the whole look, feel and sound of the PX-S1000 and the CDP-S100 for that matter.

Keyboard manufacturers perhaps need to rethink their reasons for leaving a usb audio interface off keyboards these days. It is a lot more convenient to record Audio direct out of the USB port to a DAW than record on the keyboard to a USB stick and then plug that into the computer and import into the software. Seems to me that makes extra links in the chain that are not really needed.

What if you don't have a usb stick? Yes they are cheap enough but if you don't happen to have one laying about what do you do then?

So, not a deal breaker for me THIS TIME but I hope Casio make sure to put an audio interface into future versions of these keyboards.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:55 pm

Saul wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:46 pm
Keyboard manufacturers perhaps need to rethink their reasons for leaving a usb audio interface off keyboards these days. It is a lot more convenient
Cost could be the reason. Possibly also the development resources at hand. But also, AFAIK, there is no class compliance for that feature. Which means that, to use that feature, you have to install a custom driver on your computer. So there are times where the USB stick method might be more convenient. Of course, ideally, you'd have both options. ;-)
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:12 pm

Yeah that's my thinking though. Have both as an option.

Drivers of course are a pain. They require ongoing development costs and you need to often update them every time Apple or MS update their OS so yes I do understand there is a certainly level of complexity and cost but I would still prefer it to just having the only option being record to a usb stick or memory card.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

User avatar Romania
Swithin

Unread post by Swithin » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:09 pm

Saul wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:02 pm
Interesting you mention the FP-30 and DS88 as I have just been talking to Roland about them ;)

I always liked the action on the DS88 and the feel of the keys. Have not played the FP-30 though. I see the price on that has dropped to around £468 now?
And what have Roland said - if you may disclose it to us? :) The FP-30 is now EUR 555 on thomann.de, about the same as the Casio PX-160.

I remember you liked the DS88 very much. About 2 years ago, you advised me to try it. I did, but it was too much for me. I liked the ebony & ivory feel of the keys, but the action was more than my skills could handle: my playing was all over the place because of how the keys bounced, I couldn't even keep a steady tempo. I didn't have that problem on Yamaha's GHS.

Later, I tried a Privia. The bounciness of the keys instantly reminded me of the DS88 and put me off at first, but when I was about to get up and leave, I realized I didn't want to stop playing the Casio. The extra depth of the key travel made it easier for me to handle the bouncy keys than on the DS88.

I tried two more GHS keyboards and a Korg one (same keybed as the Kross) some time later, and then two more Privias. I had the same feeling: contradictory as it may sound, I didn't quite like the Privia action, but I enjoyed playing it. And the texture of the keys was quite pleasant.

So I'm very curious to see what the new Privia keybed feels like. If it's just slightly less bouncy, I think I would love it.
anotherscott wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:48 pm
[...]the third sensor is not about fast repetitions per se. [...] The third sensor does help with soft repetitions and trills, and allows you to create the effect of restriking a note without silencing it first without having to have the sustain pedal depressed.
[...]
I thought the FP30 felt better than the DS88, which seems more sluggish.
You're right, that should be the main purpose of the 3rd sensor - but most people mention it in connection with fast repetitions.

The DS88 uses Roland's Ivory Feel G keybed, while the F-30 has their high-end PHA-IV keybed. I haven't tried that one yet.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:44 pm

Well the only thing Roland have pointed out is that a fairer comparison would be between the PX-S1000 and the FP-30 as they are in the same price range, although as I mentioned the FP-30 has dropped in price recently.

I have not tried the FP-30 so it would be useful to get hold of one. Will have to see what I can do there.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Dons

Unread post by Dons » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:08 am

Hi Saul,

Did you happen to pay attention to the key noise when you tried the PX S1000? I loved my PX330. I really felt that I got a lot more than what I paid for (with some other brands usually it's the other way around). However, the PX330 had an issue with key noise. I hope it's been improved with these new models. Would you know if the PX S3000 would be also available in white?

Thanks

Return to “Casio Privia Piano Forum”