Thanks a/scott.
Now for that CP73 action ...
User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: NAMM 2019 Yamaha's New CP73 and CP88 Stage Pianos

Unread post by Derek » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:18 am

I guess in the same way that a Nord stage and Korg Kronos is a very popular stage combination (the one I spot the most), Yamaha would love to see more CP Stage and MODX or Montage 6 (for example).
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
User avatar United States of America
anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:42 pm

Picking up on a previous post, I'm really surprised at the skimpy sound set. Here are some common sounds it seems you won't find in these CPs: accordion, harmonica, flute (or any winds at all), violin, trumpet, brass section (actually no horns at all except for a synth brass patch), voices (except for an "air choir" pad)... forget anything "exotic" like a mellotron or a sitar. Even as a high end piano-centric board, I'm surprised that there are only two clav sounds (so not even covering the 4 basic clav pickup positions)... though there are 6 FM EP sounds. ;-)

As a standalone board, unless you're really piano/EP focussed, I'd look at supplementing with at least an iPad, and then the board's good MIDI controller functions come into play, which is an area where it has a leg up on other piano-centric limited soundset boards like the Korg SV1, Crumar Seven, or some of the piano models with built-in speakers. But with so much of the board's appeal being in the grab-and-go sound selection/manipulation, at a $2k+ price, it's really a shame that its sound selection is as limited as it is. Nowhere near what you'd get in a Nord Piano 4 or a Korg Grandstage.

As part of a pair, this small sound set may make more demands of a second board, so if you were thinking about pairing it with a drawbar organ or knobby synth, you may also have to think about how/whether your second board can provide some of these other common sounds.
Fleer

Unread post by Fleer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:42 pm

Unless there’s a huge ROM/RAM container ;)
anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:55 pm

Fleer wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:42 pm
Unless there’s a huge ROM/RAM container ;)
There may be, but unless they make it available for user samples, we'd still be limited to whatever sounds Yamaha chooses to make available for it, so at this point, we can't count on it having any particular sound it doesn't already have.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:04 pm

This is why I think it is worth looking at the Dexibell Vivo S9. It is a more versatile keyboard, in my opinion of course. Not forgetting the S7 which is probably more directly comparable to the CP although the Dexibell has unlimited polyphony at 24bit Audio, with advanced control over modelling aspects.

It is going to be a very interesting next couple of weeks!
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
pologuy

Unread post by pologuy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:26 pm

anotherscott wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:42 pm
Picking up on a previous post, I'm really surprised at the skimpy sound set. Here are some common sounds it seems you won't find in these CPs: accordion, harmonica, flute (or any winds at all), violin, trumpet, brass section (actually no horns at all except for a synth brass patch), voices (except for an "air choir" pad)... forget anything "exotic" like a mellotron or a sitar. Even as a high end piano-centric board, I'm surprised that there are only two clav sounds (so not even covering the 4 basic clav pickup positions)... though there are 6 FM EP sounds. ;-)

As a standalone board, unless you're really piano/EP focussed, I'd look at supplementing with at least an iPad, and then the board's good MIDI controller functions come into play, which is an area where it has a leg up on other piano-centric limited soundset boards like the Korg SV1, Crumar Seven, or some of the piano models with built-in speakers. But with so much of the board's appeal being in the grab-and-go sound selection/manipulation, at a $2k+ price, it's really a shame that its sound selection is as limited as it is. Nowhere near what you'd get in a Nord Piano 4 or a Korg Grandstage.

As part of a pair, this small sound set may make more demands of a second board, so if you were thinking about pairing it with a drawbar organ or knobby synth, you may also have to think about how/whether your second board can provide some of these other common sounds.
That is why I said it is more comparable to the Kawai MP11 SE...

Both have the same physical layout
Both have wooden keys and great action
Both have their two best grand piano samples
Both have an anemic amount of voices/sounds - 40 (MP11), 60 (CP88)
Both have the same small LCD display

The MP11 however has a polyphony of 256 - where the CP88 is only 128.
anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:17 pm

Saul wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:04 pm
Not forgetting the S7 which is probably more directly comparable to the CP
It's got almost no dedicated hands-on controls, it's back to mostly menus to set things up or to make adjustments. Which is fine, but if someone looks at the CP and decides it's worth giving up its kind of interface/ergonomics to get a board with more sounds and versatility, I'm not sure Dexibell is the most likely candidate. Why not MODX8 at that point? Though I do get that the Dexibell is simpler.
Saul wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:04 pm
Dexibell has unlimited polyphony at 24bit Audio
Every board has its perks, but I think polyphony is pretty over-rated in most cases. I mean, do you think you'll drop notes on a CP? It's pretty hard to task 128 when you can't layer more than two sounds (though it does depend somewhat on the underlying architecture... the Korg Kross main piano uses 4 instances of polyphony per note). I'm also not persuaded by a spec like 24 bit audio, what matters is what it sounds like. I'm skeptical about being able to tell the difference between 16-bit and 24-bit in most circumstances, and overall, I didn't think most of the Dexibell sounds themselves were as good as Yamaha sounds, even if they had "more bits."
pologuy wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:26 pm
That is why I said it is more comparable to the Kawai MP11 SE...

Both have the same physical layout
Both have wooden keys and great action
Both have their two best grand piano samples
Both have an anemic amount of voices/sounds - 40 (MP11), 60 (CP88)
Both have the same small LCD display

The MP11 however has a polyphony of 256 - where the CP88 is only 128.
I see the MP11 similarity too, though at 72 lbs, there may be a substantial difference in who they are appealing to.
User avatar Great Britain
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:08 pm

Hi folks,

I would be interested to hear how much MB/GB memory the CP models have, please? I mean, on my old Nord Stage Classic (which I ditched last year) it only had 128MB for the Piano Section; which was very poor and a massive frustration for obvious reasons. If you could fit just one 'large' Grand Piano on you were doing well! Personally, I would never use Nord again.

Secondly, why are the Hammond Organ demonstrations on the CP models so few and far between? Nobody wants to be wasting the resources of a second keyboard on a Hammond Organ patch (ie. when it should be used for Strings/Brass)! And so, have Yamaha delivered the goods in this particular department or not?

Many thanks in advance,

Paul
Cubase 9.5 / Sibelius 8.5

Dell Inspiron N5040, Windows 10 Home, 16GB RAM, 64-bit, 2.13gHz, Service Pack 1.
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:58 pm

Hi,

I spent an hour testing out the CP73 this weekend. The ORGANS are utterly dreadful, I am sorry to say! Such a complete let-down. They sound like a 1980's ROMpler!

Ta,

Paul
anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:42 am

I would have been surprised if the CP organs were any better than Montage/MODX. If they sound like rompler implementations, it's because they are rompler implementations. I'd say they are above average for rompler organs, but there is no separate organ engine of the type you would need to do organs really well. They can get you by if you're not too demanding. And if you're more demanding, there's a good chance you don't want to be playing organ on a hammer action, ether. So second-rate organs on a hammer action boar don't really bother me.
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:01 am

Hi Scott,

I have never played the Montage/MODX and so I don't have that basis of comparison. But I'll take your word that they are far from great.

I think you have made a good point in that, on the CP88, there is no dedicated ORGAN section; and instead they have bundled this keyboard-type into the SYNTH section. This, I feel, falls flat on it's behind. I could happily live without physical drawbars if the organ sounds were better. There are no Hammonds; only 60s/70s, church organs and some other non-descriptives.

It was actually the CP73 I was interested in - so weighted keys don't enter into the equation. The store only had a CP88 on the shop floor to demo though.

I wonder, considering Yamaha have a file-sharing forum, and promise 6 monthly updates, if they will release some improvements (or maybe forum members will upload there own programmings)?

If the organs had been adequate I would have 90% bought the keyboard there and then. And so Yamaha have lost out on a sale here (I hope you are listening!).

Ta,

Paul
anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:10 am

monsterjazzlicks wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:01 am
It was actually the CP73 I was interested in - so weighted keys don't enter into the equation.
CP73 has weighted (hammer) action. It's not the same one as in the CP88, but it's still hammer action. There is no un/semi-weighted or synth/organ action version of the CP. The closest things might be the Nord Electro 6D 73, Vox Continental 73, Roland VR730. .
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:14 am

Hi Scott,

The guy in the store told me it was non-weighted as I specifically told him I suffer with tendinitis.

It was actually quite a weird shopping experience because I went in the store with only 2 questions, which nobody knew the answer to. Then I ended up talking for 15 mins telling them everything that I already knew about the instrument. Kinda back-to-front!

Ta,

Paul
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:02 pm

Hi,

The Yamaha Synth/CP88 forum is lousy! Nobody even replies to any of the questions posted - whether by me or someone else.

A forum in which there are no participants!

ta,

Paul

Return to “Yamaha CP73 and CP88 Forum”