Covers both the Yamaha CP73 & CP88

Moderators: parametric, SeaGtGruff

User avatar United States of America
anotherscott

Re: NAMM 2019 Yamaha's New CP73 and CP88 Stage Pianos

Unread post by anotherscott » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:42 pm

Saul wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:38 pm
If that is the case then it makes it far less versatile a keyboard than the Dexibell Combo J7, which would be my preference at that price point.
The Dexibell closest to the CP73/CP88 would be the S3Pro/S7Pro, i.e. hammer action piano-centric boards (also similar in having more effects banks and 4-zone MIDI control). The Dexibell and Yamaha have a kind of opposite way of working in terms of mixing and matching sounds on the fly, though... on the Yamaha, you go to the sound you want, and then assign it to the keyboard section you want it on (left, right, or both), whereas on the Dexibell I believe you first pick the keyboard section you want (main, coupled, lower) and then assign the sound you want to it. Similarly, on the Yamaha, you assign effects to sounds, whereas on the Dexibell you assign effects to keyboard sections. Either approach obviously can work, but you come at them from a slightly different mind set. The Nord Electro 5 also worked the way Dexibell does, as do the Roland VR09/VR730 (kind of), while the Electro 6 and Nord Stage and Nord Piano models along with the Kawai MP11/11SE work more the way the Yamaha does.

As an aside, if it's for home use and portability is not a factor, I think the Kawai MP11SE could be a very viable alternative to a CP88... very similar design in many ways, and arguably offering a better piano/EP experience. It does weigh over 70 lbs, though.
User avatar Great Britain
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Thu May 23, 2019 10:26 pm

Hi folks,

I have had massive issues logging into the Yamaha Synth for 5 weeks! But now resolved I will respond there (and also here) in due course...

Ta,

Paul
User avatar Chile
Eduardo Rojas

Unread post by Eduardo Rojas » Sun May 26, 2019 7:49 pm

Will be there a new sound library for the OS update?

From all what I've heard, I must say that I DO NOT like the sound at all. There're many side by side videos around, and on all of them This CP73/88 sound digital, cold, anemic, lifeless, thin. It has no depth and no warmth.

I'm really disappointed with this. Because it is expensive (not to say overpriced), with almost 5 times less sounds than Nord. And of course, without the possibility to replace sounds to create our own libraries. At least the sound quality should've been awe-inspiring.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sun May 26, 2019 9:37 pm

I visited Yamaha HQ here in the UK along with Chris (parametric) and we both thought the CP sounded great.

The lack of versatility in loading sounds was the only thing that would concern me but actually there are plenty of sounds already loaded. How many do you need?

Are there any particular videos you are referring to?
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
User avatar Chile
Eduardo Rojas

Unread post by Eduardo Rojas » Sun May 26, 2019 10:15 pm

Saul wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 9:37 pm
I visited Yamaha HQ here in the UK along with Chris (parametric) and we both thought the CP sounded great.

The lack of versatility in loading sounds was the only thing that would concern me but actually there are plenty of sounds already loaded. How many do you need?

Are there any particular videos you are referring to?
There're several my friend

I don't know why I can't post youtube videos here, but some examples

Yamaha CP 88 vs Nord Piano 4. The Yamaha sounds shrill, harsh in comparision
Korg Grand Stage vs Yamaha CP 88 vs Dexibell S9 Pro (actually it's a S7 Pro) vs Casio PX 3000. There're 2 videos. One, a guy playing. The other, a beautiful lady. On both videos the difference between Yamaha and Dexibell (the best one IMHO) is night and day. Yamaha is like listening a piano through a cell phone

:(
User avatar Chile
Eduardo Rojas

Unread post by Eduardo Rojas » Sun May 26, 2019 10:27 pm

Reading some youtube reviews, the most criticized sounds overall are pianos and organs

But I do find the sound in general to be thin

:(
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Sun May 26, 2019 11:04 pm

Hi guys,

Well after all of my negative comments last month regarding the CP88 I actually went to hear/play one in person at PMT in Manchester. The guy in the store was phenomenally helpful I have to say. I had him unbox a Nord Electro 6 from the store-room and set it up next to the CP88 so I could test them together. The organs on the new Electro are out-of-this-world (no comment on the CP88 organs!). However, the Rhodes and Pianos on the CP88 were superior. I told this to the guy (after 2 hours of testing round in circles). I did not purchase either though.

The following week I returned to the same store and asked the same guy if I could A/B test them again. Within less than 5 seconds I said to him I am so blown away with the CP88 that I am going to buy the CP73. So I bought it there and then!

My best mate would is a great pop player and has used Nord since the year dot came and tested my CP73 and was astonished at how much better the Rhodes and Pianos were (compared to his Nord Stage 2)!

By the way, don't buy from Dawson's as they are just a bunch of lousy time-wasters.

Ta,

Paul
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Sun May 26, 2019 11:07 pm

(Should we not all be watching 'EU/Brexit Votes' right now?!)
anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Sun May 26, 2019 11:24 pm

monsterjazzlicks wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 11:04 pm
The organs on the new Electro are out-of-this-world (no comment on the CP88 organs!). However, the Rhodes and Pianos on the CP88 were superior...My best mate would is a great pop player and has used Nord since the year dot came and tested my CP73 and was astonished at how much better the Rhodes and Pianos were (compared to his Nord Stage 2)!
Nord came out with a bunch of new Rhodes samples in December. As of February, they are compatible with the Electro 6, but I would guess they were not on the unit you tried. They also made them available for the Nord Stage 2 (although not with quite as many options as on the E6 and other current boards), so your friend might want to download them.
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Sun May 26, 2019 11:31 pm

Hi Another Scott,

I tried the Nefertiti and a Sparkle Top (I think they were both called?), if those are the ones you are referring to. Definitely a massive improvement on the E.P's I had on my old Nord Stage Classic.

I am tempted to buy the Electro 61D mainly because I was so blown away by the Organ engine.

Personally, for what the NE6D and CP73 are, I feel they are good value for their price.

Ta,

Paul
anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Mon May 27, 2019 12:05 am

monsterjazzlicks wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 11:31 pm
I tried the Nefertiti and a Sparkle Top (I think they were both called?), if those are the ones you are referring to. Definitely a massive improvement on the E.P's I had on my old Nord Stage Classic.
I'm talking about new versions of those sounds. So for example, the Nefertiti came out in June of 2016, and the Electro 6 has always shipped with that, but in Feb they came out with an improved version... the sample set is 50% bigger, with more velocity layers, and they added 5 front panel selectable EQ options to it. (The Stage 2 can load the new sample, but doesn't support those additional EQ options.)
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Mon May 27, 2019 6:11 pm

anotherscott wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 12:05 am
I'm talking about new versions of those sounds. So for example, the Nefertiti came out in June of 2016, and the Electro 6 has always shipped with that, but in Feb they came out with an improved version... the sample set is 50% bigger, with more velocity layers, and they added 5 front panel selectable EQ options to it. (The Stage 2 can load the new sample, but doesn't support those additional EQ options.)
Oh I see. Then in that case, no, I did not get to hear/play the new Electro Rhodes sounds. I have only heard those older versions.
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Mon May 27, 2019 6:15 pm

Saul wrote:
I took the CP73 (still boxed!) straight out on a gig after only buying it only 2 hours earlier, and has no issues at all (accessing factory loaded presets and adding FX/EQ etc). All very logical and hand-on, in my option.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Mon May 27, 2019 6:17 pm

Thanks for that Paul. Always good to get feedback on how the CP73 is in a live situation. Especially as you only had it a couple of hours! ((i))
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Mon May 27, 2019 6:22 pm

Saul wrote:
actually there are plenty of sounds already loaded. How many do you need?
I'm not so concerned about the number of sounds per se, but the absence of some bread-and-butter sounds that I'd expect, that would limit its ability to be someone's only gig board. As I mentioned earlier, some common sounds you won't find in these CPs: accordion, harmonica, flute or sax (or any winds at all), violin, trumpet, brass section (actually no horns at all except for a synth brass patch), voices (except for an "air choir" pad). Even as a high end piano-centric board, I'm surprised that there are only two clav sounds (so not even covering the 4 basic clav pickup positions).

Return to “Yamaha CP73 and CP88 Forum”