New sounds and improvements for the next Yamaha CP OS (September). What you'd love to have?

Covers both the Yamaha CP73 & CP88

Moderators: parametric, SeaGtGruff

User avatar Chile
Eduardo Rojas

New sounds and improvements for the next Yamaha CP OS (September). What you'd love to have?

Unread post by Eduardo Rojas » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:43 pm

Hi :D

On the next September there will be the upcoming OS update.

So, let's say they're adding 10 sounds.
What you'd love to have?
Here's my list.

- Romantic, mellow piano. As I've posted before, I found the present pianos to be bright
- Mellotron. This is a highly sought after sound on keyboards.
- A classic synth string sound, like Solina String Ensemble, or the in house Yamaha SK 30. This classic synth can combine poly and lead at the same time.
- Mini Moog. A MUST sound for lead synth.
- Yamaha CS 80. How come they don't include it!. This would be a MASSIVE selling hook
- Violin. A must instrument missing.
- Clean electric guitar. Beautifully voiced, to be used alone or with the FX section.
- Acoustic guitar. Another must instrument missing
- 12 string guitar. Ditto
- Sax: a good one, not a cheesy one from the past

:D

Among the improvements:
- Sympathetic string resonance on pianos
- Organ sounds section
- Improved distortion and ring modulator effects. The current ones are unusable, IMHO.

And finally, a Yamaha Sound Manager editior. Yes, pretty much a la Nord. After all, we know this one was made as a Nord competition. BUT with a great advantage missing on Nord. The ability to move any sound you want into any category, so you can have unlimited possibilites to layer and splits the sounds you want. On the current Nord Electros, you can't have, for example, strings + guitar, mellotron + lead synth, etc

:D

User avatar Chile
Eduardo Rojas

Re: New sounds and improvements for the next Yamaha CP OS (September). What you'd love to have?

Unread post by Eduardo Rojas » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:00 pm

Another improvement

Adding filter cutoff option. That could be implemented as, let's say, pressing "tune" for 2 secs and then immediatly the tone knob is now assigned to filter cutoff. Press tune again and then the tune button is going back to its function

Also, the possibility to select different types of reverb (hall, plate, room, spring. The most common ones)

And, if it's still not implemented, the option to "move" any sound we'd want to other category.

So we can have, for instance, pads or strings splitted with synth sounds. Which is very useful and a classic feature.
Or to have a "dual" organ, so we can manipulate left and right hands with different FX and volume. Pretty useful as well.

And finally, a way to activate "drawbars". All we know this doesn't have, but there must be a way to activate at least the 8 live mode buttons to use as drawbars. That would be a much welcomed addition. And As you keep pressed each of the 8 buttons, the drawbars "descend", activate it. Like on a real drawbar organ. And we could see the drawbar simulation on the screen.

Of course there must be a compromise, since we have 8 live buttons, and there're 9 drawbars, but that would be a great feature anyway.

As I posted before, the organs need a much revised version.

:)
User avatar United States of America
anotherscott

Re: New sounds and improvements for the next Yamaha CP OS (September). What you'd love to have?

Unread post by anotherscott » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:32 am

Eduardo Rojas wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:43 pm
So, let's say they're adding 10 sounds.
What you'd love to have?
Here's my list.
With ten sounds, you'd have to be more specific. Mellotron, Minimoog, CS80, are not sounds, they are entire instruments each with numerous entirely different well known sounds. i.e. do you mean Mellotron strings? flutes? choir? brass? There are lots, actually. Though I guess strings is the most well known, apart from Strawberry Fields. Minimoog lead sounds probably won't work so well in a sample based instrument with no monophonic (as opposed to polyphonic) mode, no portamento, and such minimal synth functionality for envelopes/filters/LFO etc., so I'm not sure there would be much to be gained there, but the others are reasonable. I don't much care about guitars on a stage piano, though, since on any gig, I'm pretty much always playing with a guitarist. ;-)

My own list of commonly used sounds the CP is missing: accordion, harmonica, flute, sax, violin, trumpet, brass section, choir voices, and for the last two, I'll add a couple more clav sounds, since I think a high end piano should have at least one instance of each of the 4 main clav sounds (the 4 pickup positions).
Eduardo Rojas wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:00 pm
And, if it's still not implemented, the option to "move" any sound we'd want to other category.
I think it's been able to do that from the start.
Eduardo Rojas wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:00 pm
And finally, a way to activate "drawbars". All we know this doesn't have, but there must be a way to activate at least the 8 live mode buttons to use as drawbars...Of course there must be a compromise, since we have 8 live buttons, and there're 9 drawbars, but that would be a great feature anyway.
Doubtful that anything like that is possible. You're assuming that Yamaha is generating the organ sound by combining 9 underlying resident tones (possibly more for things like key click), and that is unlikely. There are some patches that are constructed that way on the Montage, but it's not typical, and it can eat up polyphony very quickly.
User avatar Spain
MondoSub

Unread post by MondoSub » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:29 am

ORGAN
Not that it would be useless, but honestly, I'm not worried about "drawbar-functionality" in the CP73/88.
Way *more* useful would be a handful of great Hammond sounds that could allow the player to perform a blues-gig without having the front man moving his head back anytime the keyboard player switchs to the organ :confusion-confused:. In fact, for me and many others, the "weakest part" of using the CP73/88 as a combo keyboard is an acceptable B-3 emulation. Yes the leslie sim could be improved but I don't see that's the problem. Adding (or cancelling) distortion, leslie sim and fxs is yet possible, so please, provide a healthy collection of well rounded B-3 tones in different and "well-known" drawbar combinations. These can be clean with or without vib/ch and please, for the vast majority, forget the percussion (that's where most of emulations tend to fall) or provide a sample only with those (2nd & 3rd, so the player would be able to layer-it if needed)

STRING SOUNDS
Another tone that will be useful in other context is a more present, articulate and maybe a bit more realistic string ensemble tone, along with the string machines mentioned in the forum. The SK20/30/50 is great but also the tone of the strings of the CE20 is delicious (both with the ensemble effect) This FM keyboard has also a great brass patch (I think it was used in "Billy Jean" if I'm not wrong). The Mellotron string samples also will provide a good collection of timbres here.

ANALOG SYNTH SOUNDS
Mellotron, Minimoog, CS80, are not sounds, they are entire instruments each with numerous entirely different well known sounds
+ Indeed.
It's better to be specific: CS80 Brass, Strings, Harp, Harmonica? :violin:
BTW, the Yamaha CS70M and GS2 have some unique polyphonic sounds that also would be great additions.
Minimoog lead and bass will be welcome if the CP's engine can perform a monophonic mode along with portamento.

IMHO we need to start talking about LFOs and filters for a keyboard to be realistic with these type of sounds.
As others mentioned, some filter cut-off control (perhaps modulated by a pedal or the DEPTH pot in the SUB section, as SPEED could control the rate of an LFO closing and opening the filter... :?: ) would be just the ticket.
Then, some unique timbres from other monosynths of the CS series could follow, such as the CS10, CS30 and CS40M.
Another feature for these type of synthetic (poly or mono sounds) timbres that several makers usually miss nowadays in a combo instrument (including Nord) is some short of slew or delay for the vibrato :idea: (or LFO-to-pitch modulation). That can be pre-adjusted beforehand in a hidden menu for each program, which it's very useful when using both hands in a split and the performer has no way of attending the MW.

PD. To the Yamaha team: I'm pretty sure the CP73/88 are going to start a revolution on the scenarios :clap:
User avatar United States of America
Foppies

Unread post by Foppies » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:01 am

As you've stated and i totally agree. Id like to see maybe 2 mellow/softer concert pianos. The current cfx, and event the borsen is just too bright for any classical work...or even just soft ballads. I rarely use the others.. c7? I dont play in any bands either. The current pianos (cfx and borsen) are great for noisy bars and sing alongs. The uprights bring back many memories and are a very nice. They are great for anything retro.. and ragtime and boogie woogie..

The biggest fix i would like to see, is that they fix the sustain peddle while changing sounds. For example, if i hold the sustain peddle down, play a few notes, then switch sounds and play a few more notes, the 2nd sound does not sustain. I would assume that both sounds should sustain since the peddle is down and hasnt moved. Im not sure if anyone has encountered this at all... but i noticed it the first day i got my cp88. Its been a few months, and i have not searched for any 'fix'.. perhaps its a setting that i am not aware about. If you know, please speak up. :)
User avatar Australia
alecgargett

Unread post by alecgargett » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:56 am

I would like to have a good choir or two. Personally I prefer small choirs of one voice type. A small men's choir and a small women's choir would be great.

The CP 73 and 88 have both of those guitar sounds you ask for already I believe? Steel string acoustic and clean electric are the third to last and second to last sounds respectively.

I don't really care about organs but I agree with your other suggestions.

Return to “Yamaha CP73 and CP88 Forum”