Any word on new OS update at NAMM 2020?

Covers both the Yamaha CP73 & CP88

Moderators: parametric, SeaGtGruff

tfort

Any word on new OS update at NAMM 2020?

Unread post by tfort »

When the CP 73/88 first came out, Blake Angelos and others said Yamaha would be putting out new updates to the OS every 6 months. One has come out so far, which seemed a bit underwhelming. I'm curious if anyone has heard what might be in the next update, which I hope will be announced or discussed at NAMM in January. Six months from September would have the next update due out in March, and this cycle would theoretically continue?

I'd like to recommend that my son pick up a CP88 for music school, but am also leery of buying anything that isn't capable of being updated to MIDI 2.0. I know Athan Billias of Yamaha has been very visible with the AMEI and MMA, so assume that Yamaha has been making their recent products with MIDI 2.0 in mind?

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Re: Any word on new OS update at NAMM 2020?

Unread post by Saul »

I can confirm there is a v1.3 update coming and will be available as a free download starting today, Jan 16th. Check the front of the site for more details. The article should be online from 1am PT time or 9.02am UK time (Y)

Saul
Site Admin
Thalia Capos

Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.

tfort

Unread post by tfort »

The CFIII and two more Rhodes are great, but it doesn't seem like Yamaha wants to broaden the sound palette of the CPs. Disappointing, they are not addressing the boards' biggest shortcomings.

monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks »

Hi,

In particular the new Synth Brass patches are great and very usable (for both jazz and pop genres). Two of them are Oberheims!

Ta,

Paul

Cubase 9.5 / Sibelius 8.5

Dell Inspiron N5040, Windows 10 Home, 16GB RAM, 64-bit, 2.13gHz, Service Pack 1.

alecgargett

Unread post by alecgargett »

I'm glad they're putting out regular updates. I'd love some modern pop sounds. Retro synth sounds aren't that useful to me (or to many people I suspect), so it would be great if they could look at the modern synth sounds used on modern tracks like Shape of You, Sorry Not Sorry, Bad Guy, 7 Rings, Thank U Next, and make sure these types of sounds can be replicated on the CP73.