CP73 - issue with clanky and noisy keys

Covers both the Yamaha CP73 & CP88

Moderators: parametric, SeaGtGruff

wtschank

CP73 - issue with clanky and noisy keys

Unread post by wtschank »

Hi, after few weeks playing the Yamaha CP73 there is already a issue with clanky and noisy keys !

Using Yamaha keyboards for many years, I'm very disappointed about this product. :(

Maybe somebody has some similar experience?

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Re: CP73 - issue with clanky and noisy keys

Unread post by Saul »

wtschank wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:33 am
Hi, after a few weeks playing the Yamaha CP73 there is already an issue with clanky and noisy keys!

Using Yamaha keyboards for many years, I'm very disappointed about this product. :(

Maybe somebody has some similar experience?
Hi wtschank, welcome to the forums :)

That noise would drive me nuts! And it should not be happening, especially after just a few weeks.

As you probably know there has been a lot of discussion about similar issues with the Yamaha MODX and several other Yamaha keyboards that use the same type of keybed?

According to Yamaha, the CP73 features "newly-designed", 73-key balanced action keybed. And that could be the issue. Because they have obviously designed it to be lightweight and when you do that and at the same time try to provide a balanced action there will be compromises made.

I wonder if this is a modified version of the keybed fitted to the MODX?

In any case that doesn't help with your problem.

As the keyboard is just a few weeks old I think it HAS to go back to the dealer you bought it from or Yamaha themselves in order to be sorted/replaced.
Saul
Site Admin
#masks4all

Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is supported by Amazon Associate advertising links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help me via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.

wtschank

Hi Saul,

thanks for your prompt reply!

I did not know that noisy and clanky keys are a issue on Yamaha Keyboards, specially on the MODX.

As I had in the last years always some Yamaha Keyboards without problems, I am very astonished and somehow disappointed, specially that Yamaha is well known as a good Company and well renowned !

As I phoned to my dealer (Thomann) who is the biggest here in Europe, they told that this is a case of warranty and I should send the keyboard to the store. We will see what in the end will happen.

After hearing the stories about the problems of key beds from Yamaha and my own experience, unfortunately I will thing to resell the CP73.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Yes, it is indeed a shame that this has happened. There can, of course, be problems with any keybed but I think we have come to expect much higher quality from Yamaha over the years.

I think it comes down to how much you like the CP73? If in all other respects you really like it AND they can sort out the key issue then perhaps it is a keeper?

Of course, the thing now is that it becomes an issue of trust. There will now be a nagging doubt that the problem may occur again. This has been the case with the MODX. Some people are on their second or third MODX 8O

Personally I would give them a chance to replace the keyboard with the understanding that the warranty starts from the date you receive the replacement not the date you bought the original. Because quite frankly you should never have needed to make use of the warranty so soon after purchase.

Keep us posted on how you get on?
Saul
Site Admin
#masks4all

Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Please Note: This site is supported by Amazon Associate advertising links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help me via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.

wtschank

Obviously I'm not the only one with this problem! See following reports from another forum on this topic:

„I have had my CP73 since October and have noticed a few of my keys have this same issue. I'm also noticing that the keyboard is sluggish causing some pitches to be softer or drop out during fast passages. This happens often and seemingly randomly. Although I love the sound and interface of this instrument ultimately I'm looking for a replacement and will sell this one. Big disappointment!“

„My CP73 has the same issues with a B. I read "bad mister" response and I'm wondering if it's a joke !! It's absolutely not a stand issue !! are you Kidding !!??
The video perfectly shows that there is a huge difference between "broken" keys from others. And I can tell that I perfectly feel it with fingers when I play the "broken" key.
Something inside the keybed has changed on this note.. I would like to know if it's possible to fix it. I would like to know what is the chance to have a decent keybed after playing this CP73 several years ? Because, this issue starts 2 months after I buy it !! I don't want to hear stupid responses "do you cover your keyboard when you don't play it !!!!!!! THIS IS A STAGE KEYBOARD for professionnals musicians. It will be played inside, outside, in dusty places, many hours !! Could I hope that this keyboard will work more than 2 months ?
I played a motif 8 classic 15 years ago. I had many many problems with broken keys. It was not the same issue. I never had any response from Yamaha. Seems that things hasn't changed.„
I'm very sad because I love my CP 73. The keybed feels good. But is it reliable ? I'm mad when I hear responses that shows that the customers will not be respected.
Yamaha : have a look inside the keybed and tell us what happen.. that's what I want.“

wtschank

Just to keep you up to date:

After a month I received the info from my music store that the device could not be repaired.
Since there was no replacement device for an exchange, the full purchase price was refunded to me.

Now the search for a new stage piano starts again, but I can already say that it will probably not be a Yamaha CP 73.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Thanks for the update.

So they said it could not be repaired? I wonder if that was down to the Covid-19 thing or something more general. I know most if not all Yamaha service centres are shut at the moment so that could well be what it is about. Still, the main thing is you got a full refund and can now look for something more reliable...I hate saying that where Yamaha is concerned but there have been too many issues recently.

So what to go for now? KORG Grandstage, KORG SV2, Nord Electro 6D 73, Kurzweil Artis7 76? That is if you want to stick with the "Stage Piano" thing rather than a synth?
Saul
Site Admin
#masks4all

Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

wtschank

As far as I understand, Yamaha's service partners are operating in Germany despite the Corono crisis. So that shouldn't be the problem!

My next stage piano will likely be a Korg Grandstage or Korg SV2. The Nord Keyboards have a very good sound (maybe the best sounds), but I don't like the keybed and the price so much.

We will see...

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Ahh ok, since we lost the country flags extension on the forum I wasn't sure where you were located. In the USA the service centres are closed and I think it is the same here in the UK.

I do like the look of the KORG SV2 and Grandstage. Would be great to get a "hands-on" with them but that is a while away yet.
Saul
Site Admin
#masks4all

Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Helicon
Location.: USA

Unread post by Helicon »

Just received a new Yamaha Montage 7. Each key in the entire upper half of the keyboard has a very loud click/clack sound. What was surprising to me is that this exact problem has been shown and heard via YouTube video on a new Yamaha MODX 88, which has weighted keys. So we have both weighted and synth-action keys that have the same exact problems.

I thought perhaps the noise problem on my Montage 7 was a result of missing dampening material; however, the CP73 keyboard appears to have red felt in this section where the click/clack noise would be created; however, the keys are noisy.

The Montage 7 keys are extremely noisy and not tolerable...even when I tried putting on noise cancelling, closed-back Bose headphones!
(Obviously, the frequency and percussive nature of this click/clack cannot be filtered-out by the signal processing algorithm in the headphones!)

Updates from anyone?